Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Mark Knecht

Default mask all packages but 1 from an overlay?

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can I mask all packages from a layman overlay except for one?
>>
>> Check out Mark Knecht's thread from 5 hours ago asking the same question.
>
> Ouch, sorry. *I bet he was doing the exact same thing I'm doing. *Darn
> poppler, eh Mark! *The version number is the same so you can't mask it
> out even temporarily.
>
>> Short answer was don't let portage see the overlay, instead symlink
>> the packages you want to your local overlay instead, so only they will
>> be seen by portage, while still allowing you to sync the overlay as
>> usual.
>
> Based on that info, I just copied it into /usr/local/portage. *It's
> hal so I don't think there is to much likelihood of an update.
>
> - Grant

Hi Grant,
That's funny! Both of us asking the same thing on the same day.

In my case it wasn't poplar. I use the init6 overlay to get handbrake
but I started noticing that there are a number of other things my
system was pulling in from init6, like nvidia-settings, which I didn't
want it to pull in. I want to get everything I need and can get from
the standard repository from the standard repository. I only want to
go to the overlay when I absolutely need to and it's not clear to me
when there's a duplication between the standard repository and
whatever an overlay points at which one emerge choses.

Good luck with your overlay stuff. I'm going to try Neil's idea later
this week and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Mark