Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Michael Mol

Default gmail smtp overwrites the sender

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 Mar 2012 14:51:10 Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Grant Edwards
>>
>> <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I know that was sometimes the case from the rejection message sent by
>> > the destination SMTP server. *Even though I had a static IP address
>> > and an valid MX entry for the sending machine's hostname, some sites
>> > wouldn't accept mail because my static IP addres was in a block used
>> > for DSL customers (of which I was one).
>>
>> Yeah, I can't even send email to my gmail account from my Comcast
>> public IPv4 address.
>
> Have you tried using port 587? *Comcast should accept relaying on that port
> IIRC with your customer username/passwd.

Researched that, but I ultimately didn't go that route because I
couldn't find any good documentation on the appropriate settings.

> Or are you saying that Google will not accept incoming mail from Comcast
> addresses/IP blocks?

Not saying that; to my knowledge, Gmail accepts relay through
Comcast's relay points, but I haven't tested that. I've only tested
direct connections.

--
:wq

Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Mick

On Thursday 15 Mar 2012 20:07:54 Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Have you tried using port 587? Comcast should accept relaying on that
> > port IIRC with your customer username/passwd.
>
> Researched that, but I ultimately didn't go that route because I
> couldn't find any good documentation on the appropriate settings.

OK, have a look at this in case it helps.

http://www.linuxha.com/other/sendmail/index.html

Mick

Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 Mar 2012 20:07:54 Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Have you tried using port 587? *Comcast should accept relaying on that
>> > port IIRC with your customer username/passwd.
>>
>> Researched that, but I ultimately didn't go that route because I
>> couldn't find any good documentation on the appropriate settings.
>
> OK, have a look at this in case it helps.
>
> *http://www.linuxha.com/other/sendmail/index.html

Cool beans. I'm not likely to change things (for now), but I'll
remember where I saw it, if I need it.
--
:wq