Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Ignas Anikevicius

Default KDE Replace Kwin with something else

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows what USE flag should I enable in order
to have the option to change the default WM in KDE settings to something
else. I want to run Awesome WM on top of KDE and currently I can not do
it from the KDE System Settings.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me.

Cheers,
Ignas A.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Mick

On Thursday 23 Feb 2012 21:54:07 Ignas Anikevicius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anybody knows what USE flag should I enable in order
> to have the option to change the default WM in KDE settings to something
> else. I want to run Awesome WM on top of KDE and currently I can not do
> it from the KDE System Settings.
>
> I'd be very grateful if someone could help me.

Have you tried starting Awesome and then running startkde in a terminal?
Mick

Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Alex Schuster

Ignas Anikevicius writes:

> I was wondering if anybody knows what USE flag should I enable in order
> to have the option to change the default WM in KDE settings to something
> else. I want to run Awesome WM on top of KDE and currently I can not do
> it from the KDE System Settings.

This has nothing to do with USE flags I think.

Open Systemsettings -> Standard Components, there's an entry for the
window manager. I can chose between KDE default (KWin), and another
window manager. The dropdown list has Metacity (GNOME) and Openbox,
although I have more window managers installed, including awesome, which
show up in KDM. Maybe this link helps:

http://www.nanolx.org/newslinux/kde4-change-wm

I find metacity.desktop and openbox.desktop
in /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/windowmanagers/, so I guess you have to find
awesome.desktop, and put it there. Or create such a file yourself like
suggestend in the link above.

Wonko

Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Ignas Anikevicius

I find metacity.desktop and openbox.desktop
in /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/windowmanagers/, so I guess you have to find
awesome.desktop, and put it there. Or create such a file yourself like
suggestend in the link above.

Thank you very much. Copying to this folder the desktop file helped me.

I.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Am Freitag, 24. Februar 2012, 02:14:01 schrieb Ignas Anikevicius:
> On 24/02/12 02:01, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > I find metacity.desktop and openbox.desktop
> > in /usr/share/apps/ksmserver/windowmanagers/, so I guess you have to find
> > awesome.desktop, and put it there. Or create such a file yourself like
> > suggestend in the link above.
>
> Thank you very much. Copying to this folder the desktop file helped me.
>
> I.

or just hit alt-F2, type killall kwin && awesome. or awesome --replace if it
does support that command.
--
#163933