Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Is my mobo incompatible with Linux?

Hi. I have a Supermicro c7P67-o motherboard and I have another system
using windows with no problems. However, when I am trying to use the
board with gentoo -- various kernels -- including 3.2.6-gentoo -- I am
having lots of problems with USB. The board has two usb3 connectors and
most of the time when I plug a usb3 enclosure into one of those, I get
lots of errors such as
Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: Timeout while waiting
for address device command
Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: usb 3-1: device not accepting address 2,
error -62

Once in a while if I reboot I can get it to work, but usually not. Now
usb2 works for about a day or so and then either slows way down or the
drive is just not seen at all. In those cases there are no log messages
at all to give any hint.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening -- the
Supermicro people have noclue whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 24, 2012 11:37 PM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Hi. *I have a Supermicro c7P67-o motherboard and I have another system

> using windows with no problems. *However, when I am trying to use the

> board with gentoo -- various kernels -- including 3.2.6-gentoo -- I am

> having lots of problems with USB. *The board has two usb3 connectors and

> most of the time when I plug a usb3 enclosure into one of those, I get

> lots of errors such as

> Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: Timeout while waiting

> for address device command

> Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: usb 3-1: device not accepting address 2,

> error -62

> Once in a while if I reboot I can get it to work, but usually not. *Now

> usb2 works for about a day or so and then either slows way down or the

> drive is just not seen at all. *In those cases there are no log messages

> at all to give any hint.

> So, does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening -- the

> Supermicro people have noclue whatsoever.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It's non-reproducible, so I expect a mobo going bad.

Rgds,

Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> Hi. *I have a Supermicro c7P67-o motherboard and I have another system
> using windows with no problems. *However, when I am trying to use the
> board with gentoo -- various kernels -- including 3.2.6-gentoo -- I am
> having lots of problems with USB. *The board has two usb3 connectors and
> most of the time when I plug a usb3 enclosure into one of those, I get
> lots of errors such as
> Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: Timeout while waiting
> for address device command
> Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: usb 3-1: device not accepting address 2,
> error -62
>
> Once in a while if I reboot I can get it to work, but usually not. *Now
> usb2 works for about a day or so and then either slows way down or the
> drive is just not seen at all. *In those cases there are no log messages
> at all to give any hint.
>
> So, does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening -- the
> Supermicro people have noclue whatsoever.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You might try posting to the usb-storage mailing list, people working
on the USB3 drivers are there and might know more about that specific
chipset and what those messages really mean.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 PM

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> > Hi. *I have a Supermicro c7P67-o motherboard and I have another system
> > using windows with no problems. *However, when I am trying to use the
> > board with gentoo -- various kernels -- including 3.2.6-gentoo -- I am
> > having lots of problems with USB. *The board has two usb3 connectors and
> > most of the time when I plug a usb3 enclosure into one of those, I get
> > lots of errors such as
> > Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: Timeout while waiting
> > for address device command
> > Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: usb 3-1: device not accepting address 2,
> > error -62
> >
> > Once in a while if I reboot I can get it to work, but usually not. *Now
> > usb2 works for about a day or so and then either slows way down or the
> > drive is just not seen at all. *In those cases there are no log messages
> > at all to give any hint.
> >
> > So, does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening -- the
> > Supermicro people have noclue whatsoever.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> You might try posting to the usb-storage mailing list, people working
> on the USB3 drivers are there and might know more about that specific
> chipset and what those messages really mean.

That link seems not to work -- I get Unable to locate remote host
lists.one-eyed-alien.net

Thanks.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM
pk

On 2012-02-24 17:34, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Hi. I have a Supermicro c7P67-o motherboard and I have another system
> using windows with no problems. However, when I am trying to use the
> board with gentoo -- various kernels -- including 3.2.6-gentoo -- I am
> having lots of problems with USB. The board has two usb3 connectors and
> most of the time when I plug a usb3 enclosure into one of those, I get
> lots of errors such as
> Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: Timeout while waiting
> for address device command
> Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: usb 3-1: device not accepting address 2,
> error -62

Hm... Just a "hunch" here since I don't know the exact details regarding
your setup but you might experience something similar to what I had for
a while before figuring out how to fix it... On my Asus Sabertooth 990FX
motherboard I had similar problems with USB (don't remember the exact
error messages but yours seems familiar). This was fixed by setting the
IOMMU to OFF in BIOS (UEFI). Perhaps want to give it a try to see if it
works for you? Of course you'll loose any benefit from IOMMU (if you are
running VMs) but...

Best regards

Peter K

Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM, <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:
>> You might try posting to the usb-storage mailing list, people working
>> on the USB3 drivers are there and might know more about that specific
>> chipset and what those messages really mean.

> That link seems not to work -- I get Unable to locate remote host
> lists.one-eyed-alien.net

Oops, sorry, that was an old link. They moved the list to Google groups:

http://groups.google.com/a/lists.one-eyed-alien.net/group/usb-storage/

Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 PM

pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> wrote:

> On 2012-02-24 17:34, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Hi. I have a Supermicro c7P67-o motherboard and I have another system
> > using windows with no problems. However, when I am trying to use the
> > board with gentoo -- various kernels -- including 3.2.6-gentoo -- I am
> > having lots of problems with USB. The board has two usb3 connectors and
> > most of the time when I plug a usb3 enclosure into one of those, I get
> > lots of errors such as
> > Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: Timeout while waiting
> > for address device command
> > Feb 23 10:27:31 ccs kernel: usb 3-1: device not accepting address 2,
> > error -62
>
> Hm... Just a "hunch" here since I don't know the exact details regarding
> your setup but you might experience something similar to what I had for
> a while before figuring out how to fix it... On my Asus Sabertooth 990FX
> motherboard I had similar problems with USB (don't remember the exact
> error messages but yours seems familiar). This was fixed by setting the
> IOMMU to OFF in BIOS (UEFI). Perhaps want to give it a try to see if it
> works for you? Of course you'll loose any benefit from IOMMU (if you are
> running VMs) but...
I don't have a UEFI BIOS -- at least the interface looks the same as a
normal one -- I wonder where would I find such a setting?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com