Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Harry Putnam

Default A few suggestions for emerge world via cron

First my setup:

Fairly basic (newish) install (noX) in a Virtual Box vm on windows7 host

I'd like to hear some of the ways you all keep up with syncing and
update world.

Of course the basic call with cron is clear enough:

eix-sync
emerge -vuD world

But what I mean is how you handle things script wise, so that when
something doesn't compile or something else untoward happens during
`emerge -vuD world' things don't just get jacked up.

That may not be a very common occurrence, especially since my install
is quite basic, but I am running with `~x86' so it might be a bit more
likely to come up.

Also, what have users found to be good guess at how often to update
world? (given my console mode setup, and the fact that it is not a
server of any kind, more just a way to keep my hand in things gentoo)

Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> First my setup:
>
> Fairly basic (newish) install (noX) in a Virtual Box vm on windows7 host
>
> I'd like to hear some of the ways you all keep up with syncing and
> update world.

I personally run it all manually and never schedule it to run unattended.

> Of course the basic call with cron is clear enough:
>
> *eix-sync
> *emerge -vuD world
>
> But what I mean is how you handle things script wise, so that when
> something doesn't compile or something else untoward happens during
> `emerge -vuD world' things don't just get jacked up.

emerge --keep-going which will abort the bad package and any packages
depending on it, but will continue emerging everything else possible.

> Also, what have users found to be good guess at how often to update
> world? (given my console mode setup, and the fact that it is not a
> server of any kind, more just a way to keep my hand in things gentoo)

I usually update every day. I have a headless mail and web server
running ~amd64 and even that sometimes goes a few days with nothing to
update. I find no harm in checking.

In the Windows world, once a month updates are the norm... with Gentoo
I really think updating as often as you're comfortable with is best,
because if you let a huge amount of updates happen all at once it can
get complicated to sort through them if they aren't straightforward
emerge-and-do-nothing updates. (see any of the "I'm updating a gentoo
system for the first time in a year" threads posted to this list)

On the other hand, updating too frequently can cause you to re-emerge
the same package over and over if someone is tweaking an ebuild
(especially on ~x86) and a less frequent update schedule will cause
you to miss some of the intermediate versions of the ebuild.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 24, 2012 7:18 AM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> First my setup:

> Fairly basic (newish) install (noX) in a Virtual Box vm on windows7 host

> I'd like to hear some of the ways you all keep up with syncing and

> update world.

> Of course the basic call with cron is clear enough:

> *eix-sync

> *emerge -vuD world

> But what I mean is how you handle things script wise, so that when

> something doesn't compile or something else untoward happens during

> `emerge -vuD world' things don't just get jacked up.

The only automation in my case is eix-sync followed by emerge -uND --fetchonly @system @world

Then, on Friday I manually start the update process on half of my servers, the other half the next Friday.

> That may not be a very common occurrence, especially since my install

> is quite basic, but I am running with `~x86' so it might be a bit more

> likely to come up.

> Also, what have users found to be good guess at how often to update

> world? (given my console mode setup, and the fact that it is not a

> server of any kind, more just a way to keep my hand in things gentoo)

In my case, once every other week is enough, unless there's a serious security issue that needs immediate update.

Rgds,

Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:34:46 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> The only automation in my case is eix-sync followed by emerge -uND
> --fetchonly @system @world

It would be worth adding glsa-check to that list. Run it every day from
cron to get mailed about any security risks.

--
Neil Bothwick

Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Only one - who gives it to six Californians, thereby reducing the
problem to an earlier joke.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 24, 2012 4:13 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:34:46 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > The only automation in my case is eix-sync followed by emerge -uND

> > --fetchonly @system @world

> It would be worth adding glsa-check to that list. Run it every day from

> cron to get mailed about any security risks.

I'm a bit scared running glsa-check automatically. I may have misunderstood, but my thought is that glsa-check can perform updates behind my back.

CMIIW?

Rgds,

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:30:23 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > It would be worth adding glsa-check to that list. Run it every day
> > from cron to get mailed about any security risks.

> I'm a bit scared running glsa-check automatically. I may have
> misunderstood, but my thought is that glsa-check can perform updates
> behind my back.

That's an option, but one I've never used. Try glsa-check -t all.

--
Neil Bothwick

It's not a bug, it's tradition!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Pandu Poluan

On Feb 24, 2012 7:06 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 17:30:23 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> > > It would be worth adding glsa-check to that list. Run it every day

> > > from cron to get mailed about any security risks.

> > I'm a bit scared running glsa-check automatically. I may have

> > misunderstood, but my thought is that glsa-check can perform updates

> > behind my back.

> That's an option, but one I've never used. Try glsa-check -t all.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I'm going to study more on glsa-check tomorrow, and most likely add it into the cron job.

Rgds,