Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default bindmount or symlink?

I am seriously thinking of splitting the storage of directories under /usr, e.g., /usr/portage and /usr/source actually living somewhere else, on different partition and different filesystem. Let's say something mounted on /mnt/Persistent.

My question: should I use bindmount or symlinks to do that? What's the drawbacks/benefits for either?

Rgds,

Old 03-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> I am seriously thinking of splitting the storage of directories under /usr,
> e.g., /usr/portage and /usr/source actually living somewhere else, on
> different partition and different filesystem. Let's say something mounted on
> /mnt/Persistent.
>
> My question: should I use bindmount or symlinks to do that? What's the
> drawbacks/benefits for either?

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What's the problem of having the
following in /etc/fstab?

LABEL=Portage /usr/portage ext4 noatime,auto 0 2
LABEL=Source /usr/source ext4 noatime,auto 0 2

(Replace LABEL=Portage with /dev/sda7, if you want to.)

Why do you need to bindmount or link the directories when you can
mount them wherever you want?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés