Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 AM

Default How to read fan speed of my graphics card?

Hi,

to supervise the speed of the two fans of my Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (made
by MSI) graphics card I need a way to read it in userland.

I tried lm_sensors for this but without any success -- but I have to
admit of not haveing much knowledge about these things, though. That
is the reason for asking for help here.

How can I accomplish this? With what I can experiment for this
purpose?

Thank you very much in advance for any help or hint!
Have a nice weekend!
Best regards,
mcc

Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Yohan Pereira

On Saturday 25 Feb 2012 07:27:35 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,

> to supervise the speed of the two fans of my Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (made

> by MSI) graphics card I need a way to read it in userland.

> I tried lm_sensors for this but without any success -- but I have to

> admit of not haveing much knowledge about these things, though. That

> is the reason for asking for help here.

> How can I accomplish this? With what I can experiment for this

> purpose?

*

the nvidia configuration utility (nvidia-settings) displays this info under the Thermal Settings tab. AFAIK is also a way to get it to print the info to STDOUT .. just mess arround with the cmd line arguments to nvidia-settings.

*

--

*

- Yohan Pereira

*

The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference

between a mermaid and a seal.

-- Mark Twain

Old 02-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@gmail.com> [12-02-25 08:48]:
> On Saturday 25 Feb 2012 07:27:35 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > to supervise the speed of the two fans of my Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (made
> > by MSI) graphics card I need a way to read it in userland.
> >
> > I tried lm_sensors for this but without any success -- but I have to
> > admit of not haveing much knowledge about these things, though. That
> > is the reason for asking for help here.
> >
> > How can I accomplish this? With what I can experiment for this
> > purpose?
>
> the nvidia configuration utility (nvidia-settings) displays this info under
> the Thermal Settings tab. AFAIK is also a way to get it to print the info to
> STDOUT .. just mess arround with the cmd line arguments to nvidia-settings.
>
> --
>
> - Yohan Pereira
>
> The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
> between a mermaid and a seal.
> -- Mark Twain

Hi Yohan,

Thank you very much for that hint...I had never thought of that
possibility as I recognized nvidia-settings as a gui application
only...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 02-25-2012, 04:53 PM

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:05:30 +0100
meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@gmail.com> [12-02-25 08:48]:
> > On Saturday 25 Feb 2012 07:27:35 meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > to supervise the speed of the two fans of my Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
> > > (made by MSI) graphics card I need a way to read it in userland.
> > >
> > > I tried lm_sensors for this but without any success -- but I have
> > > to admit of not haveing much knowledge about these things,
> > > though. That is the reason for asking for help here.
> > >
> > > How can I accomplish this? With what I can experiment for this
> > > purpose?
> >
> > the nvidia configuration utility (nvidia-settings) displays this
> > info under the Thermal Settings tab. AFAIK is also a way to get it
> > to print the info to STDOUT .. just mess arround with the cmd line
> > arguments to nvidia-settings.

> Thank you very much for that hint...I had never thought of that
> possibility as I recognized nvidia-settings as a gui application
> only...

If you're using app-admin/conky you can get a nice display of a several
nVidia card status numbers. The man page has the nVidia options. That
may not fit what you wanted, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to toss it
into the thread.