Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Grant

Default favorite smartctl test?

I'm trying to figure out how far gone an old Maxtor HD of mine is. It
does have S.M.A.R.T. support. Is there a favorite smartctl command
for making this determination? 'smartctl -a /dev/sda' says:

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

and:

ATA Error Count: 116

Is a self-test in order?

- Grant

Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Mick

On Friday 24 Feb 2012 02:44:00 Grant wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how far gone an old Maxtor HD of mine is. It
> does have S.M.A.R.T. support. Is there a favorite smartctl command
> for making this determination? 'smartctl -a /dev/sda' says:
>
> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>
> and:
>
> ATA Error Count: 116
>
> Is a self-test in order?
>
> - Grant

Run smartctl --capabilities /dev/hda to find out what tests the drive can do.

If goes without saying that if you suspect the drive use ddrescue to make a
back up before you start running any tests, just in case there is a problem
that a new cable/ribbon won't fix.

Mick

Old 02-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Grant

>> I'm trying to figure out how far gone an old Maxtor HD of mine is. *It
>> does have S.M.A.R.T. support. *Is there a favorite smartctl command
>> for making this determination? *'smartctl -a /dev/sda' says:
>>
>> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
>>
>> and:
>>
>> ATA Error Count: 116
>>
>> Is a self-test in order?
>>
>> - Grant
>
> Run smartctl --capabilities /dev/hda to find out what tests the drive can do.

I ran 'smartctl -t long /dev/sda' and I get:

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining
LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 16787 -

So I guess it could be worse. The system isn't crucial and it looks
like running it for a while longer is worth a try.

> If goes without saying that if you suspect the drive use ddrescue to make a
> back up before you start running any tests, just in case there is a problem
> that a new cable/ribbon won't fix.

Any way to narrow down the problem to a bad ribbon or it's best to
just replace it and see?

ATA Error Count: 116

- Grant