Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Alex Schuster

Default /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

Hi there!

I want to play Quake3. games-fps/quake3 works, but somehow extra stuff
(maps, models) I downloaded and put into /opt/quake3/baseq3 is not being
used. I think I had such problems before, so I used to run
games-fps/quake3-bin instead. I have no sound.

There are error messages:

/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Could not open /dev/dsp

This is true, even as root I cannot echo something to this device. lsof
and fuser return nothing, so I wonder what is using the device.

I had sound problems with Quake3 in the past, and found a wrapper script
quake3-sdl-sound[*], that worked. But now it doesn't.

Any ideas? There will be a big match going on with my little sister this
evening, so you see this is a really really important issue!

Wonko

Old 02-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 16:52]:
> Hi there!
>
> I want to play Quake3. games-fps/quake3 works, but somehow extra stuff
> (maps, models) I downloaded and put into /opt/quake3/baseq3 is not being
> used. I think I had such problems before, so I used to run
> games-fps/quake3-bin instead. I have no sound.
>

> There are error messages:
>
> /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> Could not open /dev/dsp
>
> This is true, even as root I cannot echo something to this device. lsof
> and fuser return nothing, so I wonder what is using the device.
>
> I had sound problems with Quake3 in the past, and found a wrapper script
> quake3-sdl-sound[*], that worked. But now it doesn't.
>
> Any ideas? There will be a big match going on with my little sister this
> evening, so you see this is a really really important issue!
>
> Wonko

Hi Alex,

try (as root)

fuser /dev/dsp

to figure out, which task helds that device...

Best regards,
mcc

Old 02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Michael Mol

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM, <meino.cramer@gmx.de> wrote:
> Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> [12-02-18 16:52]:
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I want to play Quake3. games-fps/quake3 works, but somehow extra stuff
>> (maps, models) I downloaded and put into /opt/quake3/baseq3 is not being
>> used. I think I had such problems before, so I used to run
>> games-fps/quake3-bin instead. I have no sound.
>>

>> There are error messages:
>>
>> /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>> Could not open /dev/dsp
>>
>> This is true, even as root I cannot echo something to this device. lsof
>> and fuser return nothing, so I wonder what is using the device.
>>
>> I had sound problems with Quake3 in the past, and found a wrapper script
>> quake3-sdl-sound[*], that worked. But now it doesn't.
>>
>> Any ideas? There will be a big match going on with my little sister this
>> evening, so you see this is a really really important issue!
>>
>> * * * Wonko
>>

> Hi Alex,
>
> try (as root)
>
> * *fuser /dev/dsp
>
> to figure out, which task helds that device...

Typically, IME, Flash.

It should be possible to launch the binary using a wrapper that
redirects things to either ALSA or PulseAudio. I don't remember,
exactly; it's been a long time since I've had to deal with OSS-only
apps.

--
:wq