Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Default : how to make new dictionaries work on Fir

Em , frares@gmail.com escreveu:
> >Em , Nikos Chantziaras realnc@arcor.de> escreveu:
> > > On 22/02/12 13:55, frares@gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, All
> > >
> > > I have had problems installing new dictionaries in Firefox since I left
> > > the old 3.X series. Now, on FF 9.0, it is still the same.
> > >
> > > I am able to install a new dictionary, just can't use it. I even tried
> > > and installed a manual and an auto dictionary switcher, and the new
> > > dictionary does not even appear on their list of available dictionaries.
> > >
> > > Am I missing something?
> > >

> > For some weird reason, Firefox as packaged by Gentoo doesn't support dictionaries. *It only supports hunspell (or aspell, can't remember) which you need to install first along with dictionaries for it. *After you do that, you will get a gazillion of English dictionaries that you can't disable. *You'll need to live with it, since no one cares about this bug.
> >

> Thank you.
>
> I'll try the aspel or hunspell dictionaries.
>
> Best regards
> Francisco

If there is anyone interested:

- download the firefox dictionary in XPI file format; it is a ZIP file;
- unpack it to a separate directory (just to make things tidy);
- in that directory there will be a "dictionaries" folder;
- as root, copy the AFF and DIC format files to /usr/share/myspell/ ;
- restart Firefox.

For me, it works.

Best regards
Francisco