Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Robin Atwood

Default Anybody have kdebluetooth working?

I have just tried to send a file from my phone to my laptop running KDE 4.8.0
and it fails; the two devices never bind. When I set up the laptop it was
running KDE 4.6.3 and bluetooth worked fine. The BlueZ libraries have changed
substantially since, I think. Using 'hcitool inq' works fine, it's the KDE
dialogs which sit there searching endlessly. Any recommended settings for
/etc/bluetooth/*? Doc is a bit hard to come by.

TIA
-Robin
Robin Atwood.

from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling

Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
James Broadhead

On 23 February 2012 12:39, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net> wrote:
> I have just tried to send a file from my phone to my laptop running KDE 4.8.0
> and it fails; the two devices never bind. When I set up the laptop it was
> running KDE 4.6.3 and bluetooth worked fine. The BlueZ libraries have changed
> substantially since, I think. Using 'hcitool inq' works fine, it's the KDE
> dialogs which sit there searching endlessly. Any recommended settings for
> /etc/bluetooth/*? Doc is a bit hard to come by.
>
> TIA
> -Robin

Not exactly on-topic, but I recently got my bluetooth headset working
without any major hassle using net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth by
- Building the appropriate communications-types modules
- Starting the bluetooth init script
- Running bluetooth-wizard to pair and bluetooth-applet to connect/disconnect

Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Mick

On Thursday 23 Feb 2012 12:47:00 James Broadhead wrote:
> On 23 February 2012 12:39, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net> wrote:
> > I have just tried to send a file from my phone to my laptop running KDE
> > 4.8.0 and it fails; the two devices never bind. When I set up the laptop
> > it was running KDE 4.6.3 and bluetooth worked fine. The BlueZ libraries
> > have changed substantially since, I think. Using 'hcitool inq' works
> > fine, it's the KDE dialogs which sit there searching endlessly. Any
> > recommended settings for /etc/bluetooth/*? Doc is a bit hard to come by.
> >
> > TIA
> > -Robin
>
> Not exactly on-topic, but I recently got my bluetooth headset working
> without any major hassle using net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth by
> - Building the appropriate communications-types modules
> - Starting the bluetooth init script
> - Running bluetooth-wizard to pair and bluetooth-applet to
> connect/disconnect

I'm using net-wireless/bluedevil-1.2.2 and I do not have any such problems.
However, I'm not using the whole KDE desktop and I'm still on KDEPIM 4.4.11.1
Mick

Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Juan Diego Tascón

I have never been able to pair in a2dp mode and pulseaudio with either
kdebluetooth nor gnome bluetooth, only blueman seems to be doing a
good job for that

Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Canek Peláez Valdés

El 24/02/2012 09:31, "Juan Diego Tascón" <juantascon@gmail.com> escribió:

> I have never been able to pair in a2dp mode and pulseaudio with either

> kdebluetooth nor gnome bluetooth, only blueman seems to be doing a

> good job for that

In GNOME (both 2 and 3), you just add the bluetooth headset, and in the sound settings you choose A2DP. That's all. I have never touched the config files under /etc/bluetooth.

Regards.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Mick

On Friday 24 Feb 2012 11:46:33 Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 23 Feb 2012 12:47:00 James Broadhead wrote:
> > On 23 February 2012 12:39, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net>
wrote:
> > > I have just tried to send a file from my phone to my laptop running KDE
> > > 4.8.0 and it fails; the two devices never bind. When I set up the
> > > laptop it was running KDE 4.6.3 and bluetooth worked fine. The BlueZ
> > > libraries have changed substantially since, I think. Using 'hcitool
> > > inq' works fine, it's the KDE dialogs which sit there searching
> > > endlessly. Any recommended settings for /etc/bluetooth/*? Doc is a bit
> > > hard to come by.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > -Robin
> >
> > Not exactly on-topic, but I recently got my bluetooth headset working
> > without any major hassle using net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth by
> > - Building the appropriate communications-types modules
> > - Starting the bluetooth init script
> > - Running bluetooth-wizard to pair and bluetooth-applet to
> > connect/disconnect
>
> I'm using net-wireless/bluedevil-1.2.2 and I do not have any such problems.
> However, I'm not using the whole KDE desktop and I'm still on KDEPIM
> 4.4.11.1

I had a go at browsing the filesystem on my Blackberry. It won't work.

obexftp fails in each case to list the contents on the BB internal flash. When
looking under Known Devices on the Bluedevil applet on the desktop, it says:

"No supported services found"

which make me think that the way this BB is set up, it won't share its fs with
a PC.

if your run:

# sdptool browse <your_device_MAC_address>

it will list a number of services that the device supports after you connect
it to your PC.

Although I could not browse any files using Dophin or obexftp, I was able to
send and receive files using obex push.

HTH.
Mick

Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Robin Atwood

On Sunday 26 Feb 2012, Mick wrote:
> On Friday 24 Feb 2012 11:46:33 Mick wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 Feb 2012 12:47:00 James Broadhead wrote:

> > > Not exactly on-topic, but I recently got my bluetooth headset working
> > > without any major hassle using net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth by
> > > - Building the appropriate communications-types modules
> > > - Starting the bluetooth init script
> > > - Running bluetooth-wizard to pair and bluetooth-applet to
> > > connect/disconnect
> >
> > I'm using net-wireless/bluedevil-1.2.2 and I do not have any such
> > problems. However, I'm not using the whole KDE desktop and I'm still on
> > KDEPIM 4.4.11.1
>
> I had a go at browsing the filesystem on my Blackberry. It won't work.
>
> obexftp fails in each case to list the contents on the BB internal flash.
> When looking under Known Devices on the Bluedevil applet on the desktop,
> it says:
>
> "No supported services found"
>
> which make me think that the way this BB is set up, it won't share its fs
> with a PC.
>
> if your run:
>
> # sdptool browse <your_device_MAC_address>
>
> it will list a number of services that the device supports after you
> connect it to your PC.
>
> Although I could not browse any files using Dophin or obexftp, I was able
> to send and receive files using obex push.

I tried the browse but got "Protocol not supported".

Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Mick

On 26 February 2012 15:12, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 26 Feb 2012, Mick wrote:

>> if your run:
>>
>> # sdptool browse <your_device_MAC_address>
>>
>> it will list a number of services that the device supports after you
>> connect it to your PC.
>>
>> Although I could not browse any files using Dophin or obexftp, I was able
>> to send and receive files using obex push.
>
> I tried the browse but got "Protocol not supported".

Hmm ... odd!

Have you compiled all the necessary BT drivers in your kernel/as
modules? Are they loaded?

Mick

Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Robin Atwood

On Monday 27 Feb 2012, Mick wrote:
> On 26 February 2012 15:12, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 Feb 2012, Mick wrote:
> >> if your run:
> >>
> >> # sdptool browse <your_device_MAC_address>
> >>
> >> it will list a number of services that the device supports after you
> >> connect it to your PC.
> >>
> >> Although I could not browse any files using Dophin or obexftp, I was
> >> able to send and receive files using obex push.
> >
> > I tried the browse but got "Protocol not supported".
>
> Hmm ... odd!
>
> Have you compiled all the necessary BT drivers in your kernel/as
> modules? Are they loaded?

I am glad we had this little chat! I always pass my kernel configs from
release to release, so I went and checked the bluetooth section, and lo, it
looks like it got reorganised some time after version 3.0.0 and lots of
options were no longer checked. Fixed that and now bluetooth works: I can
transfer files and browse the phones storage.

Thanks for giving me a nudge.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 27 February 2012 23:29:35 Robin Atwood wrote:

> "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,

> *Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"

> *********from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling

*

Please check the spelling of the third word in that quotation. I'm pretty certain that "somewheres" is purely American, which of course Kipling was not.

*

--

Rgds

Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23