FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default old cyrus-imapd from overlay

Greets,

does anyone have experience with cyrus-imapd on gentoo?

I have to migrate an ancient suse-10.1-server, it runs:

# rpm -qa | grep cyrus
cyrus-sasl-2.1.21-3
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.21-3
cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-13

portage gives me cyrus-imapd-2.4.12 which is fine but I don't know if
upgrading this far is possible without problems.

I found the OSSDL-overlay, but cyrus-imapd-2.2.13 fails to build ...

* does anyone have experience with upgrading cyrus-imapd?

* does anyone have a running older release/ebuild where the migration
should be safe?

pls no advice to use dovecot etc, the job here is to possibly move over
/var/spool/imap and "press play" (simplified, you get the picture).

A change of software might be considered later, right now I have to
maintain a running server while moving to newer hardware and OS.

Thanks, Stefan
 
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 AM
"J. Roeleveld"
 
Default old cyrus-imapd from overlay

On Tue, February 28, 2012 4:34 pm, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
> Greets,
>
> does anyone have experience with cyrus-imapd on gentoo?
>
> I have to migrate an ancient suse-10.1-server, it runs:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep cyrus
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.21-3
> cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.21-3
> cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-13
>
> portage gives me cyrus-imapd-2.4.12 which is fine but I don't know if
> upgrading this far is possible without problems.
>
> I found the OSSDL-overlay, but cyrus-imapd-2.2.13 fails to build ...
>
> * does anyone have experience with upgrading cyrus-imapd?
>
> * does anyone have a running older release/ebuild where the migration
> should be safe?
>
> pls no advice to use dovecot etc, the job here is to possibly move over
> /var/spool/imap and "press play" (simplified, you get the picture).
>
> A change of software might be considered later, right now I have to
> maintain a running server while moving to newer hardware and OS.
>
> Thanks, Stefan

Stefan,

I haven't had problems with upgrading, but I didn't "wait" this long.
Eg. I didn't migrate from 2.1 to 2.4 directly.

I would suggest you check on the cyrus-imap mailing list (see bottom of
email) for tips. Installing it is simple, but there are a few changes with
some of the files.

A safer method would be running the 2 versions in parallel and using
imapsync or something similar to copy the email over to the new version.

--
Joost

cyrus-imap list info:

List-Id: Discussion group for Cyrus email system
<info-cyrus.lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/mailman/listinfo/info-cyrus>,
<mailto:info-cyrus-request@lists.andrew.cmu.edu?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus>
List-Post: <mailto:info-cyrus@lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
List-Help: <mailto:info-cyrus-request@lists.andrew.cmu.edu?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/mailman/listinfo/info-cyrus>,
<mailto:info-cyrus-request@lists.andrew.cmu.edu?subject=subscribe>
 
Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"
 
Default old cyrus-imapd from overlay

Am 2012-02-29 08:23, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> Stefan,
>
> I haven't had problems with upgrading, but I didn't "wait" this long.
> Eg. I didn't migrate from 2.1 to 2.4 directly.

*SIGH* ;-)

> I would suggest you check on the cyrus-imap mailing list (see bottom of
> email) for tips. Installing it is simple, but there are a few changes with
> some of the files.
>
> A safer method would be running the 2 versions in parallel and using
> imapsync or something similar to copy the email over to the new version.

Sure, yes. I have to research how to do that for hundreds of mailboxes
in one command ...

I have 2.4.12 on the newer box already, will look that up asap.

Thanks, Stefan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org