-   -   gmail smtp overwrites the sender (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/643042-gmail-smtp-overwrites-sender.html)

András Csányi 03-10-2012 07:56 PM

gmail smtp overwrites the sender

Dear All,

I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu, and the email address is
sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu. Unfortunately, gmail smtp always overwrite the
sender email address. If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list
with this email address and the email is sent from my local machine
the respond always comes to my gmail address which used to
authenticate.

I have tried to set up my gmail account but doesn't matter what the
setup is the sender always will be overwrite. Do you know any solution
for this?

Thanks in advance!

András

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Stroller 03-11-2012 11:49 AM

On 10 March 2012, at 20:56, András Csányi wrote:
> … I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
> my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu, and the email address is
> sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu. Unfortunately, gmail smtp always overwrite the
> sender email address. … Do you know any solution
> for this?

Use a different SMTP server.

I don't believe there's any alternative.

Have you considered Postfix?

Stroller.

Nikos Chantziaras 03-11-2012 12:21 PM

gmail smtp overwrites the sender

I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu, and the email address is
sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu. Unfortunately, gmail smtp always overwrite the
sender email address.

Doesn't the verification email always go to the "From:" address rather
than the "Sender:" address? Doesn't make sense otherwise, since the
address you want to subscribe to the list is the "From:" one, not the
"Sender:" one.

András Csányi 03-11-2012 12:22 PM

On 11 March 2012 13:49, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10 March 2012, at 20:56, András Csányi wrote:
>> … I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
>> my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu, and the email address is
>> sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu. Unfortunately, gmail smtp always overwrite the
>> sender email address. … Â*Do you know any solution
>> for this?
>
> Use a different SMTP server.
>
> I don't believe there's any alternative.
>
> Have you considered Postfix?

What do you mean when you say Postfix? If I use postfix and google
smtp is the relay always happens the same. The sender will be
overwritten.
Thanks God, yahoo mail doesn't do this! Now, I use yahoo smtp.
Unfortunately I can't use yahoo smtp as relay with postfix because
there is an issue with STARTLS and a hack is needed. Yesterday I was
to tired to reconfigure the whole. Mutt is able to use remote smtp so
I can send emails.

--
- -
--Â* Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)Â* -- http://sayusi.hu --

Grant Edwards 03-11-2012 01:41 PM

On 2012-03-10, Andr??s Cs??nyi <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
> my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu, and the email address is
> sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu. Unfortunately, gmail smtp always overwrite the
> sender email address.

Indeed it does. AFAICT, there's nothing you can do about it.

> If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list with this email
> address and the email is sent from my local machine the respond
> always comes to my gmail address which used to authenticate.

That's how gmail works. It always forces the "from" address to be
your gmail account. IIRC, there's supposed to be a way to set the
"reply-to" address to a different address as long as that address is
one of the one's you have "authenticated".

> I have tried to set up my gmail account but doesn't matter what the
> setup is the sender always will be overwrite. Do you know any
> solution for this?

I don't think there is a solution other than use a different SMTP
server.

--
Grant

Pandu Poluan 03-11-2012 01:49 PM

On Mar 11, 2012 3:59 AM, "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,

> I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send

> my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu, and the email address is

> sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu. Unfortunately, gmail smtp always overwrite the

> sender email address. If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list

> with this email address and the email is sent from my local machine

> the respond always comes to my gmail address which used to

> authenticate.

> I have tried to set up my gmail account but doesn't matter what the

> setup is the sender always will be overwrite. Do you know any solution

> for this?

> Thanks in advance!

> András

See my email address? It's actually sent from Gmail. BUT, I have my own hosted website (with its own SMTP server).

Without your own SMTP server, Gmail will always send your email as "someone@gmail.com on behalf of someone@yourdomain.com".

After you have your own publicly accessible SMTP server, configure Gmail to send email via your SMTP server, then make the alternate account as your default account.

You can also configure your domain's SMTP server to not store your emails locally, but forward to your Gmail account. This way, everything will be handled through a single interface, i.e., Gmail's.

Rgds,

*

Nikos Chantziaras 03-11-2012 01:59 PM

gmail smtp overwrites the sender

I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu, and the email address is
sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu. Unfortunately, gmail smtp always overwrite the
sender email address.

Indeed it does. AFAICT, there's nothing you can do about it.

If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list with this email
address and the email is sent from my local machine the respond
always comes to my gmail address which used to authenticate.

That's how gmail works. It always forces the "from" address to be
your gmail account.

It doesn't. It works OK here. I think the OP means the "Sender", not
the "From:" address.

Nikos Chantziaras 03-11-2012 02:00 PM

<mailto:sayusi.ando@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send
> my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu <http://sayusi.hu>, and
the email address is
> sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu <mailto:sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu>. Unfortunately,
gmail smtp always overwrite the
> sender email address. If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list
> with this email address and the email is sent from my local machine
> the respond always comes to my gmail address which used to
> authenticate.
>
> I have tried to set up my gmail account but doesn't matter what the
> setup is the sender always will be overwrite. Do you know any solution
> for this?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> András

See my email address? It's actually sent from Gmail. BUT, I have my own
hosted website (with its own SMTP server).

Without your own SMTP server, Gmail will always send your email as
"someone@gmail.com <mailto:someone@gmail.com> on behalf of
someone@yourdomain.com <mailto:someone@yourdomain.com>".

That's also wrong. I use "From:" addresses that don't have any SMTP
associated with them. GMail only touches the "Sender:" address, not the
"From:" address.

Pandu Poluan 03-11-2012 02:18 PM

On Mar 11, 2012 10:08 PM, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/03/12 16:49, Pandu Poluan wrote:

>> On Mar 11, 2012 3:59 AM, "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@gmail.com

>> <mailto:sayusi.ando@gmail.com>> wrote:

>> *>

>> *> Dear All,

>> *>

>> *> I would like to ask some help! I would like to use gmail smtp to send

>> *> my email from my domain which is sayusi.hu <http://sayusi.hu>, and

>> the email address is

>> *> sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu <mailto:sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu>. Unfortunately,

>> gmail smtp always overwrite the

>> *> sender email address. If I would like to subscribe for a mailing list

>> *> with this email address and the email is sent from my local machine

>> *> the respond always comes to my gmail address which used to

>> *> authenticate.

>> *>

>> *> I have tried to set up my gmail account but doesn't matter what the

>> *> setup is the sender always will be overwrite. Do you know any solution

>> *> for this?

>> *>

>> *> Thanks in advance!

>> *>

>> *> András

>> *>

>> See my email address? It's actually sent from Gmail. BUT, I have my own

>> hosted website (with its own SMTP server).

>> Without your own SMTP server, Gmail will always send your email as

>> "someone@gmail.com <mailto:someone@gmail.com> on behalf of

>> someone@yourdomain.com <mailto:someone@yourdomain.com>".

> That's also wrong. *I use "From:" addresses that don't have any SMTP associated with them. *GMail only touches the "Sender:" address, not the "From:" address.

Yes, header-wise, the "From:" is not changed.

But, client-side, especially on Thunderbird and Outlook/Outlook Express, the *display* From: will look like that.

Rgds,

Nikos Chantziaras 03-11-2012 03:07 PM

<mailto:sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu <mailto:sayusi.ando@sayusi.hu>>.

<mailto:someone@gmail.com <mailto:someone@gmail.com>> on behalf of
<mailto:someone@yourdomain.com <mailto:someone@yourdomain.com>>".

> That's also wrong. I use "From:" addresses that don't have any SMTP
associated with them. GMail only touches the "Sender:" address, not the
"From:" address.

Yes, header-wise, the "From:" is not changed.

But, client-side, especially on Thunderbird and Outlook/Outlook Express,
the *display* From: will look like that.

There is no "display from". I use Thunderbird and it reports the "from"
correctly (that is, it says the mail did not come from GMail.) All mail
clients do that. They use the "From:" address. It's a standard
specified in an RFC.