Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM
William Kenworthy

Default No more FLASH on Linux ?

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 15:35 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2012-02-24, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

> >> It's only guaranteed if flash is installed. HTML5 is pretty much
> >> "guaranteed" with current browsers.
> >
> > Flash has about 95% coverage.
> > That means virtually everyone has it installed.
>
> That's hard to believe. The number of iPads and and iPhones out there
> is getting pretty high, and they don't have flash and never will.

Work supplied an ipad for me - what a pain. So many sites use flash its
relegated to "toy" status even for web browsing. For my Cisco
Netacademy work Ive installed win7 in qemu and access via rdp so I can
use view flash, webinars etc. On a recent trip to Europe we took my
wifes ipad and at the last minute added my old sony vaio (gentoo) laptop
to the luggage - as well we did or we would have been stranded - so many
booking/travel information sites use flash ...

Reality is (for us) we cant do without being able to view flash content.

BillK

Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.

It's only guaranteed if flash is installed. HTML5 is pretty much
"guaranteed" with current browsers.

Flash has about 95% coverage.
That means virtually everyone has it installed.

That's hard to believe. The number of iPads and and iPhones out there
is getting pretty high, and they don't have flash and never will.

In PCs, not other machines.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Pandu Poluan

> Work supplied an ipad for me - what a pain. *So many sites use flash its

> relegated to "toy" status even for web browsing. *For my Cisco

> Netacademy work Ive installed win7 in qemu and access via rdp so I can

> use view flash, webinars etc. *On a recent trip to Europe we took my

> wifes ipad and at the last minute added my old sony vaio (gentoo) laptop

> to the luggage - as well we did or we would have been stranded - so many

> booking/travel information sites use flash ...

> Reality is (for us) we cant do without being able to view flash content.

> BillK

True, that.

That's why I prefer Android tablets to iPads.

Rgds,

Old 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-02-25, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 24/02/12 17:35, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> Flash has about 95% coverage.
>>> That means virtually everyone has it installed.
>>
>> That's hard to believe. The number of iPads and and iPhones out there
>> is getting pretty high, and they don't have flash and never will.
>
> In PCs, not other machines.

Why the restriction to PCs? Web designers and website owners don't
care about PCs. They care about browsers and eyballs.

--
Grant

Old 02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Michael Hampicke

> I know I may be in the minority here but flash is coming no where near
> my computers, nor the ones I support (my mother etc.).

I offer no solution to what about to do in 5 years when there's no more
flash support on linux.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to say: _I hope flash dies
painfully and rots in hell!_ I'll be passing around virtual bottles of
beer to everyone when it's finally dead.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

user can watch. Flash on the other hand guarantees web designers that a
PC user can watch their videos. Having a guarantee that something works
is a very powerful incentive; you do not abandon something that works.

It's only guaranteed if flash is installed. HTML5 is pretty much
"guaranteed" with current browsers.

Flash has about 95% coverage.
That means virtually everyone has it installed.

That's hard to believe. The number of iPads and and iPhones out there
is getting pretty high, and they don't have flash and never will.

In PCs, not other machines.

Why the restriction to PCs? Web designers and website owners don't
care about PCs. They care about browsers and eyballs.

PC users have browsers. 95% of those browsers have Flash.

I think this is pretty easy to understand. Perhaps it's a language
barrier and I have trouble expressing myself clearly?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2012-02-25, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 25/02/12 16:48, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> In PCs, not other machines.
>>
>> Why the restriction to PCs? Web designers and website owners don't
>> care about PCs. They care about browsers and eyballs.
>
> PC users have browsers. 95% of those browsers have Flash.

But your original statement was about "everyone". "Everyone" isn't
limited to PCs. It includes iPads and iPods and iPhones. There are
10's of millions of those out there, and they don't have flash.

> I think this is pretty easy to understand. Perhaps it's a language
> barrier and I have trouble expressing myself clearly?

I guess to me "everyone" is a more inclusive term.

--
Grant

Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 00:32:33 +0000 (UTC)
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2012-02-25, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

> >> Why the restriction to PCs? Web designers and website owners don't
> >> care about PCs. They care about browsers and eyballs.
> >
> > PC users have browsers. 95% of those browsers have Flash.
>
> But your original statement was about "everyone". "Everyone" isn't
> limited to PCs. It includes iPads and iPods and iPhones. There are
> 10's of millions of those out there, and they don't have flash.
>
> > I think this is pretty easy to understand. Perhaps it's a language
> > barrier and I have trouble expressing myself clearly?
>
> I guess to me "everyone" is a more inclusive term.

The majority of sites running Flash were set up when iPads were just a
glint in Steve's eyes and the total market for non-Windows non-PC
browser platforms was too small to be relevant. Changing those sites is
not easy or simple.

So while it's perfectly true that there are now lots of non-flash
platforms out there, there's also this thing called "cultural inertia"
meaning that so much of the web still treats the web as being a place
where Flash has almost universal penetration

It's quite valid to mention "everyone" in this context, just realise
that it's used idiomatically (like almost every other word in
English...)

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com