Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
James

Default Gentoo Raid install via ubuntu

Hello,

Well someone has suggested that to install Gentoo on a Raid system,
just use the latest version of Ubuntu to set up the raid. Then
you can do a traditional install on top of the Ubuntu and
you have a RAID install of Gentoo.

Is this practical?

Has anyone installed gentoo on ubuntu raid install?
If so, your experiences?

curiously,
James

Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:39 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well someone has suggested that to install Gentoo on a Raid system,
> just use the latest version of Ubuntu to set up the raid. Then
> you can do a traditional install on top of the Ubuntu and
> you have a RAID install of Gentoo.
>
> Is this practical?
>
> Has anyone installed gentoo on ubuntu raid install?
> If so, your experiences?

I haven't tried anything that way, but is sounds like using Ubuntu as
a fancy bootstrap to replace the Gentoo live boot environment, and
seems unnecessary. Have you tried the Gentoo live DVD?

--
:wq

Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:46:02 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:

> > Has anyone installed gentoo on ubuntu raid install?
> > If so, your experiences?
>
> I haven't tried anything that way, but is sounds like using Ubuntu as
> a fancy bootstrap to replace the Gentoo live boot environment, and
> seems unnecessary. Have you tried the Gentoo live DVD?

I did this several years ago, because I wanted a functional distro to
work with while compiling everything, a long task with the hardware of the
day. It's no different to using a live CD for the job, just make sure the
tools you need are installing in the host OS before you start.

--
Neil Bothwick

Did you know that eskimos have 17 different words for linguist?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:46:02 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
>
>> > Has anyone installed gentoo on ubuntu raid install?
>> > If so, your experiences?
>>
>> I haven't tried anything that way, but is sounds like using Ubuntu as
>> a fancy bootstrap to replace the Gentoo live boot environment, and
>> seems unnecessary. Have you tried the Gentoo live DVD?
>
> I did this several years ago, because I wanted a functional distro to
> work with while compiling everything, a long task with the hardware of the
> day. It's no different to using a live CD for the job, just make sure the
> tools you need are installing in the host OS before you start.

I prefer to do it this way, as I can load up the Gentoo Handbook in a
browser and avoid the risk of some typos by copy/pasting some
commands. And if I hit an error[1], I can copy/paste if I need to dig
up someone else who's had a similar problem.

[1] And, really, every new box is unique, and I always find
*something* to file a bug report against...

--
:wq

Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I haven't tried anything that way, but is sounds like using Ubuntu as
>>> a fancy bootstrap to replace the Gentoo live boot environment, and
>>> seems unnecessary. Have you tried the Gentoo live DVD?
>>
>> I did this several years ago, because I wanted a functional distro to
>> work with while compiling everything, a long task with the hardware of the
>> day. It's no different to using a live CD for the job, just make sure the
>> tools you need are installing in the host OS before you start.
>
> I prefer to do it this way, as I can load up the Gentoo Handbook in a
> browser and avoid the risk of some typos by copy/pasting some
> commands. And if I hit an error[1], I can copy/paste if I need to dig
> up someone else who's had a similar problem.
>
> [1] And, really, every new box is unique, and I always find
> *something* to file a bug report against...
>
> --
> :wq

Is it the only running machine and you con only do the install sitting
at the machine?

I do most installs by booting the Gentoo install CD, enabling shh and
then shelling in from another machine where I run the handbook and
copy/paste the commandsin my shell terminal. No need for Ubuntu to do
that unless the machine is somehow in isolation and doesn't have
networking.

That said, using Ubuntu might be a very good way to do it especially
if you are going to build a RAID which isn't automatically recognizzed
at bott by the kernel. I.e. - needs an initrd. Think metadata > 0.9
and things like RAID5 or 6.

I once used Ubuntu to get a PowerPC machine booting Linux, then
studied how Ubuntu did and did my Gentoo install from scratch on a
different partition until it worked at which time I removed Ubuntu.

Just some thoughts,
Mark

Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I did this several years ago, because I wanted a functional distro to
>>> work with while compiling everything, a long task with the hardware of the
>>> day. It's no different to using a live CD for the job, just make sure the
>>> tools you need are installing in the host OS before you start.
>>
>> I prefer to do it this way, as I can load up the Gentoo Handbook in a
>> browser and avoid the risk of some typos by copy/pasting some
>> commands. And if I hit an error[1], I can copy/paste if I need to dig
>> up someone else who's had a similar problem.
>>
>> [1] And, really, every new box is unique, and I always find
>> *something* to file a bug report against...
>
> Is it the only running machine and you con only do the install sitting
> at the machine?

Occasionally that's the most convenient approach, sure. Especially
when physical space is tight, or when the new box has much larger
display[s] available to it.

> I do most installs by booting the Gentoo install CD, enabling shh and
> then shelling in from another machine where I run the handbook and
> copy/paste the commandsin my shell terminal. No need for Ubuntu to do
> that unless the machine is somehow in isolation and doesn't have
> networking.
>
> That said, using Ubuntu might be a very good way to do it especially
> if you are going to build a RAID which isn't automatically recognizzed
> at bott by the kernel. I.e. - needs an initrd. Think metadata > 0.9
> and things like RAID5 or 6.
>
> I once used Ubuntu to get a PowerPC machine booting Linux, then
> studied how Ubuntu did and did my Gentoo install from scratch on a
> different partition until it worked at which time I removed Ubuntu.

Note I never said I used Ubuntu for this process. I was using the
Gentoo live DVD. I don't see the need to use an Ubuntu disc over a
Gentoo disc, in this case.

--
:wq

Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 PM
James

Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> I haven't tried anything that way, but is sounds like using Ubuntu as
> >> a fancy bootstrap to replace the Gentoo live boot environment, and
> >> seems unnecessary. Have you tried the Gentoo live DVD?

It sets up the raid1 on /boot/root/swap (identical drives) really easy.
Since GPTfdisk does not exist on any gentoo installation media, it
sounds like the easiest (most direct path) to set up a RAID-1 gentoo
workstation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID

Is this url the guide you used?
Any other links?

> > I did this several years ago, because I wanted a functional distro to
> > work with while compiling everything, a long task with the hardware of the
> > day. It's no different to using a live CD for the job, just make sure the
> > tools you need are installing in the host OS before you start.

I think I'm going to take the plunge.
What did your partition setup look like?

Can you post or send me privately a copy of the fstab used for
the UUID devices, cdrom etc etc?

James

Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Michael Mol

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> It sets up the raid1 on /boot/root/swap (identical drives) really easy.
> Since GPTfdisk does not exist on any gentoo installation media, it
> sounds like the easiest (most direct path) to set up a RAID-1 gentoo
> workstation.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID
>
> Is this url the guide you used?
> Any other links?

This is all I've ever used:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

--
:wq

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It sets up the raid1 on /boot/root/swap (identical drives) really easy.
>> Since GPTfdisk does not exist on any gentoo installation media, it
>> sounds like the easiest (most direct path) to set up a RAID-1 gentoo
>> workstation.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID
>>
>> Is this url the guide you used?
>> Any other links?
>
> This is all I've ever used:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
>
> --
> :wq

Another tool for your toolbox

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 PM
james

Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml

Yes I tried this link and ended up with a system that would not boot.

Something everyone but Neil is missing, is using the Ubuntu to setup the
raid array to where the system will reboot. Then install Gentoo.
That's why I cannot make any of the gentoo_ish install methods work.

I've built dozens of gentoo systems, over the years, without many issues.
I've spent way too much time trying to get a working raid1 install.

Grub2, fstab examples, fdisk, 4K sector issues, gpt. It's all too screwy
on gentoo install media and poorly documented. For peak sake, the
livedvd-12 does not even have gptfdisk on it.

So I'm going to install raid1 via ubuntu and then install gentoo over
it. That way, the dual raid1 disks should be setup and the install
will mostly mirror the handbook.

Maybe that will work.... Maybe not, but, I'm done with
Gentoo's lack of current (or poor) documentation on raid et all.
That's the reason that grub2 is still masked: no current documentation.

The handbook still says to use fdisk to prepare 4K sector hard drives,
there is no GPT formatting tools; and too much out of date information.

The doc folks just ignore the obvious; been down that path too.
Hell, I've even to pay folks to just bring any of the numerous
(onerous) raid install docs up to date; to no avail.

thanks for the input.
James