Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Michael Mol

Default Color profiles and colorspace awareness

What's the current state of color space awareness and color profiles
on Linux? I'm at the point where I'd be willing to spring for a
calibration kit to calibrate my monitors, which did not themselves
come with color profiles...except all the kits I've seen seem to
assume Windows.

I'd like to move towards having a full color-aware workflow for both
my LDR and HDR (DEF->JPG, DEF->hugin->stitch->JPG) work, and I'd like
to do it on Linux. I don't want to ask these kinds of questions in
more photography-oriented environments, because I'm tired of being
peppered with "Just use a Mac", "Just use Windows" and "Just use
Photoshop" responses. I know Gimp and ufraw support colorspace
profiles, I've seen the USE flags in portage, it's just the inputs and
outputs of my workflow which I don't yet see how to cover.

Slightly offtopic: I'd love to be able to set up a color profile for
my Pentax K-x's raw output, too. Anyone aware of a

--
:wq

Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the current state of color space awareness and color profiles
> on Linux? I'm at the point where I'd be willing to spring for a
> calibration kit to calibrate my monitors, which did not themselves
> come with color profiles...except all the kits I've seen seem to
> assume Windows.

media-gfx/argyllcms supports many kinds of hardware calibration
devices and lets you do color management in gentoo. Their website has
a list of the supported hardware:
http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html

I have not used it myself, but hopefully that's enough to get you
Googling for some case studies

Old 03-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What's the current state of color space awareness and color profiles
>> on Linux? I'm at the point where I'd be willing to spring for a
>> calibration kit to calibrate my monitors, which did not themselves
>> come with color profiles...except all the kits I've seen seem to
>> assume Windows.
>
> media-gfx/argyllcms supports many kinds of hardware calibration
> devices and lets you do color management in gentoo. Their website has
> a list of the supported hardware:
> http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html
>
> I have not used it myself, but hopefully that's enough to get you
> Googling for some case studies

That's exactly the kind of lead I needed, thanks!

--
:wq