FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Grant
 
Default do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?

I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
flag to /etc/make.conf. The only difference I've noticed so far is
the lack of color in vim. Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?

- Grant
 
Old 02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?

Grant writes:

> I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
> flag to /etc/make.conf. The only difference I've noticed so far is
> the lack of color in vim. Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
> remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?

I believe that if there were a 'maximal' USE flag, I'd enable it in
make.conf

Wonko
 
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:14:18 -0800
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
> flag to /etc/make.conf. The only difference I've noticed so far is
> the lack of color in vim. Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
> remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?

I leave it off and add it per-package as needed.

I suppose the best approach would be for each individual to look at
their own copy of what this below does and decide for themselves if the
majority is what the need or don;t need (and make a choice):

# euses -sf minimal
minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
fonts, most drivers, non-critical features) app-crypt/ekeyd:minimal -
Only install the ekey-egd-linux service rather than the full ekeyd
package. app-editors/nano:minimal - Disable all fancy features,
including ones that otherwise have a dedicated USE flag (such as
spelling). app-office/scribus:minimal - Don't install headers (only
required for e.g. plug-in developers) app-portage/gentoolkit:minimal -
Install only the gentoolkit core code. app-text/dictd:minimal - Don't
build server but dict client, dictzip and dictfmt only.
dev-db/mariadb:minimal - Install client programs only, no server
dev-db/mysql:minimal - Install client programs only, no server
dev-db/unixODBC:minimal - Disable bundled drivers and extra libraries
(most users don't need these) dev-libs/libcdio:minimal - Only build the
libcdio library and little more, just to be used to link against from
multimedia players. With this USE flag enabled, none of the
command-line utilities are built, nor is the CDDA library.
dev-php/PEAR-HTTP_Download:minimal - Do not include support for
PEAR-MIME_Type dev-php/ZendFramework:minimal - Installs the minimal
version without Dojo toolkit, tests and demos dev-util/dialog:minimal -
Disable library, install command-line program only
dev-util/google-perftools:minimal - Only build the tcmalloc_minimal
library, ignoring the heap checker and the profilers.
mail-client/thunderbird:minimal - Remove the software development kit
and headers media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-f500:minimal - Install the
firmware only, and not the plugin. net-analyzer/munin:minimal -
installs only the munin-node, applicable if the host is not the munin
master installation" net-p2p/eiskaltdcpp:minimal - Don't install
headers net-print/hplip:minimal - Only build internal hpijs/hpcups
driver (not recommended at all, make sure you know what you are doing)
sci-chemistry/oasis:minimal - Restricts functionality on free software
sys-apps/smartmontools:minimal - Do not install the monitoring daemon
and associated scripts. sys-auth/pambase:minimal - Disables the
standard PAM modules that provide extra information to users on login;
this includes pam_tally (and pam_tally2 for Linux PAM 1.1 and later),
pam_lastlog, pam_motd and other similar modules. This might not be a
good idea on a multi-user system but could reduce slightly the overhead
on single-user non-networked systems. sys-boot/lilo:minimal - Do not
install the dolilo helper script sys-kernel/zen-sources:minimal - Clone
git tree with --depth 1 to reduce amount of data to download. Use with
caution www-client/firefox:minimal - Prevent sdk and headers from being
installed x11-apps/xinit:minimal - Control dependencies on legacy apps
(xterm, twm, ...). Safe to enable if you use a modern desktop
environment.


--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Grant
 
Default do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?

>> I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
>> flag to /etc/make.conf. *The only difference I've noticed so far is
>> the lack of color in vim. *Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
>> remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?
>
> I leave it off and add it per-package as needed.
>
> I suppose the best approach would be for each individual to look at
> their own copy of what this below does and decide for themselves if the
> majority is what the need or don;t need (and make a choice):

Thanks, I'm switching back to your method.

- Grant


> # euses -sf minimal
> minimal - Install a very minimal build (disables, for example, plugins,
> fonts, most drivers, non-critical features) app-crypt/ekeyd:minimal -
> Only install the ekey-egd-linux service rather than the full ekeyd
> package. app-editors/nano:minimal - Disable all fancy features,
> including ones that otherwise have a dedicated USE flag (such as
> spelling). app-office/scribus:minimal - Don't install headers (only
> required for e.g. plug-in developers) app-portage/gentoolkit:minimal -
> Install only the gentoolkit core code. app-text/dictd:minimal - Don't
> build server but dict client, dictzip and dictfmt only.
> dev-db/mariadb:minimal - Install client programs only, no server
> dev-db/mysql:minimal - Install client programs only, no server
> dev-db/unixODBC:minimal - Disable bundled drivers and extra libraries
> (most users don't need these) dev-libs/libcdio:minimal - Only build the
> libcdio library and little more, just to be used to link against from
> multimedia players. With this USE flag enabled, none of the
> command-line utilities are built, nor is the CDDA library.
> dev-php/PEAR-HTTP_Download:minimal - Do not include support for
> PEAR-MIME_Type dev-php/ZendFramework:minimal - Installs the minimal
> version without Dojo toolkit, tests and demos dev-util/dialog:minimal -
> Disable library, install command-line program only
> dev-util/google-perftools:minimal - Only build the tcmalloc_minimal
> library, ignoring the heap checker and the profilers.
> mail-client/thunderbird:minimal - Remove the software development kit
> and headers media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-f500:minimal - Install the
> firmware only, and not the plugin. net-analyzer/munin:minimal -
> installs only the munin-node, applicable if the host is not the munin
> master installation" net-p2p/eiskaltdcpp:minimal - Don't install
> headers net-print/hplip:minimal - Only build internal hpijs/hpcups
> driver (not recommended at all, make sure you know what you are doing)
> sci-chemistry/oasis:minimal - Restricts functionality on free software
> sys-apps/smartmontools:minimal - Do not install the monitoring daemon
> and associated scripts. sys-auth/pambase:minimal - Disables the
> standard PAM modules that provide extra information to users on login;
> this includes pam_tally (and pam_tally2 for Linux PAM 1.1 and later),
> pam_lastlog, pam_motd and other similar modules. This might not be a
> good idea on a multi-user system but could reduce slightly the overhead
> on single-user non-networked systems. sys-boot/lilo:minimal - Do not
> install the dolilo helper script sys-kernel/zen-sources:minimal - Clone
> git tree with --depth 1 to reduce amount of data to download. Use with
> caution www-client/firefox:minimal - Prevent sdk and headers from being
> installed x11-apps/xinit:minimal - Control dependencies on legacy apps
> (xterm, twm, ...). Safe to enable if you use a modern desktop
> environment.
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:14:18 -0800, Grant wrote:

> I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
> flag to /etc/make.conf. The only difference I've noticed so far is
> the lack of color in vim. Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
> remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?

I read somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that you should not
enable this flag globally, and I agree. The effect varies from one
package to another, it's not like jpeg, which has predictable and largely
consistent effects on all packages that use it. For example, with
server/client packages, it usually disables building of the server part,
whereas you have already found it does something completely different
with vim.

Check to see what it does on an individual package and then enable it in
package.use.


--
Neil Bothwick

Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I will remember. Involve me, and
I will learn.
 
Old 02-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Grant
 
Default do you USE="minimal" in /etc/make.conf?

>> I try to run a minimal system in general so I added the minimal USE
>> flag to /etc/make.conf. *The only difference I've noticed so far is
>> the lack of color in vim. *Do you add minimal to /etc/make.conf and
>> remove it as necessary in package.use or the other way around?
>
> I read somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that you should not
> enable this flag globally, and I agree. The effect varies from one
> package to another, it's not like jpeg, which has predictable and largely
> consistent effects on all packages that use it. For example, with
> server/client packages, it usually disables building of the server part,
> whereas you have already found it does something completely different
> with vim.
>
> Check to see what it does on an individual package and then enable it in
> package.use.

I've found the same thing. It does something different to just about
every package.

- Grant
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org