-   -   rsync from ext3 to vfat? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/634445-rsync-ext3-vfat.html)

02-17-2012 07:32 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:12:40PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
> on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
> I think I want to match only the name, creation date & file size. The
> eSATA drive needs to be vfat due to limitations of the audio/video
> device it will be plugged into.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

FWIW, I routinely backup important directories with rsync from ext3 and ext4
file systems to vfat, with no additional options. The command I use is:

sudo rsync -vvvruxi --size-only --exclude-from=/home/rh/rsync-home-excl-list /home/rh/ /mnt/Datastor/Gentoo/
for the home directory.

HTH.

Terry

"mike@trausch.us" 02-17-2012 08:03 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On 02/17/2012 03:12 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
> on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
> I think I want to match only the name, creation date & file size. The
> eSATA drive needs to be vfat due to limitations of the audio/video
> device it will be plugged into.

rsync works just fine with any normal set of options when using any sort
of FAT as a destination. There are, of course, a couple of gotchas:

- FAT has limitations on file sizes.
- FAT cannot store permissions or ACLs
- FAT does not support extended attributes

Other than that, though, you should be good.

--- Mike

--- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Manuel McLure 02-17-2012 09:11 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM, mike@trausch.us <mike@trausch.us> wrote:
> rsync works just fine with any normal set of options when using any sort
> of FAT as a destination. *There are, of course, a couple of gotchas:
>
> *- FAT has limitations on file sizes.
> *- FAT cannot store permissions or ACLs
> *- FAT does not support extended attributes
>
> Other than that, though, you should be good.

Add "FAT considers two filenames that are the same except for case as
the same filename" to that list. NTFS has the same limitation.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,

"mike@trausch.us" 02-17-2012 09:18 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On 02/17/2012 05:11 PM, Manuel McLure wrote:
> Add "FAT considers two filenames that are the same except for case as
> the same filename" to that list. NTFS has the same limitation.

I had forgotten about that. FAT is always case-sensitive.

While it is possible to change the rules slightly for NTFS, there are
serious repurcussions if you do. NTFS supports the notion of a POSIX
"namespace", but if you use it and have multiple files that match
according to the Win32 rules, one of them will be inaccessible to
applications that use the Win32 namespace.

--- Mike

--- Carveth Read, “Logic”

Michael Mol 02-17-2012 09:22 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Manuel McLure <manuel@mclure.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM, mike@trausch.us <mike@trausch.us> wrote:
>> rsync works just fine with any normal set of options when using any sort
>> of FAT as a destination. *There are, of course, a couple of gotchas:
>>
>> *- FAT has limitations on file sizes.
>> *- FAT cannot store permissions or ACLs
>> *- FAT does not support extended attributes
>>
>> Other than that, though, you should be good.
>
> Add "FAT considers two filenames that are the same except for case as
> the same filename" to that list. NTFS has the same limitation.

No. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100625

However, ntfs-3g only creates files in the POSIX namespace on NTFS,
which means that, depending on the filename, some files you create on
Linux won't be able to be opened by apps (such as the Windows shell)
that rely on assumptions not violated by the DOS and Win32 namespaces.

I ran into that one. >.>

--
:wq

Mark Knecht 02-17-2012 09:31 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM, <ny6p01@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:12:40PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>> * *I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
>> on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
>> I think I want to match only the name, creation date & file size. The
>> eSATA drive needs to be vfat due to limitations of the audio/video
>> device it will be plugged into.
>>
>> * *Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>

> FWIW, I routinely backup important directories with rsync from ext3 and ext4
> file systems to vfat, with no additional options. The command I use is:
>
> sudo rsync -vvvruxi --size-only --exclude-from=/home/rh/rsync-home-excl-list /home/rh/ /mnt/Datastor/Gentoo/
> for the home directory.
>
> HTH.
>
> Terry

Thanks Terry. I'm through about 30GB of the 400GB I want to back up.
It looks like it's working.

The --size-only option was what I needed. (Assuming it completes
without any other problems.)

Cheers,
Mark

NOTE: To others discussing the various positives and negatives of
Windows file systems please note that I had no choice in the matter.
The only thing this piece of equipment accepts on it's USB port is
VFAT.

Paul Hartman 02-18-2012 06:53 AM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> NOTE: To others discussing the various positives and negatives of
> Windows file systems please note that I had no choice in the matter.
> The only thing this piece of equipment accepts on it's USB port is
> VFAT.

If you run into any unreadable files when reading it on the
destination equipment, it's possibly due to incompatible filenames.
Try mounting vfat with check=strict and possibly changing the codepage
to whatever the destination system wants it to be.

If you don't use symbols or excessively long file names or extensions
I think it should be fine. (I think there's a 256 character full
path+filename limit as well on Windows systems)

Stefan Schmiedl 02-20-2012 11:31 AM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:12:40 -0800
Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
> on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
> I think I want to match only the name, creation date & file size. The
> eSATA drive needs to be vfat due to limitations of the audio/video
> device it will be plugged into.

You will have problems if you try to rsync a maildir folder:

stefan@g128 .maildir % ls -l cur
total 12772
-rw------- 1 stefan stefan 6177 27. Jul 2011 1311745926.M692969P7969.g128,S=6177,W=6324:2,RS

The : in the filename will throw *fat as well as ntfs.
At least it did when I tried it here last time.

The devil's in the details, as always.
s.

Frank Steinmetzger 02-20-2012 03:45 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 01:31:38PM +0100, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
> > on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
>
> You will have problems if you try to rsync a maildir folder:
>
> stefan@g128 .maildir % ls -l cur
> total 12772
> -rw------- 1 stefan stefan 6177 27. Jul 2011 1311745926.M692969P7969.g128,S=6177,W=6324:2,RS

you can write a colon in an NTFS filename, you won't be able to access the
file in Windows though, due to it using : as drive separator. But a funny
quirk is that you can't create dot-files in Explorer (".someting"), because it
thinks the file has no name then, but only an extension. One has to use the
console then.

OTOH the OP wants to use the FAT disk in a media device. I don't expect it to
handle maildir. *g*
--
Gru | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Michael Trausch 02-20-2012 03:52 PM

rsync from ext3 to vfat?

Actually, NTFS uses the colon, too, for identifying alternate data streams...

Remember, kids, NTFS is a database, not a file system. It is therefore quite convoluted.

--

Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich powered Kindle Fire!

Pardon any typos...