Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Mick

Default Why can't I print in landscape?

Is there some secret setting to allow me to print in landscape from FF, or
Chromium, or Okular?

No matter what I set in the application my printer (HP 930c) will only print
in portrait and chop off half the page. :-(
Mick

Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
walt

On 03/05/2012 02:24 PM, Mick wrote:
> Is there some secret setting to allow me to print in landscape from FF, or
> Chromium, or Okular?
>
> No matter what I set in the application my printer (HP 930c) will only print
> in portrait and chop off half the page. :-(

In FF I see buttons for portrait and landscape in the 'print setup' and 'print
preview' menus. You don't have those buttons?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Mick

On Monday 05 Mar 2012 23:55:31 walt wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 02:24 PM, Mick wrote:
> > Is there some secret setting to allow me to print in landscape from FF,
> > or Chromium, or Okular?
> >
> > No matter what I set in the application my printer (HP 930c) will only
> > print in portrait and chop off half the page. :-(
>
> In FF I see buttons for portrait and landscape in the 'print setup' and
> 'print preview' menus. You don't have those buttons?

Yes I do. I select landscape and get portrait coming out. :-(

Also, in a full KDE desktop I select the hplip tooltray applet (or whatever
its called) and also change in there the settings to print landscape.

Still no success.

Only in libreoffice I can print in landscape a test page, after I change the
libreoffice print manager settings, but what I want is to print one of the
google maps in landscape from a browser and can't do it! Even when I print in
pdf from the browser (the pdf is landscape) I can't thereafter print it as
such. It keeps coming out as portrait.

I stopped printing for now because I'm running out of paper! :-/
Mick

Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
walt

On 03/05/2012 04:52 PM, Mick wrote:

> Also, in a full KDE desktop I select the hplip tooltray applet (or whatever
> its called) and also change in there the settings to print landscape.

I discovered (the very hard way) to delete and re-create the printer
devices whenever I update hplip. I kept seeing some really weird printing
bugs that no one else was seeing, until I deleted and re-created the
devices with hp-setup. Worth a try, anyway.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 04:52 PM, Mick wrote:
>
>> Also, in a full KDE desktop I select the hplip tooltray applet (or whatever
>> its called) and also change in there the settings to print landscape.
>
> I discovered (the very hard way) to delete and re-create the printer
> devices whenever I update hplip. *I kept seeing some really weird printing
> bugs that no one else was seeing, until I deleted and re-created the
> devices with hp-setup. *Worth a try, anyway.

With my printer, I must re-run the HP firmware plug-in downloader as
root every time I update hplip. If I forget to do that, the printer
either does not work at all or appears to be working but may do crazy
things.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Dale

Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 5:04 PM, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/05/2012 04:52 PM, Mick wrote:
>>
>>> Also, in a full KDE desktop I select the hplip tooltray applet (or whatever
>>> its called) and also change in there the settings to print landscape.
>>
>> I discovered (the very hard way) to delete and re-create the printer
>> devices whenever I update hplip. I kept seeing some really weird printing
>> bugs that no one else was seeing, until I deleted and re-created the
>> devices with hp-setup. Worth a try, anyway.
>
> With my printer, I must re-run the HP firmware plug-in downloader as
> root every time I update hplip. If I forget to do that, the printer
> either does not work at all or appears to be working but may do crazy
> things.

I have had to do the same thing. I have also noticed if I don't run the
config tool that it will max out one CPU core until I kill hplip or log
out and sometimes have to kill hplip then.

Recently, I have noticed I don't have to do that and everything works as
expected. Sort of surprised really. I have got so used to redoing
everything after a update.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 02:11:37 Dale wrote:
> Paul Hartman wrote:
> >>
> >> I discovered (the very hard way) to delete and re-create the printer
> >> devices whenever I update hplip. I kept seeing some really weird
> >> printing bugs that no one else was seeing, until I deleted and
> >> re-created the devices with hp-setup. Worth a try, anyway.
> >
> > With my printer, I must re-run the HP firmware plug-in downloader as
> > root every time I update hplip. If I forget to do that, the printer
> > either does not work at all or appears to be working but may do crazy
> > things.
>
> I have had to do the same thing. I have also noticed if I don't run the
> config tool that it will max out one CPU core until I kill hplip or log
> out and sometimes have to kill hplip then.
>
> Recently, I have noticed I don't have to do that and everything works as
> expected. Sort of surprised really. I have got so used to redoing
> everything after a update.

Thanks guys, but I think that I only use the hpjis driver rather than the full
hplip package. This is because the printer is connected to this printer
server:

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2516/

which works with lpd://<ip_address>

I remember running the hp-config or some such script some years back. It did
not find the printer, or server, or ever configured anything. It only tried to
connect to USB devices. Now looking at my machine I can't see it anywhere,
but there's loads of other commands there!

hp-align hp-info hp-pqdiag hp-systray
hp-check hp-levels hp-print hp-testpage
hp-clean hp-linefeedcal hp-printsettings hp-timedate
hp-colorcal hp-makecopies hp-probe hp-toolbox
hp-devicesettings hp-makeuri hp-query hp-unload
hp-fab hp-mkuri hp-scan hp-wificonfig
hp-faxsetup hp-pkservice hp-sendfax hpftodit
hp-firmware hp-plugin hp-setup hpijs

I will try to run some of these when I get to that machine next, because I
will be interested to see if it changes anything. Any suggestions what I
should run?
Mick

Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 06:49:10 Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 02:11:37 Dale wrote:
> > Paul Hartman wrote:

> > > With my printer, I must re-run the HP firmware plug-in downloader as
> > > root every time I update hplip. If I forget to do that, the printer
> > > either does not work at all or appears to be working but may do crazy
> > > things.
> >
> > I have had to do the same thing. I have also noticed if I don't run the
> > config tool that it will max out one CPU core until I kill hplip or log
> > out and sometimes have to kill hplip then.
> >
> > Recently, I have noticed I don't have to do that and everything works as
> > expected. Sort of surprised really. I have got so used to redoing
> > everything after a update.
>
> Thanks guys, but I think that I only use the hpjis driver rather than the
> full hplip package. This is because the printer is connected to this
> printer server:
>
> http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2516/
>
> which works with lpd://<ip_address>
>
> I remember running the hp-config or some such script some years back. It
> did not find the printer, or server, or ever configured anything. It only
> tried to connect to USB devices. Now looking at my machine I can't see it
> anywhere, but there's loads of other commands there!
>
> hp-align hp-info hp-pqdiag hp-systray
> hp-check hp-levels hp-print hp-testpage
> hp-clean hp-linefeedcal hp-printsettings hp-timedate
> hp-colorcal hp-makecopies hp-probe hp-toolbox
> hp-devicesettings hp-makeuri hp-query hp-unload
> hp-fab hp-mkuri hp-scan hp-wificonfig
> hp-faxsetup hp-pkservice hp-sendfax hpftodit
> hp-firmware hp-plugin hp-setup hpijs
>
> I will try to run some of these when I get to that machine next, because I
> will be interested to see if it changes anything. Any suggestions what I
> should run?

Oops! Yes, it was hp-setup as you say. Will try that again and see what it
gives.

Mick

Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 06:51:41 Mick wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012 06:49:10 Mick wrote:

> > > I have had to do the same thing. I have also noticed if I don't run
> > > the config tool that it will max out one CPU core until I kill hplip
> > > or log out and sometimes have to kill hplip then.
> > >
> > > Recently, I have noticed I don't have to do that and everything works
> > > as expected. Sort of surprised really. I have got so used to redoing
> > > everything after a update.
> >
> > Thanks guys, but I think that I only use the hpjis driver rather than the
> > full hplip package. This is because the printer is connected to this
> > printer server:
> >
> > http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2516/
> >
> > which works with lpd://<ip_address>
> >
> > I remember running the hp-config or some such script some years back. It
> > did not find the printer, or server, or ever configured anything. It
> > only tried to connect to USB devices.

OK, I just ran it and it won't find the printer. I think hplip will not run on
lpd:// protocol, which is strange because hpijs works fine - well, was working
fine.

hp-setup fails for my network server and defaults to USB:
# hp-setup -i 10.10.10.4

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.10)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to
accept the default.)

Using connection type: usb
error:
Invalid device URI:
error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

hp-probe won't find it either:
$ hp-probe -bnet

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.10)
Printer Discovery Utility ver. 4.1

Copyright (c) 2001-9 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

--------------------
| DEVICE DISCOVERY |
--------------------

Probing network for printers. Please wait, this will take approx. 10
seconds...
warning:
No devices found on the 'net' bus. If this isn't the result you are expecting,
warning: check your network connections and make sure your internet
warning: firewall software is disabled.

Done.

However, the PS121 print server is there waiting for connections and the HP
930c is connected to it and switched on:

$ nc -v -w 2 -z 10.10.10.4 1-10000
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 9100 (jetdirect) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 3010 (?) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 631 (ipp) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 515 (printer) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 139 (netbios-ssn) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 80 (http) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 23 (telnet) open
PS121.STUDY [10.10.10.4] 21 (ftp) open

These are my flags:

[i] net-print/hplip
Installed versions: 3.11.10(20:12:51 01/29/12)(X acl hpcups hpijs kde
libnotify policykit qt4 -doc -fax -minimal -parport -scanner -snmp -static-
ppds)

[i] net-print/cups
Installed versions: 1.4.8-r1!t(18:07:11 01/29/12)(X acl dbus filters jpeg
ldap pam png ssl threads tiff -debug -elibc_FreeBSD -gnutls -java -kerberos -
linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_es -linguas_eu -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -
linguas_id -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ko -linguas_nl -linguas_no -
linguas_pl -linguas_pt -linguas_pt_BR -linguas_ru -linguas_sv -linguas_zh -
linguas_zh_TW -perl -php -python -slp -static-libs -xinetd)

Am I missing something obvious?
Mick