Old 03-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Grant Edwards

Default gmail smtp overwrites the sender

On 2012-03-11, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no "display from". I use Thunderbird and it reports the "from"
> correctly (that is, it says the mail did not come from GMail.) All mail
> clients do that.

Outlook never used to. It always used to display the "on behalf of"
stuff.

> They use the "From:" address. It's a standard specified in an RFC.

Oh, well Microsoft has never violated an RFC, so I'm sure you're right.

--
Grant

Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

There is no "display from". I use Thunderbird and it reports the "from"
correctly (that is, it says the mail did not come from GMail.) All mail
clients do that.

Outlook never used to. It always used to display the "on behalf of"
stuff.

They use the "From:" address. It's a standard specified in an RFC.

Oh, well Microsoft has never violated an RFC, so I'm sure you're right.

GMail does not generate an "on behalf of" header either. I just tested
it. I've sent an email through GMail's SMTP. Here are the relevant
headers of the email that arrived. "my_other_address" is what I used as