Old 03-12-2012, 03:26 AM
赵佳晖

Default Can't went to the xfce desktop directly

Hello , everyone . I have install the xfce-meta followed the xfce handbook . But when i restart the computer . And the login manager(slim) appeared. I just enter my account and passwd . After that . the computer have become black with a mouse icon like x . *And i should use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to went to the tty , then when i run the command: startxfce4 , it tell me the X was already running . I should kill the X first or change the display number to start the xfce . I'm wonder how did this happen ? Did it because of the connection between Xorg and xfce ? *
* * Can anyone help me? i'm new to gentoo and I have no idea how to deal with it ? Can i find any log to find something?

--
好好**,天天向上!!!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Willie Matthews

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:26:40 +0800
赵佳晖 <jiahui.tar.gz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello , everyone . I have install the xfce-meta followed the xfce
> handbook . But when i restart the computer . And the login
> manager(slim) appeared. I just enter my account and passwd . After
> that . the computer have become black with a mouse icon like x . And
> i should use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to went to the tty , then when i run the
> command: startxfce4 , it tell me the X was already running . I should
> kill the X first or change the display number to start the xfce . I'm
> wonder how did this happen ? Did it because of the connection between
> Xorg and xfce ? Can anyone help me? i'm new to gentoo and I have no
> idea how to deal with it ? Can i find any log to find something?

It sounds as though you are starting only X and not xfce.

This is my logon_cmd from /etc/slim.conf
login_cmd exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax
--exit-with-session /bin/bash -login ~/.xinitrc %session >
~/.xsession-errors 2>&1

And this is my ~/.xinitrc

exec startxfce4

Everything is running great. If I am not mistaken that is all it will
take to get it running.

--

Willie Matthews
matthews.willie@gmail.com

Old 03-13-2012, 01:26 AM
赵佳晖

At first , my /etc/slim.conf is the default config . then i change to yours , it didn't work ... *Can i find some log to figure out something ?

在 2012年3月12日 下午1:46,Willie Matthews <matthews.willie@gmail.com>写道:

Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 AM
赵佳晖

i find “/usr/bin.xauth: file /var/run/slim.auth does not exist” *in my /var/log/slim.log , did this has some connection to my problem?

在 2012年3月13日 上午10:26,赵佳晖 <jiahui.tar.gz@gmail.com>写道:

Old 03-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Willie

Try to run XFCE without having slim running. So lets stop xdm from starting by running*/etc/init.d/xdm stop then you can try to run xfce by issuing the command startxfce4 or run startx.