Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Grant

Default Safe way to test a new kernel?

I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is there a
safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
me. When does that ever work?

- Grant

Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 25/02/12 04:00, Grant wrote:

I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is there a
safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
me. When does that ever work?

You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to text-only
mode. There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it. Press ENTER
when you're finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.

That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one
doesn't work.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Grant

>> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. *Is there a
>> safe way to do this? *The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
>> me. *When does that ever work?
>

> You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to text-only mode.
> *There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it. *Press ENTER when you're
> finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.
>
> That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one doesn't
> work.

I can't do that remotely though. I'm probably asking for something
that doesn't exist.

- Grant

Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Nikos Chantziaras