Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   No more FLASH on Linux ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/636776-no-more-flash-linux.html)

James 02-23-2012 07:49 PM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
Adobe has announce no more Flash on Linux.

What the the (gentoo) plan for those of us that want
to still view websites that use FLASH from a gentoo
workstation (besides using chrome)?


What are the work arounds for web surfing without
FLASH support?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA2MDc


James

Nikos Chantziaras 02-23-2012 07:57 PM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
On 23/02/12 22:49, James wrote:

Adobe has announce no more Flash on Linux.

What the the (gentoo) plan for those of us that want
to still view websites that use FLASH from a gentoo
workstation (besides using chrome)?

What are the work arounds for web surfing without
FLASH support?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA2MDc


We will have to worry about this in 5 years, since the Phoronix title is
a bit misleading. The real news is "no more Flash on Linux in 5 years".
Adobe will support the current version of Flash for 5 years on Linux.


Also, maybe other browsers will adopt the Pepper API. If yes, we will
be able to run Google's version of Flash on browsers other than Chrome.

Philip Webb 02-24-2012 02:22 AM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
120223 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 23/02/12 22:49, James wrote:
>> Adobe has announce no more Flash on Linux.
> The real news is "no more Flash on Linux in 5 years".

Isn't HTML 5 due to replace Flash long before then ?

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

Nikos Chantziaras 02-24-2012 03:15 AM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
On 24/02/12 05:22, Philip Webb wrote:

120223 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 23/02/12 22:49, James wrote:

Adobe has announce no more Flash on Linux.

The real news is "no more Flash on Linux in 5 years".


Isn't HTML 5 due to replace Flash long before then ?


It's not compatible with Flash, so no; it can never truly replace it. It
can be used as an alternative though. It's just like with Linux vs
Windows. Linux cannot replace Windows. It's an alternative.


My guess is that Flash will remain very popular in the next 5 years, but
HTML 5 will see increased use. I don't refer to video here, but to web
applications. Video will probably keep Flash alive for a very long
time, since HTML5 leaves it up to the browser what video formats the
user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.

pk 02-24-2012 04:02 AM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
On 2012-02-24 05:15, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
> PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
> is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.

It's only guaranteed if flash is installed. HTML5 is pretty much
"guaranteed" with current browsers.
I know I may be in the minority here but flash is coming no where near
my computers, nor the ones I support (my mother etc.).

Best regards

Peter K

Nikos Chantziaras 02-24-2012 06:30 AM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
On 24/02/12 07:02, pk wrote:

On 2012-02-24 05:15, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:


user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.


It's only guaranteed if flash is installed. HTML5 is pretty much
"guaranteed" with current browsers.


Flash has about 95% coverage. That means virtually everyone has it
installed. HTML5 on the other hand does not guarantee video playback.
If you're on Firefox for example, it won't play MPEG video, but will
play Theora. If you're on IE or Safari, it won't play Theora but will
play MPEG.


With Flash, you *know* that it will play your video. You don't have to
like it, but it's a fact; an important one. Yeah, I know, sucks for
Linux which has poor Flash support, but what can you do? This is a
reality and you can't blame people for choosing the safe bet.

Mick 02-24-2012 10:24 AM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
On Friday 24 Feb 2012 07:30:01 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 24/02/12 07:02, pk wrote:
> > On 2012-02-24 05:15, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
> >> PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
> >> is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.
> >
> > It's only guaranteed if flash is installed. HTML5 is pretty much
> > "guaranteed" with current browsers.
>
> Flash has about 95% coverage. That means virtually everyone has it
> installed. HTML5 on the other hand does not guarantee video playback.
> If you're on Firefox for example, it won't play MPEG video, but will
> play Theora. If you're on IE or Safari, it won't play Theora but will
> play MPEG.
>
> With Flash, you *know* that it will play your video. You don't have to
> like it, but it's a fact; an important one. Yeah, I know, sucks for
> Linux which has poor Flash support, but what can you do? This is a
> reality and you can't blame people for choosing the safe bet.

The thing is that apple smartphones and tablets do not offer flash. Desktop
volumes are in decline, while smartphones and tablets sales are increasing.
This could be seasonal of course, but if the future moves away from the flash
capable desktop, then flash will become increasingly obsolete.
--
Regards,
Mick

james 02-24-2012 01:13 PM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:


> The thing is that apple smartphones and tablets do not offer flash. Desktop
> volumes are in decline, while smartphones and tablets sales are increasing.
> This could be seasonal of course, but if the future moves away from the flash
> capable desktop, then flash will become increasingly obsolete.

I sympathize with where you are headed. But reality is FLASH is very
entrenched. Numerous sites, that I have no choice but to use, use
FLASH in a centric role. This is going to force folks to have a
doz system for reliable access. Hopefully by then Windos.x will be
easily setup in a VM on Linux, so the requisite browser can be
launched therein..... or some solution.

For example, much of the State of Florida's online education
offered requires FLASH. No amount of complaints will
change that. No other alternatives. You cannot just 'will'
away Flash, imho.

Thanks to all for the input, as I shall just 'wait and see'...


James

Grant Edwards 02-24-2012 02:35 PM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
On 2012-02-24, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 24/02/12 07:02, pk wrote:
>> On 2012-02-24 05:15, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>
>>> user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
>>> PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
>>> is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.
>>
>> It's only guaranteed if flash is installed. HTML5 is pretty much
>> "guaranteed" with current browsers.
>
> Flash has about 95% coverage.
> That means virtually everyone has it installed.

That's hard to believe. The number of iPads and and iPhones out there
is getting pretty high, and they don't have flash and never will.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Go on, EMOTE!
at I was RAISED on thought
gmail.com balloons!!

Mick 02-24-2012 06:13 PM

No more FLASH on Linux ?
 
On Friday 24 Feb 2012 14:13:29 james wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > The thing is that apple smartphones and tablets do not offer flash.
> > Desktop volumes are in decline, while smartphones and tablets sales are
> > increasing. This could be seasonal of course, but if the future moves
> > away from the flash capable desktop, then flash will become increasingly
> > obsolete.
>
> I sympathize with where you are headed. But reality is FLASH is very
> entrenched. Numerous sites, that I have no choice but to use, use
> FLASH in a centric role. This is going to force folks to have a
> doz system for reliable access. Hopefully by then Windos.x will be
> easily setup in a VM on Linux, so the requisite browser can be
> launched therein..... or some solution.
>
> For example, much of the State of Florida's online education
> offered requires FLASH. No amount of complaints will
> change that. No other alternatives. You cannot just 'will'
> away Flash, imho.
>
> Thanks to all for the input, as I shall just 'wait and see'...

If you go back a few years there was no flash. Then flash arrived and some web
designers went mad at creating flash-only websites. Very very poor google
rankings was not a problem for them, as long as the site looked errrm ...
flash? Ha, ha!

Then common sense followed where by flash elements were added, but websites
retained (X)HTML, CSS and javascript.

In the future it is likely that HTML5, continuously improving javascript
functionality and perhaps some new technology will render flash redundant; but
I agree with you that this won't likely happen overnight.
--
Regards,
Mick


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.