Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
claude angéloz

Default EFI Boot Gentoo DVD-Live amd64 und HP-EFI-Bios

Hi,

If eyeverone has an experience with that.

I can boot in EFI Mode and install some other Linux distros on my
Hp8440p . And I will do the same for Gentoo, but until today I cannot do
that, or exactly only in legacy-boot. And this is perturbing my GPT
Partition Table...

I guess that actually it should not be a big problem. I tried with the
IA64 and the hp-efi-bios sees the elilo.efi , but it cannot boot this
kernel.. normal..

But with the amd64, i should be able to see the elilo.efi. The dvd or
mimnimalcd install cannot boot the gentoo.efimg Image. Or am I
false ?

What is missing in the DVD-Live or Minimal CD Install to boot correctly
in EFI Mode ?

The path /boot/efi/ is missing ... like one of the working other
distro...

Thank you very much..

Claude

Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Stroller

On 5 March 2012, at 13:51, claude angéloz wrote:
> What is missing in the DVD-Live or Minimal CD Install to boot correctly
> in EFI Mode ?
>
> The path /boot/efi/ is missing ... like one of the working other
> distro...

Use a different liveCD. Try systemRescueCD first. Earlier today Grant mentioned success with a kbuntu disk (I thought they'd stopped making that?).

Stroller.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM
claude angéloz

Hi,

Thank.
With the last SytemRescueCD (copied to an usb-stick) my efi bios see
that the usb-stick coulb be "efi-bootable". I see both HD and the USB
Devices in my "EFI Navigator"..

I can navigate within the SystemRescueCD trough my EFI "FileSystem
Navigator" . I cannot boot on this usb (open an .efi file), however. Now
I will check the files needed which was wrotten in my usb.

I guess that I must "transfer" the Gentoo 2012 dvd Image file to my
usb stick...but i dont know exact. I see an old procedure to put a cd
into an usb ...but i am not sure if it is same about to Gento 2012..

Or I must change the DVD Gentoo 2012 ISO Image (or an old version) to
includes an " efi-able" boot sector ... but i dont know how to
"rebuild" the iso image from a file system which includes the right dvd
boot sector.

Claude

Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
claude angéloz

Hi,

I found the following link to create an usblive
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

I will try this to check if this will be efi-able bootable....

Claude

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 16:22:35 +0000, Stroller wrote:

> Use a different liveCD. Try systemRescueCD first. Earlier today Grant
> mentioned success with a kbuntu disk (I thought they'd stopped making
> that?).

They have, or at least they've stopped financing it, so it will be purely
community supported now, but they haven't unmade the discs that are
already out there

--
Neil Bothwick

Press every key to continue.