Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Overlays - mask everything except a specific package?

Hi,
I'm looking for a ways to:

1) List all contents of a specific overlay including version numbers.

2) Mask everything in an overlay except exactly what I actually want installed.

Anyone know how to do this?

For instance, I use the init6 overlay to get handbrake but I don't
want to use nvidia-drivers & nvidia-settings from the init6 overlay
even if their version numbers are higher.

Clearly, I can play with masking specific package revisions, but
that's a lot of work and doesn't clearly say where I get a package
when the version numbers are identical.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> * I'm looking for a ways to:
>
> 1) List all contents of a specific overlay including version numbers.
>
> 2) Mask everything in an overlay except exactly what I actually want installed.
>
> * Anyone know how to do this?
>
> * For instance, I use the init6 overlay to get handbrake but I don't
> want to use nvidia-drivers & nvidia-settings from the init6 overlay
> even if their version numbers are higher.
>
> * Clearly, I can play with masking specific package revisions, but
> that's a lot of work and doesn't clearly say where I get a package
> when the version numbers are identical.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

As for apparently listing the contents of an overlay, once the overlay
is added and sync'ed eix -Oc seems to sort of work with the
unfortunate requirement that you have to add and sync first...

- Mark

c2stable ~ # eix -Oc
[N] app-accessibility/caribou (~0.4.1-r1[2]): Input assistive
technology intended for switch and pointer users
[N] app-emulation/open-vm-tools (~2011.11.20.535097[1]): Opensourced
tools for VMware guests
[N] app-emulation/open-vm-tools-kmod (~2011.11.20.535097[1]):
Opensourced tools for VMware guests
[i] app-emulation/vmware-modules (264.2[1]@02/18/2012): VMware kernel modules
[i] app-emulation/vmware-player (4.0.2.591240[1]@02/18/2012): Emulate
a complete PC on your PC without the usual performance overhead of
most emulators
[i] app-emulation/vmware-tools (8.8.1.528992[1]@11/23/2011): VMware
Tools for guest operating systems
[N] app-emulation/vmware-vix (~1.11.1.528992[1]): VMware VIX API for Linux
[N] app-emulation/vmware-workstation (~8.0.2.591240[1]): Emulate a
complete PC on your PC without the usual performance overhead of most
emulators
[N] app-emulation/wine (1.2.3): free implementation of Windows(tm) on Unix
[N] app-emulation/vmware-converter [1] (--): Converts a complete PC on
your PC without the usual performance overhead of most emulators
[N] app-emulation/vmware-server [1] (--): VMware Server for Linux
[N] app-emulation/vmware-server-console [1] (--): VMware Remote
Console for Linux
[N] app-emulation/vmware-vsphere-cli [1] (~4.1.0.254719): VMware
vSphere Command-Line Interface
[N] app-misc/mc (4.8.1-r1): GNU Midnight Commander is a text based file manager
[N] dev-util/metro (~9999[2]): release metatool used for creating
Gentoo and Funtoo releases
[N] games-fps/prey [2] (~20090219): First person shooter from 3D Realms
[N] games-fps/prey-data [2] (~20090219): First person shooter from 3D Realms
[N] gnome-extra/gnome-tweak-tool (~3.2.2-r2[2]): Tool to customize
GNOME 3 options
[i] media-video/mplayer (1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1@02/21/2012): Media
Player for Linux
[i] media-video/nvidia-settings (290.10@02/21/2012): NVIDIA Linux X11
Settings Utility
[D] media-video/handbrake [2] (0.9.5@10/30/2011 -> ??): Open-source
DVD to MPEG-4 converter.
[N] net-irc/irssi (0.8.15): A modular textUI IRC client with IPv6 support
[N] net-libs/webkit-gtk (1.6.1-r301(3)): Open source web browser engine
[N] net-wireless/gnome-bluetooth (2.32.0-r1(2)): Fork of bluez-gnome
focused on integration with GNOME
[N] sys-kernel/vanilla-sources (3.2.2(3.2.2)): Full sources for the Linux kernel
[N] sys-kernel/geek-sources [2] (~3.2.6(3.2.6)): Full sources for the
Linux kernel including: fedora, grsecurity, tomoyo, and other patches
[N] sys-kernel/rh-sources [2] (~2.6.32.220): Full sources including
the Red Hat Enterprise Linux sources patchset for the 2.6 kernel tree
[D] virtual/linux-sources (2.6[2]@10/30/2011 -> 0): Virtual for Linux
kernel sources
[i] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers (295.20-r1@02/18/2012): NVIDIA X11
driver and GLX libraries
[1] "vmware" /var/lib/layman/vmware
[2] "init6" /var/lib/layman/init6

Found 29 matches.
c2stable ~ #

Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:23:21 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I'm looking for a ways to:
>
> 1) List all contents of a specific overlay including version numbers.

Run eix-remote update to add all layman overlays to eix's database, then
you caqn use it to search specific overlays.

> 2) Mask everything in an overlay except exactly what I actually want
> installed.

The way I do this is to layman -a the overlay but not put it in
make.conf. Then I symlink only the ebuilds I want to my local overlay. By
symlinking instead of copying, I automatically get updates to that
package.

--
Neil Bothwick

Advanced: (adj.) doesn't work yet, but it's pretty close. See: bug,
glitch.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:23:21 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> * *I'm looking for a ways to:
>>
>> 1) List all contents of a specific overlay including version numbers.
>
> Run eix-remote update to add all layman overlays to eix's database, then
> you caqn use it to search specific overlays.
>
>> 2) Mask everything in an overlay except exactly what I actually want
>> installed.
>
> The way I do this is to layman -a the overlay but not put it in
> make.conf. Then I symlink only the ebuilds I want to my local overlay. By
> symlinking instead of copying, I automatically get updates to that
> package.
>

> --
> Neil Bothwick

Interesting idea Neil. Thanks.

- Mark

Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Willie WY Wong

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 08:04:36PM +0000, Penguin Lover Neil Bothwick squawked:
> > 2) Mask everything in an overlay except exactly what I actually want
> > installed.
>
> The way I do this is to layman -a the overlay but not put it in
> make.conf. Then I symlink only the ebuilds I want to my local overlay. By
> symlinking instead of copying, I automatically get updates to that
> package.

Neat! I should've thought of that.

I guess you actually symlink the directory?

Would there be any problem with eclass and such?

Cheers

et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 02-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:19:03 +0100, Willie WY Wong wrote:

> > The way I do this is to layman -a the overlay but not put it in
> > make.conf. Then I symlink only the ebuilds I want to my local
> > overlay. By symlinking instead of copying, I automatically get
> > updates to that package.
> >
> Neat! I should've thought of that.
>
> I guess you actually symlink the directory?

Yes.

> Would there be any problem with eclass and such?

There may be, either with an eclass or a dependency version that only
exists in the overlay. Sometimes I've had to symlink a dependency or two
too. I don't recall ever hitting this with an eclass, but it is possible.

--
Neil Bothwick

THE BORG: Calm, Cool and Collective...