FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Coert Waagmeester
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

Hello all,

Usually on gentoo when gentoo-sources gets updated, updating the kernel
went as follows:


eselect kernel set {new kernel}
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

and then there was a totally clean config which I would then customize
for the specific setup.


On one box I am currently running 3.1.6-gentoo
When I start make menuconfig for 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 it would appear as if
it got my current config from somewhere, eg local version.


Is this a new feature?

To make sure of this I unistalled all gentoo-sources pkgs, deleted
everything /usr/src/linux*

installed the latest gentoo-sources
yet it still seems to find the current config somewhere

Anyway, just wondering,,

Regards,
Coert
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Mick
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On Thursday 23 Feb 2012 08:10:56 Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Usually on gentoo when gentoo-sources gets updated, updating the kernel
> went as follows:
>
> eselect kernel set {new kernel}
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig
>
> and then there was a totally clean config which I would then customize
> for the specific setup.
>
> On one box I am currently running 3.1.6-gentoo
> When I start make menuconfig for 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 it would appear as if
> it got my current config from somewhere, eg local version.
>
> Is this a new feature?
>
> To make sure of this I unistalled all gentoo-sources pkgs, deleted
> everything /usr/src/linux*
> installed the latest gentoo-sources
> yet it still seems to find the current config somewhere
>
> Anyway, just wondering,,
>
> Regards,
> Coert

Where does the /usr/src/linux symlink point to? Here's mine:

$ ls -la /usr/src/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 4 11:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Dec 27 09:01 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 16 2010 .keep
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Feb 4 11:40 linux -> /usr/src/linux-3.2.1-
gentoo-r2
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Oct 16 16:40 linux-2.6.39-gentoo-r3
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Dec 8 21:35 linux-3.0.6-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Feb 18 13:31 linux-3.2.1-gentoo-r2
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Coert Waagmeester
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On 02/23/2012 10:25 AM, Mick wrote:

On Thursday 23 Feb 2012 08:10:56 Coert Waagmeester wrote:

Hello all,

Usually on gentoo when gentoo-sources gets updated, updating the kernel
went as follows:

eselect kernel set {new kernel}
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

and then there was a totally clean config which I would then customize
for the specific setup.

On one box I am currently running 3.1.6-gentoo
When I start make menuconfig for 3.2.1-gentoo-r2 it would appear as if
it got my current config from somewhere, eg local version.

Is this a new feature?

To make sure of this I unistalled all gentoo-sources pkgs, deleted
everything /usr/src/linux*
installed the latest gentoo-sources
yet it still seems to find the current config somewhere

Anyway, just wondering,,

Regards,
Coert


Where does the /usr/src/linux symlink point to? Here's mine:

$ ls -la /usr/src/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Feb 4 11:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 Dec 27 09:01 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Dec 16 2010 .keep
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Feb 4 11:40 linux -> /usr/src/linux-3.2.1-
gentoo-r2
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Oct 16 16:40 linux-2.6.39-gentoo-r3
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Dec 8 21:35 linux-3.0.6-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Feb 18 13:31 linux-3.2.1-gentoo-r2



Here is mine:
# ls -l /usr/src/
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Feb 23 10:02 linux -> linux-3.2.1-gentoo-r2
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Feb 23 10:23 linux-3.2.1-gentoo-r2

and I made sure that its a completely clean install of gentoo-sources

The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config files
in /boot?

# ls -l /boot/
total 13760
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2336082 Jan 5 12:03 System.map-3.1.6-gentoo-cj-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2422336 Feb 23 10:23 System.map-3.2.1-gentoo-r2-cj-2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 Jan 9 13:38 boot -> .
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 68292 Jan 5 12:03 config-3.1.6-gentoo-cj-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 70578 Feb 23 10:23 config-3.2.1-gentoo-r2-cj-2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 23 10:48 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4563312 Jan 5 12:03 vmlinuz-3.1.6-gentoo-cj-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4608752 Feb 23 10:23 vmlinuz-3.2.1-gentoo-r2-cj-2

Rgds,
Coert
 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:51:43 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:

> The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config
> files in /boot?

I'd say it's more likely to be getting it from /proc/config.gz.

But why start with a clean config each time? That means you have plenty
of opportunities to produce a broken kernel on every update.


--
Neil Bothwick

This is as bad as it can get; but don't bet on it.
 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM
William Kenworthy
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 10:10 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Usually on gentoo when gentoo-sources gets updated, updating the kernel
> went as follows:
>
> eselect kernel set {new kernel}
> cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
> make menuconfig
...


BillK
 
Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Coert Waagmeester
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On 02/23/2012 11:17 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:51:43 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:


The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config
files in /boot?


I'd say it's more likely to be getting it from /proc/config.gz.

But why start with a clean config each time? That means you have plenty
of opportunities to produce a broken kernel on every update.




Is there a way to import old config files with newer kernel sources?
I tried it once by simply copying .config into the newer src dir, but I
read somewhere that there could be incompatibilities.
 
Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:48:35 +0200
Coert Waagmeester <lgroups@waagmeester.co.za> wrote:

> On 02/23/2012 11:17 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:51:43 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> >
> >> The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config
> >> files in /boot?
> >
> > I'd say it's more likely to be getting it from /proc/config.gz.
> >
> > But why start with a clean config each time? That means you have
> > plenty of opportunities to produce a broken kernel on every update.
> >
> >
>
> Is there a way to import old config files with newer kernel sources?
> I tried it once by simply copying .config into the newer src dir, but
> I read somewhere that there could be incompatibilities.
>

That is exactly how you do it. Copy a .config over and run make
oldconfig

Yes, there could be incompatibilities. This might happen once every few
years when you do an upgrade over 10 version numbers. But that can be
fixed.

Not doing it this way means a very high likelyhood of the machine not
booting with every single upgrade, plus the huge amount of work it
takes to go through everything in menuconfig.

The choices are simple,

- low risk of occasional breakage
- high risk of frequent breakage



--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 PM
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:17:34AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:51:43 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
>
> > The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config
> > files in /boot?
>
> I'd say it's more likely to be getting it from /proc/config.gz.
>
> But why start with a clean config each time? That means you have plenty
> of opportunities to produce a broken kernel on every update.
>
>
> --
> Neil Bothwick
>
> This is as bad as it can get; but don't bet on it.


yea, I was thinking along those line, too. If I had to start from scratch
each update, what a chore that would be!

Terry
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 01:08:22PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:48:35 +0200
> Coert Waagmeester <lgroups@waagmeester.co.za> wrote:
>
> > On 02/23/2012 11:17 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > > On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:51:43 +0200, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> > >
> > >> The only thing I can currently think of is maybe the kernel config
> > >> files in /boot?
> > >
> > > I'd say it's more likely to be getting it from /proc/config.gz.
> > >
> > > But why start with a clean config each time? That means you have
> > > plenty of opportunities to produce a broken kernel on every update.
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Is there a way to import old config files with newer kernel sources?
> > I tried it once by simply copying .config into the newer src dir, but
> > I read somewhere that there could be incompatibilities.
> >
>
> That is exactly how you do it. Copy a .config over and run make
> oldconfig
>
> Yes, there could be incompatibilities. This might happen once every few
> years when you do an upgrade over 10 version numbers. But that can be
> fixed.
>
> Not doing it this way means a very high likelyhood of the machine not
> booting with every single upgrade, plus the huge amount of work it
> takes to go through everything in menuconfig.
>
> The choices are simple,
>
> - low risk of occasional breakage
> - high risk of frequent breakage
>
>
>
> --
> Alan McKinnnon
> alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
>
>

Or just import .config into the 'New' directory, and run plain ol' make
menuconfig. Menuconfig will import what it can from the old config. From
what I've read of the docs, make oldconfig is the dangerous part that should
be avoided between substantial kernel updates.

Terry
 
Old 02-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:11:24 -0800, ny6p01@gmail.com wrote:

> Or just import .config into the 'New' directory, and run plain ol' make
> menuconfig. Menuconfig will import what it can from the old config. From
> what I've read of the docs, make oldconfig is the dangerous part that
> should be avoided between substantial kernel updates.

make oldconfig is not the risk, importing the old config is. oldconfig
tries to convert the old config to suit the new kernel, with a success
rate probably in excess of 99%, despite what has been written about it.

Using the old .config without make oldconfig is a good way of getting
the worst of both worlds.


--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #56: Operator fell asleep while waiting.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org