Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default netcat - which?

eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat

What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

*• LOPSA Member #15248
*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Benny Gchter

Am Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:03:45 +0700
schrieb Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info>:

> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat
>
> What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?
>
> Rgds,

net-analyzer/netcat is http://nc110.sourceforge.net/
and net-analyzer/gnu-netcat is http://netcat.sourceforge.net/

Afaik...

regards

Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Mick

On 7 March 2012 11:39, Benny Gchter <benny.gaechter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:03:45 +0700
> schrieb Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info>:
>
>> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat
>>
>> What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?
>>
>> Rgds,
>
> net-analyzer/netcat is http://nc110.sourceforge.net/
> and net-analyzer/gnu-netcat is http://netcat.sourceforge.net/
>
> Afaik...

The original netcat (net-analyzer/netcat) started suffering from bit
rot and Vapier launched the community edition
(http://nc110.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nc110/) in an effort to clean
the code so that it compiles with modern code and machines. However
that was 5 years ago. I don't know if progress has been slow, or no
devs showed up.

Then gnu-netcat kicked in to do the same thing not much later and also
cater for other platforms.

Finally, netcat6 http://netcat6.sourceforge.net/ showed up with
improvements claiming better ipv6 support and re-write of the netcat
code dropping some features and adding others.

For my rather basic needs and perhaps due to adoption inertia I am
still using the original netcat package, so can't advise about the
others.
Mick

Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
James

Pandu Poluan <pandu <at> poluan.info> writes:

> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat

This is a short, interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcat

I'm not sure what you using it for, but for routine
admin, I use nmap and zenmap:

http://nmap.org/zenmap/

hth,
James

Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Michael Mol

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat
>
> What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?

Dunno. FWIW, I'm using net-analyzer/netcat6

--
:wq

Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-03-07, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat
>
> What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?

My vote would be for netcat6, but I occasionally to IPv6 stuff...

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm having an
at emotional outburst!!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:
> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat
>
> What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?
>
> Rgds,
> --
> FdS Pandu E Poluan
> ~ IT Optimizer ~
>
> *• LOPSA Member #15248
> *• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
> *• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

For a third, unasked, option... if you're not using any of the more
extravagant features, you practically always have busybox on hand
already...

$ busybox nc
BusyBox v1.19.3 (2012-02-21 22:48:14 EST) multi-call binary.

Usage: nc [OPTIONS] HOST PORT - connect
nc [OPTIONS] -l -p PORT [HOST] [PORT] - listen

-e PROG Run PROG after connect (must be last)
-l Listen mode, for inbound connects
-p PORT Local port
-s ADDR Local address
-w SEC Timeout for connects and final net reads
-i SEC Delay interval for lines sent
-n Don't do DNS resolution
-u UDP mode
-v Verbose
-o FILE Hex dump traffic
-z Zero-I/O mode (scanning)

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 7, 2012 10:39 PM, "Joshua Murphy" <poisonbl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat

> > What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?

> > Rgds,

> > --

> > FdS Pandu E Poluan

> > ~ IT Optimizer ~

> > *• LOPSA Member #15248

> > *• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com

> > *• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

> For a third, unasked, option... if you're not using any of the more

> extravagant features, you practically always have busybox on hand

> already...

> $ busybox nc

> BusyBox v1.19.3 (2012-02-21 22:48:14 EST) multi-call binary.

> Usage: nc [OPTIONS] HOST PORT *- connect

> nc [OPTIONS] -l -p PORT [HOST] [PORT] *- listen

> * * * *-e PROG Run PROG after connect (must be last)

> * * * *-l * * *Listen mode, for inbound connects

> * * * *-p PORT Local port

> * * * *-s ADDR Local address

> * * * *-w SEC *Timeout for connects and final net reads

> * * * *-i SEC *Delay interval for lines sent

> * * * *-n * * *Don't do DNS resolution

> * * * *-u * * *UDP mode

> * * * *-v * * *Verbose

> * * * *-o FILE Hex dump traffic

> * * * *-z * * *Zero-I/O mode (scanning)

Thank You! For what I'm using netcat for (testing a single open port by sending / receiving certain messages), busybox apparently fits the bill nicely.

Much appreciated!

Rgds,