Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Michael Mol

Default photo viewer other than gthumb?

I typically use geeqie.

--
:wq

Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Daddy

*

On March 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a photo browser/viewer other than gthumb which is

> in portage or an overlay?

> - Grant

media-gfx/gqview

Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Michael Mol

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Daddy <daddy@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:

> On March 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a photo browser/viewer other than gthumb which is
>> in portage or an overlay?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> media-gfx/gqview

gqview became geeqie, FWIW. I don't recall the full story, but IIRC,
gqview stagnated, and geeqie is a fork.

--
:wq

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Philip Webb

120308 Grant wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a photo browser/viewer other than gthumb
> which is in portage or an overlay?

I use Gwenview to review collections & Feh to browse from a terminal:
I've used them a long time & strongly recommend both;
if you're allergic to KDE, Geeqie mb a useable alternative.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Daddy

On March 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Daddy <daddy@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:

> > On March 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can anyone recommend a photo browser/viewer other than gthumb which is

> >> in portage or an overlay?

> >> - Grant

> > media-gfx/gqview

> gqview became geeqie, FWIW. I don't recall the full story, but IIRC,

> gqview stagnated, and geeqie is a fork.

> --

> :wq

*

Thanks ... I'm an old CLI dinosaur and display has been working for me fine for so many years. Something recently changed where it's not going from one file to the next in a directory. Also, there was something else I used to generate thumbnails, but I forgot. Just emerge geeqie ... btw ... gqview was just recommended to me 2 days ago in #gentoo *

*

Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Daddy

*

*

On March 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> 120308 Grant wrote:

> > Can anyone recommend a photo browser/viewer other than gthumb

> > which is in portage or an overlay?

> I use Gwenview to review collections & Feh to browse from a terminal:

> I've used them a long time & strongly recommend both;

> if you're allergic to KDE, Geeqie mb a useable alternative.

*

Yeah, that was it ... feh

*

mingdao@t420 ~ $ grep feh good_commands *feh -t -Sfilename -E 128 -y 128 -W 1024 *

*

Now to figure out how to keep that page of thumbnails from overflowing my 1600x900 Fluxbox desktop.*

Old 03-09-2012, 05:20 AM
Philip Webb

120308 Daddy wrote:
> On March 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> I use Gwenview to review collections & Feh to browse from a terminal:
> Yeah, that was it ... feh. Now to figure out how to keep
> that page of thumbnails from overflowing my 1600x900 Fluxbox desktop.

I have a Bash alias : alias feht='feh -td -E 150 -y 150 -W 1800' ;
'feh <filespec>' shows a slideshow of successive pictures,
while 'feht <filespec>' shows an array of thumbnails inside the screen.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Bryan Gardiner

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 07:52:38 +0530
Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@nileshgr.com> wrote:

> On Fri 09 Mar 2012 07:50:24 AM IST, Grant wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a photo browser/viewer other than gthumb which
> > is in portage or an overlay?
> >
> > - Grant
> >

> gwenview. Part of KDE suite and depends on KDE libraries. Also,
> F-Spot (It's a photo manager I guess).

Here's another vote for Gwenview... Once it's set up to have all of
Gthumb's keyboard shortcuts .

- Bryan

Old 03-09-2012, 07:31 AM
YoYo Siska

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 10:48:30PM -0500, Daddy wrote:
> On March 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Daddy <daddy@happypenguincomputers.com>
> wrote:

> > > media-gfx/gqview
> >
> > gqview became geeqie, FWIW. I don't recall the full story, but IIRC,
> > gqview stagnated, and geeqie is a fork.
> >
> > --
> > :wq
>

> Thanks ... I'm an old CLI dinosaur and display has been working for me fine
> for so many years. Something recently changed where it's not going from one
> file to the next in a directory. Also, there was something else I used to
> generate thumbnails, but I forgot. Just emerge geeqie ... btw ... gqview
> was just recommended to me 2 days ago in #gentoo

For quick commandline viewing I use xv, it is simple, just shows the
image, can show multiple images (space, backspace to go through them, q
to quit,) and a few other resize / rotate options, if you rightclick on
the image, you get a 'menu' window with all the options and a list of
the images...

yoyo

Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 21:26:46 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:

> I typically use geeqie.

+1

--
Neil Bothwick

Some day my ship will come in, but with my luck, I'll be at the airport.