Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Michael Sullivan

Default Very OT - Displaylink adapter and setting up X

I feel really stupid asking this, but I want to use an HDMI component to
output one of my PCs to the TV set. I've followed all of the wiki entry
at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DisplayLink, but there's something else I
need to know. I get the green screen on the TV that it mentions when
the kernel module is being loaded correctly. The problem is that I use
gdm in /etc/conf.d/xdm DISPLAYMANAGER variable to start X, and I don't
know where the actual gdm configuration lives so I can tell it to use
~/.xinitrc2 from the wiki. My google searching hasn't been going well.
Can anybody give me any hints as to how to make progress on this problem?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Robert David

V Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:24:47 -0500
Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com> napsáno:

> I feel really stupid asking this, but I want to use an HDMI component
> to output one of my PCs to the TV set. I've followed all of the wiki
> entry at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/DisplayLink, but there's
> something else I need to know. I get the green screen on the TV that
> it mentions when the kernel module is being loaded correctly. The
> problem is that I use gdm in /etc/conf.d/xdm DISPLAYMANAGER variable
> to start X, and I don't know where the actual gdm configuration lives
> so I can tell it to use ~/.xinitrc2 from the wiki. My google
> searching hasn't been going well. Can anybody give me any hints as to
> how to make progress on this problem?

Hi Michael,

it depends on how you would like to use the external card. Please
specify your scenario.
Anyway, try to look in /etc/gdm, /etc/init.d/xdm, /etc/X11 (there can
be specified which server start in file xdm/Xservers)

I have DL adapter connected to my docking station and a simple script
to activate the second xserver on docking and deactivate that when
undocking. I simply run here second desktop using x2x. I just use that
primary for web browser, so I dont need xinerama.

You can also use DL with your primary card and xinerama. But it needs
specific xorg.conf and needs to be connected when xserver starting. So
nothing suitable for notebook and hotplug.

Robert.