Old 02-25-2012, 03:04 AM
John

Default Is Gentoo for me?

On Friday, February 24, 2012 21:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgunii@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary
> repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).
>
> It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3. Others are
> available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).
>
> Rgds,

Will do. Thank you!

--
There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who
is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. -Theodore Roosevelt,

Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 AM
Carlos Sura

On 24 February 2012 22:04, John <irgunii@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, February 24, 2012 21:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgunii@gmail.com> wrote:

*<snip>

> Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary

> repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).

> It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3. Others are

> available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).

> Rgds,

*Will do. Thank you!

--

There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who

is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else. *-Theodore Roosevelt,

1915

Gentoo is for everyone. And I love it!
--
Carlos Sura.-www.carlossura.com

Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Dale

Carlos Sura wrote:

> On 24 February 2012 22:04, John <irgunii@gmail.com
> <mailto:irgunii@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Friday, February 24, 2012 21:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgunii@gmail.com
> <mailto:irgunii@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary
> > repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).
> >
> > It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3.
> Others are
> > available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).
> >
> > Rgds,
>
> Will do. Thank you!
>

> --
> There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good
> American. The only man who
> is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
> -Theodore Roosevelt,
> 1915
>

> Gentoo is for everyone. And I love it!
>
> --
> Carlos Sura.-
> www.carlossura.com <http://www.carlossura.com/>

I used to be on dial-up as most old timers here may recall. Here are
the bad things: Libreoffice and a full KDE upgrade. It would take me
DAYS to download everything. Heck, it takes me a while and I have DSL
now. Just be prepared.

I don't know about your area but here, DSL was cheaper than dial-up when
I first got it. Right now, they are the same price, last I checked on
the dial-up prices anyway. You may want to check those prices IF you
can get DSL.

Is Gentoo doable, yea. Does it take patience, yep it does. Dial-up is
slow.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 05:34 -0600, Dale wrote:
> Carlos Sura wrote:
> >

> > On 24 February 2012 22:04, John <irgunii@gmail.com
> > <mailto:irgunii@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, February 24, 2012 21:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > > On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgunii@gmail.com
> > <mailto:irgunii@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >

> > > Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary
> > > repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).
> > >
> > > It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3.
> > Others are
> > > available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).
> > >
> > > Rgds,
> >
> > Will do. Thank you!
> >

> > --
> > There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good
> > American. The only man who
> > is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
> > -Theodore Roosevelt,
> > 1915
> >

> > Gentoo is for everyone. And I love it!
> >
> > --
> > Carlos Sura.-
> > www.carlossura.com <http://www.carlossura.com/>
> >

> I used to be on dial-up as most old timers here may recall. Here are
> the bad things: Libreoffice and a full KDE upgrade. It would take me
> DAYS to download everything. Heck, it takes me a while and I have DSL
> now. Just be prepared.
>
> I don't know about your area but here, DSL was cheaper than dial-up when
> I first got it. Right now, they are the same price, last I checked on
> the dial-up prices anyway. You may want to check those prices IF you
> can get DSL.
>
> Is Gentoo doable, yea. Does it take patience, yep it does. Dial-up is
> slow.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

gentoo over dialup is do-able - but be smart about it. If you have
access to a fast link, build a list of packages and download, burn to
CD/usb key and take them back home.

You only need to download a package once ... don't delete anything
in /usr/portage/distfiles as over time you might want to make changes,
or a library change creeps in so you will occasionally need to recompile
a package.

If you have more than one system, look into http-replicator or share
over nfs

Use "emerge -f package_list" to download into the distfiles directory
files well ahead of when the "emerge package_list" will need them ...
there is no need to waste time waiting for compilation to finish and
letting the bandwidth go to waste.

Other users on the link complainiung about the bandwidth your using? -
look into bandwidth limiting arguments for whatever fetch process you
are using.

I am sure there are others Ive missed

BillK

Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 19:56:27 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:

> Use "emerge -f package_list" to download into the distfiles directory
> files well ahead of when the "emerge package_list" will need them ...
> there is no need to waste time waiting for compilation to finish and
> letting the bandwidth go to waste.

Portage has done parallel downloads for years, it no longer waits for one
package to finish installing before starting to download the next. It's
controlled by FEATURES="parallel-fetch".

--
Neil Bothwick

Velilind's Laws of Experimentation:
1. If reproducibility may be a problem, conduct the test only once.
2. If a straight line fit is required, obtain only two data points.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
William Kenworthy

On Sat, 2012-02-25 at 12:16 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 19:56:27 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>
> > Use "emerge -f package_list" to download into the distfiles directory
> > files well ahead of when the "emerge package_list" will need them ...
> > there is no need to waste time waiting for compilation to finish and
> > letting the bandwidth go to waste.
>
> Portage has done parallel downloads for years, it no longer waits for one
> package to finish installing before starting to download the next. It's
> controlled by FEATURES="parallel-fetch".

A new one on me ... tkx, added it to my FEATURES!

BillK

Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 05:34:25AM -0600, Dale wrote:

> > There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good
> > American. The only man who
> > is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.
> > -Theodore Roosevelt,
> > 1915

Reminds me of the new P.C. term for a blonde -- a breasted American. ;-)

> > Gentoo is for everyone. And I love it!

> I used to be on dial-up as most old timers here may recall. Here are
> the bad things: Libreoffice and a full KDE upgrade. It would take me
> DAYS to download everything. Heck, it takes me a while and I have DSL
> now. Just be prepared.
>
> I don't know about your area but here, DSL was cheaper than dial-up when
> I first got it. Right now, they are the same price, last I checked on
> the dial-up prices anyway. You may want to check those prices IF you
> can get DSL.
>
> Is Gentoo doable, yea. Does it take patience, yep it does. Dial-up is
> slow.

It's just as slow for binary people. And if you're not using something very
static, you have just as much download volume I reckon. I have Debian testing
on my old laptop and when I update it just after a few weeks on absence,
there's always a new patch release of KDE, libreoffice and the kernel. All in
all there's always more than 500 megs of DL.
The only difference for us Gentooans is that we always have the development
files included which create some overhead. OTOH, for new kernel version we even
have the advantage -- on binary distros, each patch release means to download
35-40 megs of precompiled modules, whereas we only download the 80 MB sources
once for a subrelease, and for each subsequent patch only need a few
additional kB.

I second the suggestion that, if you decide to stay with Gentoo, you just need
to keep the sources of all installed packages. I used to have an unstable VPN
connection which counted my traffic, so I kept all installed distfiles in case
I needed to rebuild someting (changed useflags, revdep-rebuild, etc).
eclean-dist is a good helper here, which will delete only those files whose
packages aren't installed (any more).
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

The perfect diet: no breakfast in the morning,
in return forego pudding at lunch and then go to bed without dinner.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 24. Februar 2012, 21:03:47 schrieb John:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been using linux for about 12 years now, but only used DE's.

no problem.

> I've got
> ADD in the extreme and have poor memory retention so trying to learn things
> 'UNIX' (command line and such) is just too difficult for me. I can do some
> command line stuff but nothing more than getting time from someplace to
> make my clock be correct, heh.

then gentoo and its derivates are not for you. The first time you need to think
about a problem (like compilation fails because some symbol in some lib is
pointing to some outdated and not installed other lib) and you will be
frustrated.

> I've been using SuSE/openSUSE now for all those 12 years but I'm becoming
> somewhat disgruntled with the direction I feel it's going (don't ask, it'll
> just get me started rantin' and ravin'). I've looked at Slackware, but the
> package management looks just a little bit more than I can try to handle at
> first without getting frustrated and scrubbing it off my hard drive.

if you want to have something easy that works, opensuse and co do that. Their
'direction' is caused by the fact that they try to be fitting for people like
*you*. Gentoo is for people who either new what they are doing or are able and
willing to learn - and to spend some hours fixing stuff if something goes wrong.

Just mentioning, getting my printer so far that it
a) worked with current cups
and
b) printed nice pictures

took 8h.

Are you willing and able to go through that? Are you able to google for
answers? Are you able and willing to read manuals, howtos and manpages and
adapt to your situation? Are you at least willing to try really hard before
you start asking others to solve your problems for you (ok, this list is full
with people asking questions that could be solved with google, grep and
thinking.. so.. forget this part...)

If you said 'no' to one of the above, gentoo and its derivates are not for
you.

> I've looked at a *LOT* of other distro's and too many use Gnome (I can't
> stand it, that's my opinion so don't try to argue with me to change), some
> are a bit too minimalistic and others too much like openSUSE is now - huge.
>
> I finally came upon Gentoo and for the past few days I've been reading and
> looking at things and so far it seems to be what I'm wanting to switch to,
> but here's my quandary:
>
> I'm dirt-poor and have only a dial-up connection. The Portage package
> management seems extremely nice, but will it be a problem for me to upgrade
> say just one package/app at a time?

no

> Will I be able to find a tarball of an
> app I want to try out and be able to build it like I would with rpmbuild
> (will it be as relatively easy as that)? Is there a 'repository' of apps
> anywhere that I can go to to look and see if the app I normally use for
> something is there?

yes, on your harddisk

> There's probably more questions, but I best keep this short for now, lol.
> Thanks for any replies and help with these things and I hope I made enough
> sense for everyone to understand what I'm trying to get at.

yes, and I am afraid you will be more happy with Suse, Slackware or Mepis.

--
#163933

Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Urs Schutz

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:03:47 -0600
John <irgunii@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,

> that)? Is there a 'repository' of apps anywhere that I
> can go to to look and see if the app I normally use for
> something is there?

http://packages.gentoo.org

Urs

Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 19:56:27 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>
>> Use "emerge -f package_list" to download into the distfiles directory
>> files well ahead of when the "emerge package_list" will need them ...
>> there is no need to waste time waiting for compilation to finish and
>> letting the bandwidth go to waste.
>
> Portage has done parallel downloads for years, it no longer waits for one
> package to finish installing before starting to download the next. It's
> controlled by FEATURES="parallel-fetch".

Yep, I might add, when upgrading KDE, download everything first then
start the emerge. KDE doesn't like mixing versions sometimes. It can
get a bit weird.

Dale

:-) :-)