Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Grant

Default Anybody using lightdm?

Has anyone set up lightdm? I'm using it with the default config file
but I get a black screen with no error in Xorg.0.log. gdm works fine.
Any ideas?

- Grant

Sat Feb 18 23:30:02 2012
From: =?UTF-8?B?6YOR5paH6L6JKFRlY2hsaXZlIFpoZW5nKQ==?=
<techlivezheng@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 05:18:38 +0800
To: "Discussion about the Arch User Repository (AUR)"
<aur-general@archlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [aur-general] Which aur uploader is better, aurploader or burp?
Sender: aur-general-bounces@archlinux.org

2012/2/18 Stefan Husmann <stefan-husmann@t-online.de>:
> Am 16.02.2012 23:04, schrieb =E9=83=91=E6=96=87=E8=BE=89(Techlive Zheng):
>
>> I realize there are two AUR uploader helper, aurploader[1] and
>> burp[2]=EF=BC=9FWhich one is you guys using? What's the pro and con?
>>
>> Thank you
>> Techlive Zheng
>>
>> [1]:https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=3D23393
>> [2]:https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=3D37216
>>

> There is alao aurup[3]. As you can see from the AUR-ID, the by far
> oldest AUR uploader. Works fine here.
>
> [3]https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=3D5848

I added aurup to the answer of "How can I upload to AUR without using
the web interface?" in FAQ section of AUR wiki page.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone set up lightdm? *I'm using it with the default config file
> but I get a black screen with no error in Xorg.0.log. *gdm works fine.
> *Any ideas?

I'm not using lightdm, but my understanding is that it's as minimalist
as you can get while still technically using a display manager. Check
into its configuration in /etc/config, etc. Find out exactly what it's
using (launching) for an xinitrc.

Also check out ~/.X*, and see if there are any user-local errors or logs of use.

--
:wq

Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Grant

> Has anyone set up lightdm? *I'm using it with the default config file
> but I get a black screen with no error in Xorg.0.log. *gdm works fine.
> *Any ideas?
>
> - Grant

I switched to SLiM and I like it but I wish there were a way to
restart and/or shutdown from the login screen. I had to emerge xterm
to make it work BTW.

- Grant

Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Grant

>> Has anyone set up lightdm? *I'm using it with the default config file
>> but I get a black screen with no error in Xorg.0.log. *gdm works fine.
>> *Any ideas?
>
> I'm not using lightdm, but my understanding is that it's as minimalist
> as you can get while still technically using a display manager. Check
> into its configuration in /etc/config, etc. Find out exactly what it's
> using (launching) for an xinitrc.
>
> Also check out ~/.X*, and see if there are any user-local errors or logs of use.

Thanks, got it working by recompiling udev as mentioned in the last
comment here:

http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org/2011/09/18/lightdm-on-gentoo-artwork-needed/

- Grant

Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Michael Cook

On 02/18/2012 05:15 PM, Grant wrote:
>> Has anyone set up lightdm? I'm using it with the default config
>> file but I get a black screen with no error in Xorg.0.log. gdm
>> works fine. Any ideas?
>>
>> - Grant
>
> I switched to SLiM and I like it but I wish there were a way to
> restart and/or shutdown from the login screen. I had to emerge
> xterm to make it work BTW.
>
> - Grant

You can type reboot or shutdown for the user then the root password
and it will do as you requested.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Grant

>>> Has anyone set up lightdm? *I'm using it with the default config
>>> file but I get a black screen with no error in Xorg.0.log. *gdm
>>> works fine. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> I switched to SLiM and I like it but I wish there were a way to
>> restart and/or shutdown from the login screen. *I had to emerge
>> xterm to make it work BTW.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> You can type reboot or shutdown for the user then the root password
> and it will do as you requested.

The problem there is sharing the root password on multi-user systems.

- Grant

Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:30:23 -0800

> >> I switched to SLiM and I like it but I wish there were a way to
> >> restart and/or shutdown from the login screen. *I had to emerge
> >> xterm to make it work BTW.
> >>
> >> - Grant
> >>

> > You can type reboot or shutdown for the user then the root password
> > and it will do as you requested.
>
> The problem there is sharing the root password on multi-user systems.
>
> - Grant

do your $MAGIC in /etc/sudoers so users can run

sudo shutdown -h now

and no need to share root passwords

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Mick

On Sunday 19 Feb 2012 00:30:23 Grant wrote:

> >> I switched to SLiM and I like it but I wish there were a way to
> >> restart and/or shutdown from the login screen. I had to emerge
> >> xterm to make it work BTW.
> >>
> >> - Grant
> >
> > You can type reboot or shutdown for the user then the root password
> > and it will do as you requested.
>
> The problem there is sharing the root password on multi-user systems.

Unless you allow shutdown in sudo for your user group?

Mick

Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Grant

>> > You can type reboot or shutdown for the user then the root password
>> > and it will do as you requested.
>>
>> The problem there is sharing the root password on multi-user systems.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> do your $MAGIC in /etc/sudoers so users can run
>
> sudo shutdown -h now
>
> and no need to share root passwords

Yes, but I've been in the situation with a remote machine where GDM
will load but XFCE4 won't and I need the machine rebooted manually by
a local user. There's always the power button but that killed a
machine of mine just a few days ago. SLiM will reboot or shutdown if
you enter reboot or shutdown for the username and the root password,
but it doesn't seem to work if you use the password of a user with
rights to reboot or shutdown. I just tried it.

- Grant

Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 2012-02-18 23:15, schrieb Grant:

> I switched to SLiM and I like it but I wish there were a way to
> restart and/or shutdown from the login screen. I had to emerge xterm
> to make it work BTW.

Could someone point out what is bad about gdm?
Does it matter that much?

What advantages does it have to use lightdm/slim/something else?

Does it matter on modern powerful machines? Less packages to merge?