Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default tracking IT work

On Mar 6, 2012 5:57 PM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> Greetings,

> a somehow offtopic topic ... ;-)

> I assume most of you are sysadmins and IT guys, employed or running

> their own company.

> How do you track your work for customers?

> Especially the everyday tasks, which sometimes are very short and lots

> of them are done, hopping from one server/customer to the next.

> Do you use something like the gnome hamster applet? I lost track of it

> since gnome-3 ...

> I am still searching for an efficient way to track my work as I often

> get the feeling that I lose money by not keeping enough logs of my

> everyday work. Also the many todos are often hard to maintain, I don't

> really like creating tasks in Lightning, for example.

> I'd like to hear your opinions and recommendations, for sure I'd be

> happy to hear that the tools are available within portage.

> Thanks, Stefan

Well, I use Gleeo Time Tracker on my Samsung Galaxy W phone... that way I don't have to power up my laptop just to record time...

Rgds,

Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 06.03.2012 13:58, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> Well, I use Gleeo Time Tracker on my Samsung Galaxy W phone... that way
> I don't have to power up my laptop just to record time...

I installed it and will have a look, thanks.

It depends on the workflow, I'd want something accessible from the
desktop as well. But I test ;-)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 6, 2012 8:24 PM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> Am 06.03.2012 13:58, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> > Well, I use Gleeo Time Tracker on my Samsung Galaxy W phone... that way

> > I don't have to power up my laptop just to record time...

> I installed it and will have a look, thanks.

> It depends on the workflow, I'd want something accessible from the

> desktop as well. But I test ;-)

Well, of course sooner or later, you'll have to use a desktop to produce a billable report. Gleeo is perfectly able to export to CSV, and you can tabulate the data using LibreOffice.

Rgds,

Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 06 Mar 2012 13:30:46 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2012 8:24 PM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:
> > Am 06.03.2012 13:58, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
> > > Well, I use Gleeo Time Tracker on my Samsung Galaxy W phone... that way
> > > I don't have to power up my laptop just to record time...
> >
> > I installed it and will have a look, thanks.
> >
> > It depends on the workflow, I'd want something accessible from the
> > desktop as well. But I test ;-)
>
> Well, of course sooner or later, you'll have to use a desktop to produce a
> billable report. Gleeo is perfectly able to export to CSV, and you can
> tabulate the data using LibreOffice.
>
> Rgds,

* app-office/taskcoach
Available versions:
1.2.31 "amd64 x86" [libnotify]
~ 1.3.8 "~amd64 ~x86" [libnotify]
Homepage: http://www.taskcoach.org
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/TaskCoach

Don't know if there is a phone version too.
Mick

Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 06.03.2012 14:30, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> Well, of course sooner or later, you'll have to use a desktop to produce
> a billable report. Gleeo is perfectly able to export to CSV, and you can
> tabulate the data using LibreOffice.

Sure. What I meant is that it sounds a bit strange to have to use my
smartphone to track work while I sit at my
2x22"-displays-fully-powered-workstation-with-keyboard all day long ;-)

Old 03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 6, 2012 9:46 PM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> Am 06.03.2012 14:30, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> > Well, of course sooner or later, you'll have to use a desktop to produce

> > a billable report. Gleeo is perfectly able to export to CSV, and you can

> > tabulate the data using LibreOffice.

> Sure. What I meant is that it sounds a bit strange to have to use my

> smartphone to track work while I sit at my

> 2x22"-displays-fully-powered-workstation-with-keyboard all day long ;-)

Ah, I see :-)

My workflow happens to be jumping from a station to another, so I try not turning on my laptop, reserving its battery for the times when I truly need it. That's why I prefer having my time tracker on my phone, which stays on 24x7.

Rgds,

Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 06.03.2012 16:55, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> My workflow happens to be jumping from a station to another, so I try
> not turning on my laptop, reserving its battery for the times when I
> truly need it. That's why I prefer having my time tracker on my phone,
> which stays on 24x7.

Makes perfect sense in your case. Do you have each customer as a project
or how do you organize it?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 7, 2012 12:06 AM, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@xunil.at> wrote:

> Am 06.03.2012 16:55, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> > My workflow happens to be jumping from a station to another, so I try

> > not turning on my laptop, reserving its battery for the times when I

> > truly need it. That's why I prefer having my time tracker on my phone,

> > which stays on 24x7.

> Makes perfect sense in your case. Do you have each customer as a project

> or how do you organize it?

Yes, each customer is a project, then I create the following taskslots immediately: Planning, Preparation, Deploy, Test, Final. I may add or delete taskslots as I see fit later on during Planning.

Then, I just tap on Gleeo's "play" icon whenever I begin working.

Rgds,

Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 06.03.2012 18:25, schrieb Pandu Poluan:

> Yes, each customer is a project, then I create the following taskslots
> immediately: Planning, Preparation, Deploy, Test, Final. I may add or
> delete taskslots as I see fit later on during Planning.
>
> Then, I just tap on Gleeo's "play" icon whenever I begin working.

I will "play" with it for a while to see if it fits ;-)

The gnome hamster applet would be helpful if it worked against a DB
somewhere ... have it on the desktop and the thinkpad and just press the
shortkey ....

gotta check how it works with gnome3 now.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 06.03.2012 21:32, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> The gnome hamster applet would be helpful if it worked against a DB
> somewhere ... have it on the desktop and the thinkpad and just press the
> shortkey ....
>
> gotta check how it works with gnome3 now.

The dev has some work done for an extension for gnome shell:

https://github.com/tbaugis/hamster-shell-extension

Something for my todo-list. If I had some ;-)