Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Can I do a one-time boot to non-default kernel in Lilo?

Not exactly your typical "remote machine", but the principle is the
same. I have a dedicated HTPC machine next to my 50" plasma, connected
by 50 feet of ethernet cable to my computer den. I use the TV as a
monitor when running NHL GameCenter Live.

I have Lilo set up to "dual boot" between a "production" and an
"experimental" kernel. The first (i.e. default) boot option is the
"production" kernel. When I set up a new kernel, I try to always run it
as experimental. Even if the kernel panics, I don't<G>. I boot back
into the production kernel, and try again. Once the experimental kernel
has run for a couple of weeks without problems, I copy it over the
production kernel.

One problem... if I build a new kernel, is there a way to get the
"remote machine" to boot to the non-default experimental kernel just
once? Any future boots to default to production (unless its a restart
from hibernate).

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 03-12-2012, 02:35 AM
"Bruce Hill, Jr."

On March 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> Not exactly your typical "remote machine", but the principle is the
> same. I have a dedicated HTPC machine next to my 50" plasma, connected
> by 50 feet of ethernet cable to my computer den. I use the TV as a
> monitor when running NHL GameCenter Live.
>
> I have Lilo set up to "dual boot" between a "production" and an
> "experimental" kernel. The first (i.e. default) boot option is the
> "production" kernel. When I set up a new kernel, I try to always run it
> as experimental. Even if the kernel panics, I don't<G>. I boot back
> into the production kernel, and try again. Once the experimental kernel
> has run for a couple of weeks without problems, I copy it over the
> production kernel.
>
> One problem... if I build a new kernel, is there a way to get the
> "remote machine" to boot to the non-default experimental kernel just
> once? Any future boots to default to production (unless its a restart
> from hibernate).
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Unless I misunderstand you, after you issue "lilo" to write to the MBR,
then issue:
lilo -R experimental

where experimental is the name of the kernel image you want to boot. The R
creates a one time command which it will use the next time you boot, then
it will be erased.

And give the kernel an append statement:
append="panic=10"

so that if the kernel does not boot, you get automatically rebooted back
into the good kernel.

--
Happy Penguin Computers >`)
126 Fenco Drive (

Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 11:35:33PM -0400, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote

> Unless I misunderstand you, after you issue "lilo" to write to the MBR,
> then issue:
> lilo -R experimental
>
> where experimental is the name of the kernel image you want to boot. The R
> creates a one time command which it will use the next time you boot, then
> it will be erased.
>
> And give the kernel an append statement:
> append="panic=10"
>
> so that if the kernel does not boot, you get automatically rebooted back
> into the good kernel.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I vaguely remembered
reading about something this, but my Google-fu didn't quite work.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>