Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM
trevor donahue

Default Freeing up disk space problem!!

Hi everyone,I'm experiencing a major problem right now. I've been using gentoo for several months now and I simply lllooove it!So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more then 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and this left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).
So the questions are ... in cases like this, what should be done? what is storing this much space? logs?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:37:44 +0000
trevor donahue <donahue.trevor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm experiencing a major problem right now. I've been using gentoo for
> several months now and I simply lllooove it!
> So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
> updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I
> am left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
> /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
> revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more
> then 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
> So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/
> and this left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).
>
> So the questions are ... in cases like this, what should be done?
> what is storing this much space? logs?

The thing that is taking up your space is whatever is making big files
or lots of files.

Now that could be anything, you will have to look on your machine
yourself and tell us what it is.

Start here:

du -sh /*

Start with the biggest directory and recursively go deeper down into
the structure till you find the major space hogs.

Logs is one option, and a likely one. But by no means the only
possibility. So just run du and find what it is on *your* box.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 28 Feb 2012 11:37:44 trevor donahue wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm experiencing a major problem right now. I've been using gentoo for
> several months now and I simply lllooove it!
> So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
> updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am
> left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
> /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
> revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more then
> 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
> So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and this
> left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).
>
> So the questions are ... in cases like this, what should be done? what is
> storing this much space? logs?

Gentoo takes up more space than a conventional binary distro because of
portage and source files in /usr/portage/distfiles.

Look at eclean to help you remove old package files no longer installed.

Also look at logrotate to help you automatically rotate, compress and delete
old(er) log files.

As a matter of good practice I always fit /var/ on a different partition to
guard against logs going overboard and running out of space.
Mick

Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I'm experiencing a major problem right now. I've been using gentoo for
several months now and I simply lllooove it!
So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am
left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
/var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more
then 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and
this left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).

So the questions are ... in cases like this, what should be done? what
is storing this much space? logs?

Install sys-fs/ncdu and run it as root with "ncdu -x /". It's gonna
take a bit to scan everything, but after that you should be able to tell
what's taking up all the space.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
YoYo Siska

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:37:44AM +0000, trevor donahue wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm experiencing a major problem right now. I've been using gentoo for
> several months now and I simply lllooove it!
> So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
> updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am
> left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
> /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
> revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more then
> 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
> So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and this
> left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).

My usual suspect for disk space in /usr/share/doc is kdelibs, with the
doc use flag turned on it installs the whole kde api documentation,
which takes a lot of space ... so I either set -doc for
kde-base/kdelibs, or just set -doc globally and just enable it for
things i now I might need... (note that that won't remove all of the
/usr/share/doc dirs / files, but removes most of the large ones...)

yoyo