-   -   How can I trigger kernel panic? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/644652-how-can-i-trigger-kernel-panic.html)

Jarry 03-14-2012 05:23 PM

How can I trigger kernel panic?

Hi,

my question might seem silly, but I have reason for it:
I have heard there is way to auto-reboot linux after kernel
panic using "kernel.panic=<time>" in /etc/sysctl.conf.

This might come handy as my server is far from me and I do
not have any remote console. But I would like to test it
and see if it works (first on my desktop).

So my question is: Can I somehow deliberately trigger
"kernel panic" (or "kernel oops")?

Jarry

"ZHANG, Le" 03-14-2012 05:41 PM

How can I trigger kernel panic?

my question might seem silly, but I have reason for it:

I have heard there is way to auto-reboot linux after kernel

panic using "kernel.panic=<time>" in /etc/sysctl.conf.

This might come handy as my server is far from me and I do

not have any remote console. But I would like to test it

and see if it works (first on my desktop).

So my question is: Can I somehow deliberately trigger

"kernel panic" (or "kernel oops")?
For panic,Â*echo c > /proc/sysrq-triggerÂ*

Jarry

Zhang Le, Robert
Gentoo/Loongson(龙芯) Developer
http://zhangle.is-a-geek.org

Michael Orlitzky 03-14-2012 05:48 PM

On 03/14/12 14:23, Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my question might seem silly, but I have reason for it:
> I have heard there is way to auto-reboot linux after kernel
> panic using "kernel.panic=<time>" in /etc/sysctl.conf.
>
> This might come handy as my server is far from me and I do
> not have any remote console. But I would like to test it
> and see if it works (first on my desktop).
>
> So my question is: Can I somehow deliberately trigger
> "kernel panic" (or "kernel oops")?

If you want to test the auto-reboot, try appending root=/dev/random to
the command line.

Jarry 03-15-2012 03:55 PM

On 14-Mar-12 19:41, ZHANG, Le wrote:

> So my question is: Can I somehow deliberately trigger
> "kernel panic" (or "kernel oops")?

For panic, echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger

After I issued the above mentioned command, my system
instantly "froze to death". Nothing changed on screen,
no "kernel panic" or "Ooops" screen. Just frozen...

No reaction to keyboard or mouse. No auto-reboot either.
The only thing I could do is to press "Reset". Not exactly
what I have been expecting...

Jarry

Michael Mol 03-15-2012 04:02 PM

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14-Mar-12 19:41, ZHANG, Le wrote:
>>

>> > * *So my question is: Can I somehow deliberately trigger
>> > * *"kernel panic" (or "kernel oops")?
>>
>> For panic, echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger
>

> After I issued the above mentioned command, my system
> instantly "froze to death". Nothing changed on screen,
> no "kernel panic" or "Ooops" screen. Just frozen...
>
> No reaction to keyboard or mouse. No auto-reboot either.
> The only thing I could do is to press "Reset". Not exactly
> what I have been expecting...

Were you running under X? The panic would have killed X, which
wouldn't have released control over the video hardware.

There's a SysRq sequence to get around this, but I don't remember it.

--
:wq

Mick 03-15-2012 06:17 PM

On Thursday 15 Mar 2012 17:02:15 Michael Mol wrote:

> >> For panic, echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger
> >
> > After I issued the above mentioned command, my system
> > instantly "froze to death". Nothing changed on screen,
> > no "kernel panic" or "Ooops" screen. Just frozen...
> >
> > No reaction to keyboard or mouse. No auto-reboot either.
> > The only thing I could do is to press "Reset". Not exactly
> > what I have been expecting...
>
> Were you running under X? The panic would have killed X, which
> wouldn't have released control over the video hardware.
>
> There's a SysRq sequence to get around this, but I don't remember it.

Ctrl+Alt+

R E I S U B

(busier in reverse)

After a E or I you should be back into a console, unless things are badly
screwed.
Mick

Michael Mol 03-15-2012 06:25 PM

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 Mar 2012 17:02:15 Michael Mol wrote:

>> > After I issued the above mentioned command, my system
>> > instantly "froze to death". Nothing changed on screen,
>> > no "kernel panic" or "Ooops" screen. Just frozen...
>> >
>> > No reaction to keyboard or mouse. No auto-reboot either.
>> > The only thing I could do is to press "Reset". Not exactly
>> > what I have been expecting...
>>
>> Were you running under X? The panic would have killed X, which
>> wouldn't have released control over the video hardware.
>>
>> There's a SysRq sequence to get around this, but I don't remember it.
>
> Ctrl+Alt+
>
> R E I S U B
>
> (busier in reverse)
>
> After a E or I you should be back into a console, unless things are badly
> screwed.

Is that Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+(R E I S U B), or is the SysRq key not actually used?

--
:wq

Neil Bothwick 03-15-2012 06:33 PM

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:25:43 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:

> Is that Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+(R E I S U B), or is the SysRq key not actually
> used?

Alt+SysReq+{R E I S U B}

--
Neil Bothwick

Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist?

Paul Hartman 03-15-2012 06:36 PM

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Were you running under X? The panic would have killed X, which
>>> wouldn't have released control over the video hardware.
>>>
>>> There's a SysRq sequence to get around this, but I don't remember it.
>>
>> Ctrl+Alt+
>>
>> R E I S U B
>>
>> (busier in reverse)
>>
>> After a E or I you should be back into a console, unless things are badly
>> screwed.
>
> Is that Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+(R E I S U B), or is the SysRq key not actually used?

Sysrq is definitely required :) Ctrl, on the other hand, is optional.
And AltGr may be substituted for Alt.

Mick 03-15-2012 06:43 PM

On Thursday 15 Mar 2012 19:36:16 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Ctrl+Alt+
> >>
> >> R E I S U B
> >>
> >> (busier in reverse)
> >>
> >> After a E or I you should be back into a console, unless things are
> >> badly screwed.
> >
> > Is that Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+(R E I S U B), or is the SysRq key not actually
> > used?
>
> Sysrq is definitely required :) Ctrl, on the other hand, is optional.
> And AltGr may be substituted for Alt.

Oops! yes, I meant to write SysRq ... sorry!
Mick