-   -   "Invalid boot diskette" what do I do? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/636795-invalid-boot-diskette-what-do-i-do.html)

Grant 02-23-2012 08:29 PM

"Invalid boot diskette" what do I do?

[snip]
>> Things I would try:
>>
>> Go into BIOS and make sure settings are still proper (sometimes it can
>> get wiped out and set to bad values)
>>
>> Make sure BIOS can see the HDD manufacturer and model number etc.
>>
>> If not, power off, re-seat the HDD cables and try again
>>
>> If yes, boot from liveCD and use your favorite tools to examine the drive
>>
>> If the drive is visible, partition table in-tact, then I would try to
>> chroot into your gentoo and reinstall your boot loader like in the
>> installation handbook
>>
>> If drive is not visible, take it out and hook it up to another computer
>>
>> If other computer can read it, maybe your motherboard/controller got
>> fried somehow
>>
>> If other computer can't read it either... buy a new HDD and restore
>> from your most recent backup ;)
>
> Thank you everyone. *The system is remote so I will give this a try
> ASAP. *BTW, this happened due to someone pushing the power button
> during an eclean operation.
>
> - Grant

I'm amazed but disconnecting and reconnecting the IDE and power cable
fixed it. Which is your favorite tool for testing a HD's integrity
with and without S.M.A.R.T. support?

- Grant

James Broadhead 02-24-2012 07:55 PM

On 23 February 2012 21:29, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'm amazed but disconnecting and reconnecting the IDE and power cable
> fixed it. *Which is your favorite tool for testing a HD's integrity
> with and without S.M.A.R.T. support?

[i] gnome-extra/gsmartcontrol [1]
Available versions: (~)0.8.6 {debug}
Installed versions: 0.8.6(16:47:27 13/02/12)(-debug)
Homepage: http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/

[1] "sunrise" /var/lib/layman/sunrise

Is a great (and sorely needed) frontend for smartmontools - it even
colours lines in red when they indicate imminent failure!

Make sure that you have read the Google paper before trusting SMART
too far though -- they found (among other things) that it only
accurately predicts failure in 50% of cases.

Alan McKinnon 02-24-2012 08:09 PM

"Invalid boot diskette" what do I do?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:55:21 +0000
James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 February 2012 21:29, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > I'm amazed but disconnecting and reconnecting the IDE and power
> > cable fixed it. *Which is your favorite tool for testing a HD's
> > integrity with and without S.M.A.R.T. support?
>
> [i] gnome-extra/gsmartcontrol [1]
> Available versions: (~)0.8.6 {debug}
> Installed versions: 0.8.6(16:47:27 13/02/12)(-debug)
> Homepage: http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/
>
> [1] "sunrise" /var/lib/layman/sunrise
>
> Is a great (and sorely needed) frontend for smartmontools - it even
> colours lines in red when they indicate imminent failure!
>
> Make sure that you have read the Google paper before trusting SMART
> too far though -- they found (among other things) that it only
> accurately predicts failure in 50% of cases.

That's a fair trade in my book, seeing as without it I could
manage to accurately predict failure in 0% of cases.

Now to get the managers to understand that it's 50%, not 100% and stop
the endless whinging when SAN drives fail without prior SMART alerts

While on the topic, has anyone heard of research into false positives
wrt S.M.A.R.T?

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Grant 02-26-2012 04:14 AM

"Invalid boot diskette" what do I do?

>> [snip]
>>
>> I'm amazed but disconnecting and reconnecting the IDE and power cable
>> fixed it. *Which is your favorite tool for testing a HD's integrity
>> with and without S.M.A.R.T. support?
>
> [i] gnome-extra/gsmartcontrol [1]
> * * Available versions: *(~)0.8.6 {debug}
> * * Installed versions: *0.8.6(16:47:27 13/02/12)(-debug)
> * * Homepage: * * * * * *http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/
>
> [1] "sunrise" /var/lib/layman/sunrise
>
> Is a great (and sorely needed) frontend for smartmontools - it even
> colours lines in red when they indicate imminent failure!

That sounds good but I shy away from GUI tools. How does everyone go
about using smartctl for monitoring? Maybe just 'smartctl -a
/dev/sda' emailed daily?

- Grant

Volker Armin Hemmann 02-26-2012 02:10 PM

Am Samstag, 25. Februar 2012, 21:14:21 schrieb Grant:
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> I'm amazed but disconnecting and reconnecting the IDE and power cable
> >> fixed it. Which is your favorite tool for testing a HD's integrity
> >> with and without S.M.A.R.T. support?
> >
> > [i] gnome-extra/gsmartcontrol [1]
> > Available versions: (~)0.8.6 {debug}
> > Installed versions: 0.8.6(16:47:27 13/02/12)(-debug)
> > Homepage: http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/
> >
> > [1] "sunrise" /var/lib/layman/sunrise
> >
> > Is a great (and sorely needed) frontend for smartmontools - it even
> > colours lines in red when they indicate imminent failure!
>
> That sounds good but I shy away from GUI tools. How does everyone go
> about using smartctl for monitoring? Maybe just 'smartctl -a
> /dev/sda' emailed daily?
>
> - Grant

cat /etc/smartd.conf

/dev/sdb -m root@localhost -d ata -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../4/17|L/../(01|
15)/./20)
/dev/sdc -m root@localhost -d ata -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../4/17|L/../(01|
15)/./20)
/dev/sdd -m root@localhost -d ata -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../4/17|L/../(01|
15)/./20)
/dev/sde -m root@localhost -d ata -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../4/17|L/../(01|
15)/./20)
/dev/sdf -m root@localhost -d ata -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../4/17|L/../(01|
15)/./20)
/dev/sdg -m root@localhost -d ata -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../4/17|L/../(01|
15)/./20)
/dev/sdh -m root@localhost -d ata -a -o on -S on -s (S/../../4/17|L/../(01|
15)/./20)

postfix dumps all those mails into my mailbox

--
#163933