Old 03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Tanstaafl

Default MySQL > MariaDB - is it time?

Hi all,

I just came across this thread today on the MariaDB discuss list about
the poor stewardship of Oracle with respect to MySQL (and it references
Oracle's track record of poor handling of the FLOSS projects it
inherited when it bought Sun):

https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-discuss/msg00514.html

In it is discussed - among many other things including lots of good
reason *why* - the possibility of replacing MySQL with MariaDB in
anticipation of Oracle's current poor stewardship of MySQL...

My question is - shouldn't gentoo be considering this move as well?

I've been seriously considering this for my own servers for some time,
and after reading this, I think it is time to stop thinking about it and
just do it, but I'm a bit nervous - ianap, and don't want to shoot
myself in the foot in the process.

Anyone here ever done the switch want to share their experience?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Matthew Finkel

I just came across this thread today on the MariaDB discuss list about the poor stewardship of Oracle with respect to MySQL (and it references Oracle's track record of poor handling of the FLOSS projects it inherited when it bought Sun):

https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-discuss/msg00514.html

In it is discussed - among many other things including lots of good reason *why* - the possibility of replacing MySQL with MariaDB in anticipation of Oracle's current poor stewardship of MySQL...

My question is - shouldn't gentoo be considering this move as well?

I've been seriously considering this for my own servers for some time, and after reading this, I think it is time to stop thinking about it and just do it, but I'm a bit nervous - ianap, and don't want to shoot myself in the foot in the process.

Anyone here ever done the switch want to share their experience?

It's definitely an interesting dilemma, but one that was expected to happen eventually. Lucky Gentoo doesn't have to worry about release cycles. MariaDB is in portage so, in theory, it shouldn't be too difficult for any of us to make the switch.

- Matt

Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Mar 2, 2012 3:50 AM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> Hi all,

> I just came across this thread today on the MariaDB discuss list about the poor stewardship of Oracle with respect to MySQL (and it references Oracle's track record of poor handling of the FLOSS projects it inherited when it bought Sun):

> https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-discuss/msg00514.html

> In it is discussed - among many other things including lots of good reason *why* - the possibility of replacing MySQL with MariaDB in anticipation of Oracle's current poor stewardship of MySQL...

> My question is - shouldn't gentoo be considering this move as well?

> I've been seriously considering this for my own servers for some time, and after reading this, I think it is time to stop thinking about it and just do it, but I'm a bit nervous - ianap, and don't want to shoot myself in the foot in the process.

> Anyone here ever done the switch want to share their experience?

Back in the ubuntu-server mailing list, this has been the topic of a lively discussion last week.

The consensus seemed to be that MariaDB and Percona would be drop-in replacements for MySQL.

Myself, I'm a PostgreSQL guy so I have no opinion ;-)

Rgds,

Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Alex Schuster

Tanstaafl writes:

> Anyone here ever done the switch want to share their experience?

I use MySQL for an oooold phpBB board and for Amarok, and do not now much
about it. I never explicitely installed MySQL, I only have the mysql USE
flag set for things like python or PHP. Somehow, dev-db/mysql was never
installed, but I have dev-db/mariadb installed instead. Seems I already
made the switch, without knowing about it.

Wonko

Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Jorge Martínez López

2012/3/2 Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@gmail.com>:

> It's definitely an interesting dilemma, but one that was expected to happen
> eventually. Lucky Gentoo doesn't have to worry about release cycles. MariaDB
> is in portage so, in theory, it shouldn't be too difficult for any of us to
> make the switch.

Seeing how successful is Oracle managing a free software community
(OpenSolaris, OpenOffice.org, Harmony) I made the switch yesterday
with zero issues:

keyworded <=dev-db/mariadb-5.2 (make sure you install the same minor
version as you have with MySQL).
emerge -aC mysql
emerge mariabd

And that's it.