Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 AM
John

Default Is Gentoo for me?

Hi folks,

I've been using linux for about 12 years now, but only used DE's. I've got ADD in the
extreme and have poor memory retention so trying to learn things 'UNIX' (command line and
such) is just too difficult for me. I can do some command line stuff but nothing more than
getting time from someplace to make my clock be correct, heh.

I've been using SuSE/openSUSE now for all those 12 years but I'm becoming somewhat
disgruntled with the direction I feel it's going (don't ask, it'll just get me started
rantin' and ravin'). I've looked at Slackware, but the package management looks just a
little bit more than I can try to handle at first without getting frustrated and scrubbing
it off my hard drive.

I've looked at a *LOT* of other distro's and too many use Gnome (I can't stand it,
that's my opinion so don't try to argue with me to change), some are a bit too
minimalistic and others too much like openSUSE is now - huge.

I finally came upon Gentoo and for the past few days I've been reading and looking at
things and so far it seems to be what I'm wanting to switch to, but here's my quandary:

I'm dirt-poor and have only a dial-up connection. The Portage package management seems
extremely nice, but will it be a problem for me to upgrade say just one package/app at a
time? Will I be able to find a tarball of an app I want to try out and be able to build it
like I would with rpmbuild (will it be as relatively easy as that)? Is there a
'repository' of apps anywhere that I can go to to look and see if the app I normally use
for something is there?

There's probably more questions, but I best keep this short for now, lol. Thanks for any
replies and help with these things and I hope I made enough sense for everyone to
understand what I'm trying to get at.

JB

--
I mean....if I went 'round sayin' I was an emperor just because some moistened bint lobbed
a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! -Dennis from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 25, 2012 10:06 AM, "John" <irgunii@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,

> *I've been using linux for about 12 years now, but only used DE's. I've got ADD in the

> extreme and have poor memory retention so trying to learn things 'UNIX' (command line and

> such) is just too difficult for me. I can do some command line stuff but nothing more than

> getting time from someplace to make my clock be correct, heh.

> *I've been using SuSE/openSUSE now for all those 12 years but I'm becoming somewhat

> disgruntled with the direction I feel it's going (don't ask, it'll just get me started

> rantin' and ravin'). I've looked at Slackware, but the package management looks just a

> little bit more than I can try to handle at first without getting frustrated and scrubbing

> it off my hard drive.

> *I've looked at a *LOT* of other distro's and too many use Gnome (I can't stand it,

> that's my opinion so don't try to argue with me to change), some are a bit too

> minimalistic and others too much like openSUSE is now - huge.

> *I finally came upon Gentoo and for the past few days I've been reading and looking at

> things and so far it seems to be what I'm wanting to switch to, but here's my quandary:

> *I'm dirt-poor and have only a dial-up connection. The Portage package management seems

> extremely nice, but will it be a problem for me to upgrade say just one package/app at a

> time? Will I be able to find a tarball of an app I want to try out and be able to build it

> like I would with rpmbuild (will it be as relatively easy as that)? Is there a

> 'repository' of apps anywhere that I can go to to look and see if the app I normally use

> for something is there?

> *There's probably more questions, but I best keep this short for now, lol. Thanks for any

> replies and help with these things and I hope I made enough sense for everyone to

> understand what I'm trying to get at.

> *JB

Have a look at Sabayon. It's Gentoo-based, but it comes with binary repository (although you can easily use portage if you want).

It offers 'out of the box' support for KDE4, xfce, or gnome3. Others are available but you have to compile them yourself (via portage).

Rgds,