Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Alex Schuster

Default /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

meino.cramer@gmx.de writes:

> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 16:52]:

> > I want to play Quake3. games-fps/quake3 works, but somehow extra stuff
> > (maps, models) I downloaded and put into /opt/quake3/baseq3 is not
> > being used. I think I had such problems before, so I used to run
> > games-fps/quake3-bin instead. I have no sound.
> >
> > There are error messages:
> >
> > /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> > Could not open /dev/dsp
> >
> > This is true, even as root I cannot echo something to this device.
> > lsof and fuser return nothing, so I wonder what is using the device.
> >
> > I had sound problems with Quake3 in the past, and found a wrapper
> > script quake3-sdl-sound[*], that worked. But now it doesn't.
> >
> > Any ideas? There will be a big match going on with my little sister
> > this evening, so you see this is a really really important issue!

I just found a workaround: It seems games-fps/quake3 looks for stuff
in /usr/share/games/quake3 only. I made this a symlink to /opt/quake3,
and now all the custom maps and models are found. But still I would like
t know how to make such applications work again.

> Hi Alex,
>
> try (as root)
>
> fuser /dev/dsp
>
> to figure out, which task helds that device...

I get no output at all.

Wonko

Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 17:36]:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de writes:
>
> > Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 16:52]:
>
> > > I want to play Quake3. games-fps/quake3 works, but somehow extra stuff
> > > (maps, models) I downloaded and put into /opt/quake3/baseq3 is not
> > > being used. I think I had such problems before, so I used to run
> > > games-fps/quake3-bin instead. I have no sound.
> > >
> > > There are error messages:
> > >
> > > /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> > > Could not open /dev/dsp
> > >
> > > This is true, even as root I cannot echo something to this device.
> > > lsof and fuser return nothing, so I wonder what is using the device.
> > >
> > > I had sound problems with Quake3 in the past, and found a wrapper
> > > script quake3-sdl-sound[*], that worked. But now it doesn't.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? There will be a big match going on with my little sister
> > > this evening, so you see this is a really really important issue!
>
> I just found a workaround: It seems games-fps/quake3 looks for stuff
> in /usr/share/games/quake3 only. I made this a symlink to /opt/quake3,
> and now all the custom maps and models are found. But still I would like
> t know how to make such applications work again.
>
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > try (as root)
> >
> > fuser /dev/dsp
> >
> > to figure out, which task helds that device...
>
> I get no output at all.
>
> Wonko

?Hu?

The access rights to that device are ok...?

mcc

Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Alex Schuster

meino.cramer@gmx.de writes:

> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 17:36]:
> > meino.cramer@gmx.de writes:

> > > try (as root)
> > >
> > > fuser /dev/dsp
> > >
> > > to figure out, which task helds that device...
> >
> > I get no output at all.

> ?Hu?
>
> The access rights to that device are ok...?

Yes, read-write access for all in the audio group:

wonko@weird ~ $ ls -l /dev/dsp
crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 3 Feb 18 07:23 /dev/dsp

And otherwise I would expect a permission denied error.

Maybe it works when I log out of KDE and have a minimal environment, but
I cannot do this now, too much important stuff is running at the moment.

Wonko

Old 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 18:20]:
> meino.cramer@gmx.de writes:
>
> > Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 17:36]:

> > > I get no output at all.
>
> > ?Hu?
> >
> > The access rights to that device are ok...?
>
> Yes, read-write access for all in the audio group:
>
> wonko@weird ~ $ ls -l /dev/dsp
> crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 14, 3 Feb 18 07:23 /dev/dsp
>
> And otherwise I would expect a permission denied error.
>
> Maybe it works when I log out of KDE and have a minimal environment, but
> I cannot do this now, too much important stuff is running at the moment.
>
> Wonko

I didnt know the origin of the error message "resource busy"...so if
it had come out of the application...even an error message can e wrong

May be it would help to unload the sound related modules from the
kernel and modprobe -a them again?

Should have the same effect as the reboot without a global hickup of
the whole system...

just a shot in the dark...

fingers crossed!

mcc