Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Philip Webb

Default libreoffice-3.4.5.2: getting LibreOffice Help fails

120219 Hartmut Figge wrote:
> after emerging libreoffice-3.4.5.2 i tried getting help by pressing F1.
> No luck, something flashed shortly on the xterm
> resulting in several blank lines. i was told to use the useflag java
> Grudgingly, because that would install another 44 packages,
> i have reemerged libreoffice, but pressing F1 still doesn't call 'Help'.

I removed Java from my machine a few months ago
& lack of internal help for LO was the only thing which disappeared.
My solution was to download the LO help files from their site (PDFs),
which are actually easier to read + search than the internal help.

HTH

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
walt

On 02/19/2012 08:33 AM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> after emerging libreoffice-3.4.5.2 i tried getting the help of
> libreoffice by pressing F1. No luck, something flashed shortly on the
> xterm resulting in several blank lines. Trying 'loffice | tee
> so-log.txt' gave this:
>
> http://www.triffids.de/pub/screenshot/lo120219-2.png (18 KB)
>
> Not very helpful. Well, after emerging libreoffice i was told to use
> the useflag java if recognizing difficulties. Grudgingly, because that
> would install another 44 packages, i have reemerged libreoffice. Thanks
> ccache this time the compilation took only 33 minutes.
>
> But pressing F1 still doesn't call 'Help'. I do not see anything related
> under Tools->Options but perhaps someone of you knows about a solution.

The Help function (on my machines) displays help.libreoffice.org in my web
browser. Running dbus-monitor shows the URL being sent, but I have trouble
figuring out who is the receiver -- perhaps some gnome daemon that calls my
gnome default web browser, but that's just a guess.

Is your dbus useflag enabled?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Hartmut Figge

Philip Webb:

>& lack of internal help for LO was the only thing which disappeared.
>My solution was to download the LO help files from their site (PDFs),
>which are actually easier to read + search than the internal help.

Isn't the help context-sensitive?

Hartmut
--
Usenet-ABC-Wiki http://www.usenet-abc.de/wiki/
Von Usern fuer User :-)

Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Hartmut Figge

walt:

>The Help function (on my machines) displays help.libreoffice.org in my web
>browser.

I have assumed, that the browser would be used, but i couldn't find a
place in libreoffice, in which i could tell it, *what* my browser is.
And if libreoffice cannot found the browser...

> Running dbus-monitor shows the URL being sent, but I have trouble
>figuring out who is the receiver -- perhaps some gnome daemon that calls my
>gnome default web browser, but that's just a guess.
>
>Is your dbus useflag enabled?

[ebuild R ] app-office/libreoffice-3.4.5.2 USE="branding dbus gtk
java nsplugin opengl python vba (-aqua) -binfilter -custom-cflags -debug
-eds -gnome -graphite -gstreamer -jemalloc -kde -mysql -odk -pdfimport
-test -webdav" 0 kB

How to tell libreoffice which browser it should use? I am not using any
desktop-environment like Gnome etc., icewm is all what i need. :-D

Hartmut

Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Hartmut Figge

Hartmut Figge:

>How to tell libreoffice which browser it should use?

Assuming that nowadays Firefox is used by many people i experimented.

hafi@i5_64 ~ $ sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/affe /usr/bin/firefox

'affe' is the name of my browser which in reality is a daily compiled
trunk-seamonkey with some private patches.

After setting the above link i got additional information after pressing
F1 in libreoffice:

hafi@i5_64 ~ $ lowriter
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 622: x-www-browser: command not found

I don't know at the moment, what this xdg-open is, but it was obvious
that a x-www-browser was missing. So my next step was

hafi@i5_64 ~ $ sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/affe /usr/bin/x-www-browser

And now pressing F1 gives me the help in my browser.
Unfortunately not in a new window. Instead in new tabs in my running
browser, and for each F1 a new tab. Bah. But that can be tweaked.

But first i should look into that ominous xdg-open.

Hartmut

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Hartmut Figge

Hartmut Figge:

>But first i should look into that ominous xdg-open.

'man xdg-open' didn't help much, but xdg-open is part of xdg-utils. And
there is e.g. xdg-settings. Looking into 'man xdg-settings' and then

hafi@i5_64 ~ $ xdg-settings --list
Known properties:
default-url-scheme-handler Default handler for URL scheme
default-web-browser Default web browser
hafi@i5_64 ~ $ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
xdg-settings: unknown desktop environment

No wonder, there is not such thing as a desktop environment here. Now it
seems that libreoffice assumes that it is run in a desktop environment.
Grmbl.

Hartmut

Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
James Broadhead

On 19 February 2012 23:08, Hartmut Figge <h.figge@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hartmut Figge:
>
>>But first i should look into that ominous xdg-open.
>
> 'man xdg-open' didn't help much, but xdg-open is part of xdg-utils. And
> there is e.g. xdg-settings. Looking into 'man xdg-settings' and then
>
> hafi@i5_64 ~ $ xdg-settings --list
> Known properties:
> *default-url-scheme-handler * *Default handler for URL scheme
> *default-web-browser * * * * * Default web browser
> hafi@i5_64 ~ $ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
> xdg-settings: unknown desktop environment
>
> No wonder, there is not such thing as a desktop environment here. Now it
> seems that libreoffice assumes that it is run in a desktop environment.
> Grmbl.
>
> Hartmut

xdg-open is intended to select an appropriate binary using the MIME
type of the argument file. In the absence of gnome-open or kfmclient
(the KDE equivalent), it's supposed to parse the files in .local to
determine what to open.

If you create an appropriate binding to your browser, that should do
the trick (using xdg-mime, which is cumbersome but does the job).