Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Grant

Default alternative to thunderbird?

I just switched from firefox to chromium (thanks to you guys) and I'm
loving it. What would you recommend for getting away from
thunderbird? I'm looking for something simple and minimal.

- Grant

Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:28:44 -0800
Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just switched from firefox to chromium (thanks to you guys) and I'm
> loving it. What would you recommend for getting away from
> thunderbird? I'm looking for something simple and minimal.
>
> - Grant

claws-mail

It takes some getting used to as all the nice
cute gui stuff is not present. It sends and receives mail, does a very
good job of filtering, is somewhat passable with rendering html mail
(and absolutely refuses to generate it). Everything else that bloats
mail clients is absent.

It goes without saying that under no circumstances must you even
consider using kdepim

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just switched from firefox to chromium (thanks to you guys) and I'm
> loving it. *What would you recommend for getting away from
> thunderbird? *I'm looking for something simple and minimal.

I still stick with Thunderbird or Evolution, myself. Once upon a time,
I used Balsa, though. You might look at that.

If you're already building KDE, KMail was decent.

--
:wq

Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 12:28:44 -0800
> Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just switched from firefox to chromium (thanks to you guys) and I'm
>> loving it. *What would you recommend for getting away from
>> thunderbird? *I'm looking for something simple and minimal.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> claws-mail
>
> It takes some getting used to as all the nice
> cute gui stuff is not present. It sends and receives mail, does a very
> good job of filtering, is somewhat passable with rendering html mail
> (and absolutely refuses to generate it). Everything else that bloats
> mail clients is absent.
>
> It goes without saying that under no circumstances must you even
> consider using kdepim

Yeah, I should probably add a disclaimer: I haven't seriously used KDE
since before either KDE3 or GNOME 2 came out...

--
:wq

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Grant

>> I just switched from firefox to chromium (thanks to you guys) and I'm
>> loving it. *What would you recommend for getting away from
>> thunderbird? *I'm looking for something simple and minimal.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> claws-mail
>
> It takes some getting used to as all the nice
> cute gui stuff is not present. It sends and receives mail, does a very
> good job of filtering, is somewhat passable with rendering html mail
> (and absolutely refuses to generate it). Everything else that bloats
> mail clients is absent.
>
> It goes without saying that under no circumstances must you even
> consider using kdepim

Thank you all. Loving claws-mail so far.

- Grant

Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Alex Schuster

Michael Mol writes:

> If you're already building KDE, KMail was decent.

Yes. It was.

Wonko

Old 02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 22:26:42 +0100
Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:

> Michael Mol writes:
>
> > If you're already building KDE, KMail was decent.
>
> Yes. It was.
>
> Wonko

How true.

kmail jumped the shark at 4.3, jumped the couch at 4.4 and everything
since has been a descent into madness.

A classic case of what not to do and "second project syndrome".
I'll bet CS profs will be using it soon as a example case of how
projects can lose focus and die.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com

Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Grant

>>> I just switched from firefox to chromium (thanks to you guys) and I'm
>>> loving it. *What would you recommend for getting away from
>>> thunderbird? *I'm looking for something simple and minimal.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>

>> claws-mail
>>
>> It takes some getting used to as all the nice
>> cute gui stuff is not present. It sends and receives mail, does a very
>> good job of filtering, is somewhat passable with rendering html mail
>> (and absolutely refuses to generate it). Everything else that bloats
>> mail clients is absent.
>>
>> It goes without saying that under no circumstances must you even
>> consider using kdepim
>
> Thank you all. *Loving claws-mail so far.
>
> - Grant

claws-mail is great. I tried postler too but it wouldn't work right.

- Grant

Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Michael Trausch

I liked Claws when I used it before. If you really want lightweight, though, try mutt, which is a terminal-based mail program that supports OpenPGP and IMAP.

There is also a new option, but it is written in Ruby and is therefore not lightweight. But it is also a terminal client and allegedly is better than Mutt, at least in the eyes of those who wrote it. Ruby people ted to be hyperbolic, but it probably at least merits a try. I do not, however, remember its name.

--

Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich-powered HTC G2

Please excuse any typos.