Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Florian Philipp

Default hard drive encryption

> This thread is becoming ridiculously long. Just as a last side-note:
>
> One of the primary reasons that the IA64 architecture failed was that it
> relied on the compiler to optimize the code in order to exploit the
> massive instruction-level parallelism the CPU offered. Compilers never
> became good enough for the job. Of course, that happended in the
> nineties and we have much better compilers now (and x86 is easier to
> handle for compilers). But on the other hand: That was Intel's next big
> thing and if they couldn't make the compilers work, I have no reason to
> believe in their efficiency now.
>
> Regards,
> Florian Philipp

Argh, just as I want to quit: I had the dates garbled up. IA64 came out
in 2001 but the compiler design was of course a product of the late
nineties and the design process started mid-nineties.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 07:58:55PM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:

> >> From what I can see in the kernel sources, there is a generic AES
> >> implementation using nothing but portable C code and then there is
> >> "aes-i586" assembler code with "aes_glue" C code.
> >
> >> So I assume the i586
> >> version is better for you --- unless GCC suddenly got a lot better at
> >> optimizing code.
> >
> > Since when, exactly? GCC isn't the best compiler at optimization, but
> > I fully expect current versions to produce better code for x86-64 than
> > hand-tuned i586. Wider registers, more registers, crypto acceleration
> > instructions and SIMD instructions are all very nice to have. I don't
> > know the specifics of AES, though, or what kind of crypto algorithm it
> > is, so it's entirely possible that one can't effectively parallelize
> > it except in some relatively unique circumstances.
> >

> One sec. We are talking about an Core2 Duo running in 32bit mode, right?
> That's what the i686 reference in the question meant --- or at least,
> that's what I assumed.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm running 32 bit, yes. I don't really see
the benefit of 64 bit for my use case. For all I know, the executables get
bigger and my poor old laptop will have to shuffle more bits around.

However, hardware AES would be *the* reason for me to, instead of a netbook,
buy something with an i5 in my next laptop, some time in the distant future.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Ein Computer stürzt nur ab, wenn der Text lange nicht gespeichert wurde.