FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM
William Kenworthy
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
mandated by udev and am having some issues.

I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice and dont use an
initrd/initramfs.

As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
but there are various kludges to get it to work.

So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?

hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...

Are there any (up to date) docs?


BillK
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
> mandated by udev and am having some issues.
>
> I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice *and dont use an
> initrd/initramfs.
>
> As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
> installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
> disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
> but there are various kludges to get it to work.
>
> So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?
>
> hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...
>
> Are there any (up to date) docs?

Hi; not sure if it will help you, but I have been using
vanilla-sources since forever (sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.30.3,
since Aug 29, 2009), and my laptop suspends and resumes pretty much
always without any issue. I don't use genkernel: I manually configure
and compile my kernels since always, and I use dracut for my
initramfs.

Anyhow; suspend/resume should be orthogonal to an initramfs, since the
first has nothing to do with the second. I don't know about hibernate
(it's been years since I hibernated my laptop), but it should be
similar, I think.

In my laptop, GNOME does the suspend for me, but it calls pm-suspend
(I believe) from pm-utils.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 AM
William Kenworthy
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:13 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
> mandated by udev and am having some issues.
>
> I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice and dont use an
> initrd/initramfs.
>
> As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
> installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
> disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
> but there are various kludges to get it to work.
>
> So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?
>
> hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...
>
> Are there any (up to date) docs?
>
>
> BillK
>
>
>
>

According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
hibernation. I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.

Also, I have no /sbin/resume on any of my systems (some are years old
and have been successfully running ToI for most of that time) - so how
can the initramfs actually start resumimg?

Though I have a more immediate problem - hangs on hibernation and no log
messages.

BillK
 
Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 AM
William Kenworthy
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:49 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:13 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> > I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
> > mandated by udev and am having some issues.
> >
> > I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice and dont use an
> > initrd/initramfs.
> >
> > As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
> > installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
> > disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
> > but there are various kludges to get it to work.
> >
> > So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?
> >
> > hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...
> >
> > Are there any (up to date) docs?
> >
> >
> > BillK
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
> run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
> retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
> hibernation. I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
> the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.
>
> Also, I have no /sbin/resume on any of my systems (some are years old
> and have been successfully running ToI for most of that time) - so how
> can the initramfs actually start resumimg?
>
> Though I have a more immediate problem - hangs on hibernation and no log
> messages.
>
> BillK
>
>
>
>

Well, patching genkernel worked so its still broken as regards
suspend/resume - so I can now suspend/resume still with some errors.

Next problem is that there are error messages implying /usr might not be
mounted by the initramfs (some /usr files not found) ... is there
anything else that needs doing? Once the system is up /usr and all
other directories are correctly mounted (most are on LVM).

Is there a way to get a detailed log of what the initrd is doing/has
done?

BillK
 
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:20 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:49 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:13 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> > I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
>> > mandated by udev and am having some issues.
>> >
>> > I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice *and dont use an
>> > initrd/initramfs.
>> >
>> > As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
>> > installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
>> > disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
>> > but there are various kludges to get it to work.
>> >
>> > So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?
>> >
>> > hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...
>> >
>> > Are there any (up to date) docs?
>> >
>> >
>> > BillK
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
>> run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
>> retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
>> hibernation. *I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
>> the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.
>>
>> Also, I have no /sbin/resume on any of my systems (some are years old
>> and have been successfully running ToI for most of that time) - so how
>> can the initramfs actually start resumimg?
>>
>> Though I have a more immediate problem - hangs on hibernation and no log
>> messages.
>>
>> BillK
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> Well, patching genkernel worked so its still broken as regards
> suspend/resume - so I can now suspend/resume still with some errors.
>
> Next problem is that there are error messages implying /usr might not be
> mounted by the initramfs (some /usr files not found) ... is there
> anything else that needs doing? *Once the system is up /usr and all
> other directories are correctly mounted (most are on LVM).

Did you run genkernel with --lvm? Sorry, I don't use genkernel, but
dracut has several options to include arbitrary files on the
initramfs. I'm sure genkernel has something similar; why don't you try
to add the /usr missing files in the initramfs?

Good luck.

> Is there a way to get a detailed log of what the initrd is doing/has
> done?

> BillK
>
>
>
>



--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
 
Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
William Kenworthy
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 00:26 -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:20 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:49 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> >> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:13 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> >> > I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
> >> > mandated by udev and am having some issues.
> >> >


...


> >> BillK
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Well, patching genkernel worked so its still broken as regards
> > suspend/resume - so I can now suspend/resume still with some errors.
> >
> > Next problem is that there are error messages implying /usr might not be
> > mounted by the initramfs (some /usr files not found) ... is there
> > anything else that needs doing? Once the system is up /usr and all
> > other directories are correctly mounted (most are on LVM).
>
> Did you run genkernel with --lvm? Sorry, I don't use genkernel, but
> dracut has several options to include arbitrary files on the
> initramfs. I'm sure genkernel has something similar; why don't you try
> to add the /usr missing files in the initramfs?
>
> Good luck.
>
> > Is there a way to get a detailed log of what the initrd is doing/has
> > done?
>
> > BillK
> >



Good call! - was missing LVM. I thought the genkernel config file had
LVM as a default ... but it didnt so no error messages now.


BillK
 
Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Sebastian Pipping
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On 03/14/2012 04:49 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
> According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
> run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
> retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
> hibernation. I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
> the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.

I'd be interested to hear more details.
Can you share links to your sources with me?

Thanks,



Sebastian
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM
William Kenworthy
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 14:27 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> On 03/14/2012 04:49 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
> > According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
> > run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
> > retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
> > hibernation. I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
> > the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.
>
> I'd be interested to hear more details.
> Can you share links to your sources with me?
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> Sebastian
>

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156445 - particularly the
comment dated 2007-09-14 20:58:00 UTC.

and google gets others as well. There are a number of guides describing
the patching and related problems ... note that the above is 2007 ...
and it still doesnt work.

Basicly the question is does genkernel support some of the more complex
setups, but as having suspend/resume on a laptop is almost mandatory its
something genkernel should support out of the box. For my uses, if it
has to be patched to add such basic support ... its broke.

BillK
 
Old 03-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 14:27 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> On 03/14/2012 04:49 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
>> > According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
>> > run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
>> > retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
>> > hibernation. *I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
>> > the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear more details.
>> Can you share links to your sources with me?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156445 - particularly the
> comment dated 2007-09-14 20:58:00 UTC.
>
> and google gets others as well. *There are a number of guides describing
> the patching and related problems ... note that the above is 2007 ...
> and it still doesnt work.
>
> Basicly the question is does genkernel support some of the more complex
> setups, but as having suspend/resume on a laptop is almost mandatory its
> something genkernel should support out of the box. *For my uses, if it
> has to be patched to add such basic support ... its broke.

Mmmmh. Again, as I said before, suspend/resume should have nothing to
do with an initramfs. Hibernate it's the one that may need special
support from the initramfs to work.

Just to clarify, neither of them works for you without patching
genkernel? Or are you talking only about hibernate?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
 
Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 PM
"wdk@moriah"
 
Default suspend/hibernate and genkernel.

On 15/03/2012, at 0:54, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 14:27 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>>> On 03/14/2012 04:49 AM, William Kenworthy wrote:
>>>> According to the docs I have found you need to patch genkernel to
>>>> run /sbin/resume - it was a longstanding argument between two now
>>>> retired devs with the result that genkernel wont (ever) support
>>>> hibernation. I dont know from reading the bugs if it was ever fixed now
>>>> the dev who "wouldnt" has retired, or is genkernel is still broken.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested to hear more details.
>>> Can you share links to your sources with me?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>
>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=156445 - particularly the
>> comment dated 2007-09-14 20:58:00 UTC.
>>
>> and google gets others as well. There are a number of guides describing
>> the patching and related problems ... note that the above is 2007 ...
>> and it still doesnt work.
>>
>> Basicly the question is does genkernel support some of the more complex
>> setups, but as having suspend/resume on a laptop is almost mandatory its
>> something genkernel should support out of the box. For my uses, if it
>> has to be patched to add such basic support ... its broke.
>
> Mmmmh. Again, as I said before, suspend/resume should have nothing to
> do with an initramfs. Hibernate it's the one that may need special
> support from the initramfs to work.
>
> Just to clarify, neither of them works for you without patching
> genkernel? Or are you talking only about hibernate?
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>
I have only tested hibernate - some major problems when starting this morning, buts that's probably tuning for in-kernel as against a system setup for ToI.

I also am getting /usr errors again (both on boot and resume from hibernate, can't find some binaries on /usr, but mounts ok later in the sequence -maybe timing) - lack of detailed debug when in the initramfs is a problem - will have to start scattering print statements through it ...

This is on a home gateway/server that's shutdown/powered off overnight. Startup has to be fast as when power comes on (via remote controlled relays) there are PXE diskless NFS systems (mythtv front ends) that time out if it goes through a full boot sequence.

BillK
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:38 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org