Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Alex Schuster

Default I want to play movies without hangs

Paul Hartman writes:

> I realize this thread is bigger than an encyclopedia by now, so I
> apologize if this has already been suggested.

Well, I'm happy for any input on this This problem is really annoying.

> I'm curious if you look at /proc/interrupts if the disk with I/O
> problems is sharing interrupt with some other device. Maybe there is a
> conflict of some sort.
>
> On my motherboard, one of the SATA controllers shares an interrupt
> with the soundcard, for example.

Good point. But this does not seem to be the case. The only lines that
have multiple entries are two interrupts with ohci_hdc and snd_hda_intel, that should be no problem. The two ahci entries have their own
interrupts.

I did not yet find the time to remove the plasmoids (all is fine in
other window managers, or for another user with a plain unconfigured KDE
desktop), today I dealt with a horrible and weird qt upgrade experience on
another PC. Finally I was able to downgrade to 4.7, and at least stuff is
working again there.

Wonko

Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> Is there a way to find out what is using swap? Maybe something related
> to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
> than ram.
>
> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.

Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/

There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying to
read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such a good
idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after half an hour I
rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.

I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and name,
and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only those
using more swap than specified. If interested you can download it here:
http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
You need to be root to see processes you do not own.

But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem happened
lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll wait for the
next time it happens.

Wonko

Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Michael Mol

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Dale writes:
>
>> Is there a way to find out what is using swap? *Maybe something related
>> to the video is on swap which at times can be slow, certainly slower
>> than ram.
>>
>> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
>
> Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
> searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
> http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
>
> There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying to
> read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such a good
> idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after half an hour I
> rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
>
> I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and name,
> and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only those
> using more swap than specified. If interested you can download it here:
> http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
> You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
>
> But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem happened
> lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll wait for the
> next time it happens.
>
> * * * *Wonko

sys-process/htop

--
:wq

Old 05-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Alex Schuster

Michael Mol writes:

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org>
> wrote:
> > Dale writes:
> >
> >> Is there a way to find out what is using swap? *Maybe something
> >> related to the video is on swap which at times can be slow,
> >> certainly slower than ram.
> >>
> >> I have always wondered how to find this out myself.
> >
> > Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
> > searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
> > http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
> >
> > There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying
> > to read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such
> > a good idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after
> > half an hour I rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
> >
> > I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and
> > name, and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only
> > those using more swap than specified. If interested you can download
> > it here: http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
> > You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
> >
> > But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem
> > happened lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll
> > wait for the next time it happens.
> >
> > * * * *Wonko
> >

> sys-process/htop

Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
process.

Wonko

Old 05-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Michael Mol

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Michael Mol writes:
>
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org>
>> wrote:

>> > Me too, so when I had this sudden swap problem for the first time, I
>> > searched for a method to do this and found a script here:
>> > http://northernmost.org/blog/find-out-what-is-using-your-swap/
>> >
>> > There's lots of information for all processes in /proc/<pid>/. Trying
>> > to read /proc/<pid>/mem (I think it was this file) in mc was not such
>> > a good idea, the system froze with lots of HD activity, and after
>> > half an hour I rebooted with Alt-SysRq-{K,E,I,S,U,B}.
>> >
>> > I improved the script a little, it allows sorting by PID, size and
>> > name, and can restrict the output to specific processes or show only
>> > those using more swap than specified. If interested you can download
>> > it here: http://www.wonkology.org/utils/getswap
>> > You need to be root to see processes you do not own.
>> >
>> > But of course, I forgot to run it after the sudden swap problem
>> > happened lately. So I still do not know what was going on there. I'll
>> > wait for the next time it happens.
>> >
>> > * * * *Wonko
>> >

>> sys-process/htop
>
> Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
> process.

Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
/proc can be added as a column.

--
:wq

Old 05-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Alex Schuster

Michael Mol wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org>
> wrote:

[about showing which processes use how much swap]

> > Michael Mol writes:
[...]
> >> sys-process/htop
> >
> > Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
> > process.
>
> Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
> /proc can be added as a column.

Whoa! This is amazing, I did not know that htop can do all this. Thanks!

But I still cannot get it to display the swap used by processes. When I
add NSWAP and CNSWAP columns, they are not displayed. I found some
information on that, looks to me like this is not really supported:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/479953/how-to-find-out-which-processes-are-swapping-in-linux
http://wiki.directi.com/display/tu/Understanding+Processes+in+Linux

Wonko

Old 05-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
<SNIP>
>>> sys-process/htop
>>
>> Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
>> process.
>
> Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
> /proc can be added as a column.
>
> --
> :wq

Anything in there show network through-put per process? I've been
looking for a way to monitor what's going to each of my VMs?

Cheers,
Mark

Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Michael Mol

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> Huh? I only see the total amount of swap being used, but no entry per
>>> process.
>>
>> Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
>> /proc can be added as a column.

> Anything in there show network through-put per process? I've been
> looking for a way to monitor what's going to each of my VMs?

NAFAIK. Though if you get a kernel patch that gets per-process socket
auditing added, then it should show up.

I usually use iftop for watching flows. There's another tool I
installed which handles some things (such as IPv6) better, but inara
and kaylee are still down, so I can't peek at their world files to
find out what it was.

--
:wq

Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> wrote:
>> <SNIP>

>>> Hit F2, and go down to 'columns'. Anything per-process found under
>>> /proc can be added as a column.
>
>> Anything in there show network through-put per process? I've been
>> looking for a way to monitor what's going to each of my VMs?
>
> NAFAIK. Though if you get a kernel patch that gets per-process socket
> auditing added, then it should show up.
>
> I usually use iftop for watching flows. There's another tool I
> installed which handles some things (such as IPv6) better, but inara
> and kaylee are still down, so I can't peek at their world files to
> find out what it was.
>
> --
> :wq

Thanks. iftop is interesting but seems more focused on the provider of
the media source and less on the sink. I also use nettop to watch
overall bitrates but I suspect you have that one also.

Assume I have 3 VMs running and they are all streaming media.
VM1->Netflix, VM2->Hulu, VM3->Amazon, etc. What I'm really interested
in is something that would tell me how much bandwidth each VM is
getting. Per-process would almost certainly do that, and maybe that's
what I'll eventually have to do, but I'm hoping to find some little
app that maybe someone has put together.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Alex Schuster

Mark Knecht writes:

> Anything in there show network through-put per process? I've been
> looking for a way to monitor what's going to each of my VMs?

net-analyzer/nethogs does that.

Wonko