Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Paul Hartman

Default Anyone used NILFS2?

I'm very interested in NILFS2 and considering using it as rootfs. I
read some good reviews and seems to perform okay in benchmarks. The
automatic checkpoints/snapshots sounds like it could be useful. (I'm
thinking especially to see prior versions of files in /etc for
example.)

Have any of you used NILFS2 and have any failures or success to report?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Heorhi Valakhanovich

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:59:54 -0600
Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very interested in NILFS2 and considering using it as rootfs. I
> read some good reviews and seems to perform okay in benchmarks. The
> automatic checkpoints/snapshots sounds like it could be useful. (I'm
> thinking especially to see prior versions of files in /etc for
> example.)
>
> Have any of you used NILFS2 and have any failures or success to
> report?

I had some issues with NILFS2. It sometimes "breaks" and still has no
checking-repairing utility. I never lost my data, but garbage collector
couldn't work.

Such things happen rarely, but may be dangerous in production.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Michael Trausch

If you're looking for a flexible filesystem, try btrfs. It is quite nice. It still needs some help in the performance department, but given a recent Linux kernel (say, 3.2) it works wonderfully. I use its snapshots and COW functionality the most.

The only downside to it is that it sometimes is slowish when I do many writes in a short period of time. Also, fsync() still takes awhile, so applications that use it liberally, such as dpkg, can run very slow.* Things which use SQLite also suffer under heavy write loads.

For that reason alone, I wouldn't yet use it on a database server. I would use it on a read-mostly file server, however.

--

Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich-powered HTC G2

Please excuse any typos.