Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Mark Knecht

Default rsync from ext3 to vfat?

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 01:31:38PM +0100, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>> > * *I'm looking for what rsync options I can use to copy existing files
>> > on an ext3 file system to an external eSATA drive formatted with vfat.
>>
>> You will have problems if you try to rsync a maildir folder:
>>
>> stefan@g128 .maildir % ls -l cur
>> total 12772
>> -rw------- 1 stefan stefan * *6177 27. Jul 2011 *1311745926.M692969P7969.g128,S=6177,W=6324:2,RS
>
> you can write a colon in an NTFS filename, you won't be able to access the
> file in Windows though, due to it using : as drive separator. But a funny
> quirk is that you can't create dot-files in Explorer (".someting"), because it
> thinks the file has no name then, but only an extension. One has to use the
> console then.
>
> OTOH the OP wants to use the FAT disk in a media device. I don't expect it to
> handle maildir. *g*

In my case these are just *.mp4 files ripped by HandBrake and placed
on a FAT drive as my HDTV has a USB port and the ability to play files
from a USB drive.

The setup is working very nicely at this point. The family likes being
able to use the TV instead of watching over Ethernet on a computer.
The TV can also access the machine where I rip DVDs but that requires
the computer to be turned on and a web server running which isn't
always the case.

Anyway, it seems like people answering want to make this more
difficult than it was, or answer some question other than what I
asked. I have no problem with that - do what you want here in this
thread, I'm a supporter - but it doesn't necessarily address my
concerns.

At this point everything works. The only thing I'm putting up is that
the rsync operation still tries to change owner & group, cannot do it
on fat, and gives me an error message about each of those problems.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 02-21-2012, 01:21 AM
Frank Steinmetzger

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:57:45AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Anyway, it seems like people answering want to make this more
> difficult than it was, or answer some question other than what I
> asked. I have no problem with that - do what you want here in this
> thread, I'm a supporter - but it doesn't necessarily address my
> concerns.

That's what generally happens in a Linux ML. It's all about choice and the
freedom thereof. ;-)
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

I couldn’t remember that telephone joke at first, but then it rang a bell.