Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Florian Philipp

Default string1!string2!string3 notation

Am 27.02.2012 15:04, schrieb Claudio Roberto França Pereira:
> I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
> the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
> contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
> microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
> old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
> curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
>
> --
> Claudio Roberto França Pereira

That's a bang path from UUCP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uucp

Regards,
Florian Philipp

Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
James Broadhead

On 27 February 2012 14:27, Florian Philipp <lists@binarywings.net> wrote:
> Am 27.02.2012 15:04, schrieb Claudio Roberto França Pereira:
>> I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
>> the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
>> contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
>> microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
>> old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
>> curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
>>
>> --
>> Claudio Roberto França Pereira
>>

> That's a bang path from UUCP.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uucp

"Bang paths of eight to ten machines (or hops) were not uncommon in
1981, and late-night dial-up UUCP links would cause week-long
transmission times. "
<shudder>

Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Todd Goodman

* Claudio Roberto Fran?a Pereira <spideybr@gmail.com> [120227 08:35]:
> I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
> the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
> contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
> microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
> old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
> curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
>
> --
> Claudio Roberto França Pereira

As others have said it's a "bang path" for UUCP routing.

It was used for mail routing even when not strictly using UUCP as well.

This was before such thing as DNS and you got to pass around host tables
(/etc/hosts) which contained all known hosts and their IP addresses.

Todd

Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Todd Goodman

* Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> [120227 11:49]:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> > * Claudio Roberto Fran?a Pereira <spideybr@gmail.com> [120227 08:35]:
> >> I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
> >> the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
> >> contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
> >> microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
> >> old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
> >> curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Claudio Roberto França Pereira
> >>

> > As others have said it's a "bang path" for UUCP routing.
> >
> > It was used for mail routing even when not strictly using UUCP as well.
> >
> > This was before such thing as DNS and you got to pass around host tables
> > (/etc/hosts) which contained all known hosts and their IP addresses.
>
> Predates me somewhat, but I believe UUCP operated over DUN/direct
> serial without the IP layer, as well.

Yep.

Todd

Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Michael Mol

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@bonedaddy.net> wrote:
> * Claudio Roberto Fran?a Pereira <spideybr@gmail.com> [120227 08:35]:
>> I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
>> the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
>> contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
>> microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
>> old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
>> curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
>>
>> --
>> Claudio Roberto França Pereira
>>

> As others have said it's a "bang path" for UUCP routing.
>
> It was used for mail routing even when not strictly using UUCP as well.
>
> This was before such thing as DNS and you got to pass around host tables
> (/etc/hosts) which contained all known hosts and their IP addresses.

Predates me somewhat, but I believe UUCP operated over DUN/direct
serial without the IP layer, as well.

--
:wq

Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-02-27, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>> As others have said it's a "bang path" for UUCP routing.
>>
>> It was used for mail routing even when not strictly using UUCP as
>> well.

Interesting. That's something I wasn't aware of.

>> This was before such thing as DNS and you got to pass around host tables
>> (/etc/hosts) which contained all known hosts and their IP addresses.
>
> Predates me somewhat, but I believe UUCP operated over DUN/direct
> serial without the IP layer, as well.

Yes, UUCP worked over both TCP and dial-up.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! An air of FRENCH FRIES
at permeates my nostrils!!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Claudio Roberto França Pereira

Wow. Thanks for all this knowledge.