Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Dale

Default Python update question

Howdy,

I'm just wanting to make certain I don't break my rig. Info first:

root@fireball / # eselect python list
Available Python interpreters:
[1] python2.7 *
[2] python3.1
[3] python3.2
root@fireball / #

I ran --depclean and it wants to remove python 3.1. I ran python
updater and recompiled the needed packages. Since python 2.7 is the
default python, is it safe to remove python 3.1? As we all know, python
and portage is really good friends and portage gets real upset when it
looses its friend. I'd much rather ask this question than have to start
a thread on how to repair python with a dead portage.

So, safe to remove? I'm thinking it is but just want the comfort of
taking someone else with me it is breaks. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Dale

Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm just wanting to make certain I don't break my rig. Info first:
>
> root@fireball / # eselect python list
> Available Python interpreters:
> [1] python2.7 *
> [2] python3.1
> [3] python3.2
> root@fireball / #
>
> I ran --depclean and it wants to remove python 3.1. I ran python
> updater and recompiled the needed packages. Since python 2.7 is the
> default python, is it safe to remove python 3.1? As we all know, python
> and portage is really good friends and portage gets real upset when it
> looses its friend. I'd much rather ask this question than have to start
> a thread on how to repair python with a dead portage.
>
> So, safe to remove? I'm thinking it is but just want the comfort of
> taking someone else with me it is breaks. lol
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

I really need to not post when I take my meds. lol The last line
should read "* someone else with me if it breaks."

Meds. They help some things but hurt other things. o_O

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> root@fireball / # eselect python list
> Available Python interpreters:
> [1] python2.7 *
> [2] python3.1
> [3] python3.2
> root@fireball / #
>
> I ran --depclean and it wants to remove python 3.1. I ran python
> updater and recompiled the needed packages. Since python 2.7 is the
> default python, is it safe to remove python 3.1? As we all know, python
> and portage is really good friends and portage gets real upset when it
> looses its friend. I'd much rather ask this question than have to start
> a thread on how to repair python with a dead portage.
>
> So, safe to remove? I'm thinking it is but just want the comfort of
> taking someone else with me it is breaks. lol

It's safe, your portage uses 2.7.

Wonko

Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Dale

Alex Schuster wrote:
> Dale writes:
>
>> root@fireball / # eselect python list
>> Available Python interpreters:
>> [1] python2.7 *
>> [2] python3.1
>> [3] python3.2
>> root@fireball / #
>>
>> I ran --depclean and it wants to remove python 3.1. I ran python
>> updater and recompiled the needed packages. Since python 2.7 is the
>> default python, is it safe to remove python 3.1? As we all know, python
>> and portage is really good friends and portage gets real upset when it
>> looses its friend. I'd much rather ask this question than have to start
>> a thread on how to repair python with a dead portage.
>>
>> So, safe to remove? I'm thinking it is but just want the comfort of
>> taking someone else with me it is breaks. lol
>
> It's safe, your portage uses 2.7.
>
> Wonko

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking it was but wanted to double
check.

Thanks again.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm just wanting to make certain I don't break my rig. *Info first:
>
> root@fireball / # eselect python list
> Available Python interpreters:
> *[1] * python2.7 *
> *[2] * python3.1
> *[3] * python3.2
> root@fireball / #
>
> I ran --depclean and it wants to remove python 3.1. *I ran python
> updater and recompiled the needed packages. *Since python 2.7 is the
> default python, is it safe to remove python 3.1? *As we all know, python
> and portage is really good friends and portage gets real upset when it
> looses its friend. *I'd much rather ask this question than have to start
> a thread on how to repair python with a dead portage.
>
> So, safe to remove? *I'm thinking it is but just want the comfort of
> taking someone else with me it is breaks. *lol
>
> Dale

You should be safe but please do an

eselect python list --python3

and make sure you're set to 3.2 before removing 3.1.

HTH,
Mark

Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Tanstaafl