Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Philip Webb

Default accented characters in KDE apps

In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie .

Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.

KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM & Fixed(Misc).
I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many apps
& it shouldn't make a difference.

Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012, 03:32:58 schrieb Philip Webb:
> In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie ë .
>
> Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
> but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.
>
> KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
> but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
> I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM &
> Fixed(Misc). I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many apps
> & it shouldn't make a difference.
>
> Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?

http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/ComposeKey

Typing Macrons, Umlauts, Accents, ...
The compose key will be now whatever you have configured it to be, e. g. right
logo.
Macrons
compose + shift + hyphen then <vowel >
or
compose + underscore then <vowel >
-->
āēīōū ĀĒĪŌŪ

Umlauts
compose + shift + <single quote> then <vowel >
or
compose + <double quotes> then <vowel >
-->
äëïöü ÄËÏÖÜ

google is your friend.

--
#163933

Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Philip Webb

120226 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012, 03:32:58 schrieb Philip Webb:
>> In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie .
>> Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
>> but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.
>> KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
>> but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
>> I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM &
>> Fixed(Misc). I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many apps
>> & it shouldn't make a difference.
>> Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?
> google is your friend.
> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/ComposeKey

Yes, I saw that, but ...

> Typing Macrons, Umlauts, Accents, ...
> The compose key will be now whatever you have configured it to be,
> e. g. right logo.

... as I said above, it doesn't work.

Thanks for trying, but please read the full msg before doing so (smile).

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012, 07:44:37 schrieb Philip Webb:
> 120226 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012, 03:32:58 schrieb Philip Webb:
> >> In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie
> >> .
> >> Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
> >> but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.
> >> KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
> >> but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
> >> I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM &
> >> Fixed(Misc). I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many
> >> apps
> >> & it shouldn't make a difference.
> >> Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?
> >
> > google is your friend.
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/ComposeKey
>
> Yes, I saw that, but ...
>
> > Typing Macrons, Umlauts, Accents, ...
> > The compose key will be now whatever you have configured it to be,
> > e. g. right logo.
>
> ... as I said above, it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks for trying, but please read the full msg before doing so (smile).

well, worked here.. do you have a unicode enabled system? fonts?
--
#163933

Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Jrg Schaible

Philip Webb wrote:

> 120226 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012, 03:32:58 schrieb Philip Webb:
>>> In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie
>>> . Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
>>> but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.
>>> KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
>>> but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
>>> I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM &
>>> Fixed(Misc). I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many
>>> apps & it shouldn't make a difference.
>>> Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?
>> google is your friend.
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/ComposeKey
>
> Yes, I saw that, but ...
>
>> Typing Macrons, Umlauts, Accents, ...
>> The compose key will be now whatever you have configured it to be,
>> e. g. right logo.
>
> ... as I said above, it doesn't work.
>
> Thanks for trying, but please read the full msg before doing so (smile).

On a German keyboard layout I type AltGr+ and then the letter:

Cheers,
Jrg

Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Philip Webb

120226 Jrg Schaible wrote:
> Philip Webb wrote:
>> In Gvim I can enter 'e-umlaut' via the keystrokes 'control-k e : ', ie .
>> Kate has a Vi mode, which seems to reproduce Vim fairly well,
>> but there's no sign of 'control-k' or any substitute.
>> KDE System Settings has a menu for setting a compose key,
>> but tests with 'left-control' & 'pause' in Konsole & Kate did nothing.
>> I tried in Kate with Luxi Mono & Courier(IBM), Konsole with LM &
>> Fixed(Misc). I don't have the KDE desktop pkgs installed, but use many
>> apps & it shouldn't make a difference.
>> Does anyone know if & how accented characters cb entered in KDE apps ?
> On a German keyboard layout I type AltGr+ and then the letter:

I don't want to change keyboard layouts, which isn't needed with Gvim.

I booted into Mandriva 10 Spring, which I have on another partition
but don't use except for testing stuff occasionally, & got it to work there :
SystemSettings -> C/R + Language -> KeyboardLayout -> Advanced
-> Compose key position -> Left Ctl ; Kwrite complies : 'Ctl c ,' -> '' .

KDE System Settings in my usual Gentoo system doesn't show C/R+Language,
but offers the Compose-key options under Hardware -> Keyboard -> Advanced.

I don't have the whole of KDE installed, only what I need
to support the apps I use, so perhaps there's a pkg I need to add.

Does anyone have further suggestions ?

Thanks for those offered so far.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Philip Webb

Further investigation shows that both in Mandriva & in Gentoo
the file ~/.kde4/share/config/kxkbrc has a line 'Options=compose:lctrl',
so for some reason Kwrite & Kate are not recognising that setting.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Philip Webb

I have submitted Gentoo bug 406047 .