Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Pandu Poluan

Default On login, hostname ends with ".O" instead of my domain

I knew I've read about this somewhere, but I couldn't find it again...

I'm installing a new Gentoo box, and it boots successfully... but the
login screen indicates the machine's name as "NAME.O"

Where does the ".O" part comes from? How to replace that with my actual domain?

TIA

Rgds,
--
FdS Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

*• LOPSA Member #15248
*• Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
*• Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:58:48 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> I knew I've read about this somewhere, but I couldn't find it again...
>
> I'm installing a new Gentoo box, and it boots successfully... but the
> login screen indicates the machine's name as "NAME.O"
>
> Where does the ".O" part comes from? How to replace that with my
> actual domain?

What do you have in et/c/conf.d/hostname and /etc/hosts?

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 27, 2012 9:15 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:58:48 +0700

> Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> > I knew I've read about this somewhere, but I couldn't find it again...

> > I'm installing a new Gentoo box, and it boots successfully... but the

> > login screen indicates the machine's name as "NAME.O"

> > Where does the ".O" part comes from? How to replace that with my

> > actual domain?

> What do you have in et/c/conf.d/hostname and /etc/hosts?

IIRC, both have been set properly, but I might made a mistake. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Internet at my home is very splotchy tonight.

Rgds,

Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Daniel Troeder

On 27.02.2012 16:16, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2012 9:15 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
> <mailto:alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:58:48 +0700
>> Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info <mailtoandu@poluan.info>> wrote:
>>
>> > I knew I've read about this somewhere, but I couldn't find it again...
>> >
>> > I'm installing a new Gentoo box, and it boots successfully... but the
>> > login screen indicates the machine's name as "NAME.O"
>> >
>> > Where does the ".O" part comes from? How to replace that with my
>> > actual domain?
>>

>> What do you have in et/c/conf.d/hostname and /etc/hosts?
>>

> IIRC, both have been set properly, but I might made a mistake. I'll get
> back to you tomorrow. Internet at my home is very splotchy tonight.
>
> Rgds,

Just guessing: do you use the NetworkManager? It sets the domain name
from DHCP by default. I had X-issues because of that
If it is that you can edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf :
[main]
plugins=keyfile

[keyfile]
hostname=moja.local

(In my nm-system-settings.conf there is also a "ifnet" section, so the
"plugins" directive is actually "plugins=ifnet,keyfile".)

By,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887

Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 28, 2012 1:07 AM, "Daniel Troeder" <daniel@admin-box.com> wrote:

> On 27.02.2012 16:16, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > On Feb 27, 2012 9:15 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

> > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>> wrote:

> >> What do you have in et/c/conf.d/hostname and /etc/hosts?

> > IIRC, both have been set properly, but I might made a mistake. I'll get

> > back to you tomorrow. Internet at my home is very splotchy tonight.

> > Rgds,

> Just guessing: do you use the NetworkManager? It sets the domain name

> from DHCP by default. I had X-issues because of that

> If it is that you can edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf :

> [main]

> plugins=keyfile

> [keyfile]

> hostname=moja.local

> (In my nm-system-settings.conf there is also a "ifnet" section, so the

> "plugins" directive is actually "plugins=ifnet,keyfile".)

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, this box is statically addressed. I don't use dhcpd nor NetworkManager.

Besides, it's a headless server.

Rgds,

Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Peter Ruskin

On Monday 27 February 2012 18:37:05 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> [...]

You can edit /etc/issue to read:

This is <host>.<domain> (
) l

Replace <host>.<domain> with real values

Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 28, 2012 4:11 AM, "Peter Ruskin" <peter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> You can edit /etc/issue to read:

> This is <host>.<domain> (
) l

> Replace <host>.<domain> with real values

It's that line declaring the OS version, architecture, and whathaveyous above the "login:" prompt.

Rgds,

Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:36:34 +0700
Pandu Poluan <pandu@poluan.info> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2012 4:11 AM, "Peter Ruskin" <peter.ruskin@dsl.pipex.com>
> wrote:

> > You can edit /etc/issue to read:
> >
> > This is <host>.<domain> (
) l

> > Replace <host>.<domain> with real values
> >

> It's that line declaring the OS version, architecture, and
> whathaveyous above the "login:" prompt.
>
> Rgds,

You probably have a typo in /etc/issue (a missing backslash). Default
looks like so:

$ cat /etc/issue

This is
.O (s m
)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Pandu Poluan

---- >8 snip

> You probably have a typo in /etc/issue (a missing backslash). Default
> looks like so:
>
> *$ cat /etc/issue
>
> This is
.O (s m
)

==========

# cat /etc/hosts | egrep -v "^#"

127.0.0.1 SHEPARD.biznet.pans SHEPARD localhost
::1 SHEPARD.biznet.pans SHEPARD localhost

# cat /etc/conf.d/hostname
# Set to the hostname of this machine
hostname="SHEPARD"

# cat /etc/issue